英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第209期:第十二章 平衡(21)
时间:2019-01-22 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
"Time to visit the optometrist," I muttered. His smirk 1 grew more pronounced. “该去检查视力了。”我喃喃低语道。他的坏笑更明显了。
But then, after another hundred yards, I could definitely see a lightening in the trees ahead, a glow that was yellow instead of green. 但随后,在又走了一百码以后,我确实看见了树林前头的一片光亮,一片明黄的光辉而非绿色。
I picked up the pace, my eagerness growing with every step. 我加快了脚步,每踏出一步,我的渴望就增长一分。
He let me lead now, following noiselessly. 现在他让我走在前面,无声地跟着我。
I reached the edge of the pool of light and stepped through the last fringe of ferns into the loveliest place I had ever seen. 我走到了那一片光亮的边缘,踏过最后一片蕨类植物,走进了我所见过的最可爱的地方。
The meadow was small, perfectly 2 round, and filled with wildflowers—violet, yellow, and soft white. 这片草地很小,几乎是圆形的,开满了野花——紫的,黄的,还有柔和的白色。
Somewhere nearby, I could hear the bubbling music of a stream. 我能听见不远处,一条奔流不息的溪水欢快的歌声。
The sun was directly overhead, filling the circle with a haze 3 of buttery sunshine. 太阳正在头顶上直直地照射下来,用一种薄雾般的奶油色的阳光填满了这一圈空地。
I walked slowly, awestruck, through the soft grass, swaying flowers, and warm, gilded 4 air. 我慢慢地走着,惊奇不已,穿过柔软的芳草,摇曳的花朵,还有温暖的,染成了金色的空气。
I halfway 5 turned, wanting to share this with him, but he wasn't behind me where I thought he'd be. 中途我转过身,想和他分享这一切,但他并没有在我身后,没有在我以为他在的地方。
I spun 6 around, searching for him with sudden alarm. 我原地旋转着,寻找着他的身影,一阵突然的恐惧袭击了我。
Finally I spotted 7 him, still under the dense 8 shade of the canopy 9 at the edge of the hollow, watching me with cautious eyes. 最终我找到了他,他依然站在树庐浓重的阴影下,在这片洼处的边缘,用谨慎的目光看着我。
Only then did I remember what the beauty of the meadow had driven from my mind— 这时我才想起来,这片草地的美丽完全被赶出了我的脑海——
the enigma 10 of Edward and the sun, which he'd promised to illustrate 11 for me today. 爱德华与阳光之谜,他曾经保证过,要在今天向我阐明的。
I took a step back toward him, my eyes alight with curiosity. 我向他走了一步,我的眼睛被好奇点亮了。
His eyes were wary 12, reluctant. 他的眼神很谨慎,显得很不情愿。
I smiled encouragingly and beckoned 13 to him with my hand, taking another step back to him. 我鼓励地微笑着,向他招手示意,正要向他再走一步。
He held up a hand in warning, and I hesitated, rocking back onto my heels. 他警告地举起了一只手,我犹豫了,退回了原处。
Edward seemed to take a deep breath, and then he stepped out into the bright glow of the midday sun. 爱德华似乎深吸了一口气,然后他走出来,走到正午明亮的阳光下。
n.得意地笑;v.傻笑;假笑着说
- He made no attempt to conceal his smirk.他毫不掩饰自鸣得意的笑容。
- She had a selfsatisfied smirk on her face.她脸上带着自鸣得意的微笑。
adv.完美地,无可非议地,彻底地
- The witnesses were each perfectly certain of what they said.证人们个个对自己所说的话十分肯定。
- Everything that we're doing is all perfectly above board.我们做的每件事情都是光明正大的。
n.霾,烟雾;懵懂,迷糊;vi.(over)变模糊
- I couldn't see her through the haze of smoke.在烟雾弥漫中,我看不见她。
- He often lives in a haze of whisky.他常常是在威士忌的懵懂醉意中度过的。
a.镀金的,富有的
- The golden light gilded the sea. 金色的阳光使大海如金子般闪闪发光。
- "Friends, they are only gilded disks of lead!" "朋友们,这只不过是些镀金的铅饼! 来自英汉文学 - 败坏赫德莱堡
adj.中途的,不彻底的,部分的;adv.半路地,在中途,在半途
- We had got only halfway when it began to get dark.走到半路,天就黑了。
- In study the worst danger is give up halfway.在学习上,最忌讳的是有始无终。
v.纺,杜撰,急转身
- His grandmother spun him a yarn at the fire.他奶奶在火炉边给他讲故事。
- Her skilful fingers spun the wool out to a fine thread.她那灵巧的手指把羊毛纺成了细毛线。
adj.有斑点的,斑纹的,弄污了的
- The milkman selected the spotted cows,from among a herd of two hundred.牛奶商从一群200头牛中选出有斑点的牛。
- Sam's shop stocks short spotted socks.山姆的商店屯积了有斑点的短袜。
a.密集的,稠密的,浓密的;密度大的
- The general ambushed his troops in the dense woods. 将军把部队埋伏在浓密的树林里。
- The path was completely covered by the dense foliage. 小路被树叶厚厚地盖了一层。
n.天篷,遮篷
- The trees formed a leafy canopy above their heads.树木在他们头顶上空形成了一个枝叶茂盛的遮篷。
- They lay down under a canopy of stars.他们躺在繁星点点的天幕下。
n.谜,谜一样的人或事
- I've known him for many years,but he remains something of an enigma to me.我与他相识多年,他仍然难以捉摸。
- Even after all the testimonies,the murder remained a enigma.即使听完了所有的证词,这件谋杀案仍然是一个谜。
v.举例说明,阐明;图解,加插图
- The company's bank statements illustrate its success.这家公司的银行报表说明了它的成功。
- This diagram will illustrate what I mean.这个图表可说明我的意思。
adj.谨慎的,机警的,小心的
- He is wary of telling secrets to others.他谨防向他人泄露秘密。
- Paula frowned,suddenly wary.宝拉皱了皱眉头,突然警惕起来。
标签:
英语听力