英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第121期:第八章 天使港(6)
时间:2019-02-15 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
A group of four men turned around the corner I was heading for, 几个男人成群结队地从我正在走向的街角走出来,
dressed too casually 1 to be heading home from the office, but they were too grimy to be tourists. 穿着如此随便,就好像是在下班回家的路上,
As they approached me, I realized they weren't too many years older than I was. 但他们都脏兮兮的,看上去不像是游客。当他们走到我面前时,我意识到他们没比我大几岁。
They were joking loudly among themselves, laughing raucously 2 and punching each other's arms. 他们在大声地开着彼此的玩笑,刺耳地大笑着,相互推搡着胳膊。
I scooted as far to the inside of the sidewalk as I could to give them room, walking swiftly, looking past them to the corner. 我飞快地躲到人行道内侧,给他们让出路来,很快地走过去,想要从他们身边走过去穿过街角。
"Hey, there!" One of them called as they passed, and he had to be talking to me since no one else was around. “嘿,这儿!”当他们经过的时候,其中一个喊道。他只能是在跟我说话,因为周围根本没有别人。
I glanced up automatically. 我下意识地抬起头,
Two of them had paused, the other two were slowing. 他们中的两个停了下来,另外两个还在慢慢走着。
The closest, a heavyset, dark-haired man in his early twenties, seemed to be the one who had spoken. 离我最近的那个体格魁梧的黑发男人看上去才二十出头,似乎就是刚刚说话的那人。
He was wearing a flannel 3 shirt open over a dirty t-shirt, cut-off jeans, and sandals. 他穿着一件敞开着的法兰绒衬衣,里面穿着一件肮脏的T恤衫,牛仔裤破破烂烂的,还穿着凉鞋。
He took half a step toward me. 他向我迈了一步。
"Hello," I mumbled 4, a knee-jerk reaction. “你好。”纯粹是下意识地,我低声说道。
Then I quickly looked away and walked faster toward the corner. 然后我飞快地看向别处,加速向拐角处走去。
I could hear them laughing at full volume behind me. 我能听到他们在我身后高声大笑着。
"Hey, wait!" One of them called after me again, but I kept my head down and rounded the corner with a sigh of relief. “嘿,等等!”他们中的一个又在我背后喊道,但我继续向前冲,直到转过街角,才安下心来,松了一口气。
I could still hear them chortling behind me. 我依然能提到从背后传来的他们得意的高笑。
I found myself on a sidewalk leading past the backs of several somber-colored warehouses 5, 我发现自己站在一条人行道上,它通向几座暗色调的大仓库背后,
each with large bay doors for unloading trucks, padlocked for the night. 每一座仓库都有着巨大的供货车卸货用到车库门,因为到了晚上而紧锁着。
The south side of the street had no sidewalk, 街道南面没有人行道,
only a chain-link fence topped with barbed wire protecting some kind of engine parts storage yard. 只有一道高高围起的,上面安着带刺的铁丝网,保卫着高墙后存放着重要货物的远足。
I'd wandered far past the part of Port Angeles that I, as a guest, was intended to see. 我看出来了,作为一个人生地不熟的访客,我离天使港那边已经相当远了。
It was getting dark, I realized, the clouds finally returning, piling up on the western horizon, creating an early sunset. 我意识到,天色越来越黯淡,云层最终又聚拢来了,堆积在西边的地平线上,让日落提前了。
The eastern sky was still clear, but graying, shot through with streaks 6 of pink and orange. 东边的天空依然晴朗,却灰蒙蒙的,布满了粉色和橙色的光纹。
I'd left my jacket in the car, and a sudden shiver made me cross my arms tightly across my chest. 我把夹克留在了车里,一阵忽然的战栗让我紧紧地把双臂抱在胸前。
A single van passed me, and then the road was empty. 一辆单厢货车从我身边开过,然后路面又变得空荡荡起来。
adv.漠不关心地,无动于衷地,不负责任地
- She remarked casually that she was changing her job.她当时漫不经心地说要换工作。
- I casually mentioned that I might be interested in working abroad.我不经意地提到我可能会对出国工作感兴趣。
adv.粗声地;沙哑地
- His voice rang raucously. 他的声音听起来很沙哑。 来自互联网
- Someone in the hushed bar suddenly laughed raucously at how stupid everyone had become. 沉默的酒吧中有人忽然沙哑地大笑起来,嘲笑每个人都变的如此的愚蠢。 来自互联网
n.法兰绒;法兰绒衣服
- She always wears a grey flannel trousers.她总是穿一条灰色法兰绒长裤。
- She was looking luscious in a flannel shirt.她穿着法兰绒裙子,看上去楚楚动人。
含糊地说某事,叽咕,咕哝( mumble的过去式和过去分词 )
- He mumbled something to me which I did not quite catch. 他对我叽咕了几句话,可我没太听清楚。
- George mumbled incoherently to himself. 乔治语无伦次地喃喃自语。
仓库,货栈( warehouse的名词复数 )
- The whisky was taken to bonded warehouses at Port Dundee. 威士忌酒已送到邓迪港的保稅仓库。
- Row upon row of newly built warehouses line the waterfront. 江岸新建的仓库鳞次栉比。
标签:
英语听力