英语PK台 第262期:欧美人的乔迁聚会
英语课
Dialogue:
(Jing Jing and Xiao Gao are planning the house warming party)
京晶和小高正在计划办一个庆祝迁入新居后“乔迁之喜”派对.
JJ: Xiao Gao, how's the guest list coming along?
京晶:小高,客人名单安排得怎么样了?
XG:It's pretty good, I've already thought of 30 people who we should invite.
小高:非常好,我已经想到了我们应该邀请的30个人了。
JJ:I think you should limit the guest list, after all we're on a tight budget. Hosting so many people could be really expensive.
京晶:我觉得你应该限制一下邀请名单,毕竟我们预算有限。邀请这么多人来玩还是挺贵的。
XG:You're right. What about invitations? Maybe we should use social media instead of paper invitations in order to cut down on costs.
小高:对哦。那请柬呢?也许我们应该用社交媒体而不是纸质邀请函来做以便削减一些开支。
JJ:Good idea, and make sure you request an RSVP so that we can plan for food and drinks better.
京晶:好主意。对了,确保你是要求对方“敬请回复”,这样我们就能更好地安排餐饮。
XG:Speaking of food, I think we should have a lot of finger foods that people can munch 1 on while they mingle 2.
小高:说到吃的,我想我们应该准备一些用手拿着吃的食物方便大家走动聊天时嚼着吃。
JJ:I was thinking we should hire a catering 3 service to provide our food. That way we can focus on decorating our new home. We want it to look nice when the guests arrive.
京晶:我在想我们应该雇佣专门的餐饮服务来准备食物,这样的话我们就能专注在装饰我们的新家上了。我们希望当客人到来时,它看上去很漂亮。
(At the party,Xiao Gao and Jing Jing play the part of two guests who don't know each other)
在派对上,小高和京晶扮演两位互不相识的客人
XG:Great party, huh?
小高:这派对还真不错啊,对吧?
JJ:Yeah, it sure is! The music is great, and the food is even better.
京晶:是呀,确实不错,音乐真好,吃的更好。
XG:So, who do you know here?
小高:那个,您认识他们吗?
JJ:I'm Jing Jing's friend. We went to school together.
京晶:我是京晶的朋友,我们以前是同学。
XG:Oh cool. Xiao Gao and I are on the same basketball team.Nice to meet you. I'm Bob, by the way.
小高:不错。我和小高是一个篮球队的,认识您很高兴,对了,我是鲍勃。
JJ:I'm Jennifer. Nice to meet you too. Did you get to go on a tour of the place yet? It's such a nice home. I'm so happy for them.
京晶:我是珍妮佛,很高兴认识您。您已经在这房子里四处转过了吗?这屋子真不错啊,我为他们感到高兴。
XG:Yeah, I'm surprised at how much space they have. Anyways,would you like to go grab 4 some refreshments 5? I see you're almost done with your drink. The turkey is splendid.
小高:是呀,我很惊讶这屋子还挺大的。对了,您想来点儿零食吗?我看见您的饮料快喝完了,火鸡太好吃了。
JJ:I'm a vegan, so I don't eat meat. But I'll join you for some more spirits.
京晶:我吃素,所以我不吃肉,但是我想跟您一起再来点酒。
XG:Do you think I could get your phone number? You seem like a really cool person. We're always looking for more members on our basketball team. It's open to both guys and girls. Think you'd be interested?
小高:您方便给我留一个您的电话吗?您看上去人不错,我们篮球队现在正在招新成员,男女都欢迎参加,您感兴趣吗?
JJ:Oh yeah, for sure! My number is…
京晶:当然了,我的号码是……
New words for dialogue:
How's [something] coming along? = [something] 过得怎么样?(还没有结束)
Guest list = a list of people who are invited to an even tor party 派对邀请名单
On a tight budget = don't have a lot of money to spend 预算紧张
Invitation = 邀请函
Social media = 社交媒体
Cut down on costs = reduce spending 减少开支
RSVP = Répondez s'il vous plait(French for “please respond”) 敬请回复
Speaking of [something] = 说起[something]
Finger foods = foods that are convenient to eat with yourhands 能用手拿着吃的方便食物
Mingle = to socialize 陌生人之间的社交
Catering service = a service that provides food for anevent or party 为特定活动提供餐饮服务
Refreshments = snacks at an event 零食
Splendid = 非常好
Vegan = 严格素食主义者
Spirits = liquor 6 酒
For sure! = 当然!
v.用力嚼,大声咀嚼
- We watched her munch through two packets of peanuts.我们看她津津有味地嚼了两包花生米。
- Getting them to munch on vegetable dishes was more difficult.使他们吃素菜就比较困难了。
vt.使混合,使相混;vi.混合起来;相交往
- If we mingle with the crowd,we should not be noticed.如果我们混在人群中,就不会被注意到。
- Oil will not mingle with water.油和水不相融。
n. 给养
- Most of our work now involves catering for weddings. 我们现在的工作多半是承办婚宴。
- Who did the catering for your son's wedding? 你儿子的婚宴是由谁承办的?
vt./n.攫取,抓取;vi.攫取,抓住(at)
- It is rude to grab a seat.抢占座位是不礼貌的。
- The thief made a grab at my bag but I pushed him away.贼想抢我的手提包,但被我推开了。
n.点心,便餐;(会议后的)简单茶点招 待
- We have to make a small charge for refreshments. 我们得收取少量茶点费。
- Light refreshments will be served during the break. 中间休息时有点心供应。
标签:
英语PK台