夏洛的网 第153期:多里安医生(7)
英语课
"Do you understand how there could be any writing in a spider's web?" “明白蜘蛛网上怎么会有字。”
"Oh, no," said Dr. Dorian. "I don't understand it. “噢,不,”多里安医生说,“我不明白。
But for that matter I don't understand how a spider learned to spin a web in the first place. 可说到这件事,我首先就不明白,蜘蛛是怎么学会结网的。
When the words appeared, everyone said they were a miracle. 那些字的出现,大家说是奇迹。
But nobody pointed 1 out that the web itself is a miracle." 不过没有人指出,蜘蛛网本身就是一个奇迹。”
"What's miraculous 2 about a spider's web?" said Mrs. Arable 3. “蜘蛛网有什么奇迹呢?”阿拉布尔太太说,
"I don't see why you say a web is a miracle - it's just a web." “我不明白你为什么说蜘蛛网是个奇迹——就是一张蜘蛛网罢了。”
"Ever try to spin one?" asked Dr. Dorian. “你试过结网吗?”多里安医生问道。
Mrs. Arable shifted uneasily in her chair. 阿拉布尔太太在她的椅子上不自在地动着身子。
"No," she replied. “没有,”她回答说,
"But I can crochet 4 a doily and I can knit a sock." “不过我会编织小餐巾,也会编织短袜子。”
adj.尖的,直截了当的
- He gave me a very sharp pointed pencil.他给我一支削得非常尖的铅笔。
- She wished to show Mrs.John Dashwood by this pointed invitation to her brother.她想通过对达茨伍德夫人提出直截了当的邀请向她的哥哥表示出来。
adj.像奇迹一样的,不可思议的
- The wounded man made a miraculous recovery.伤员奇迹般地痊愈了。
- They won a miraculous victory over much stronger enemy.他们战胜了远比自己强大的敌人,赢得了非凡的胜利。
adj.可耕的,适合种植的
- The terrain changed quickly from arable land to desert.那个地带很快就从耕地变成了沙漠。
- Do you know how much arable land has been desolated?你知道什么每年有多少土地荒漠化吗?
标签:
夏洛的网