英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第170期:第十章 审问(18)
时间:2019-01-22 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
"If you read carefully, the laws only cover hunting with weapons," he informed me. “如果你有仔细看的话,你会发现法律只针对使用武器狩猎的行为。”他告诉我。
He watched my face with enjoyment 1 as that slowly sank in. 他饶有趣味地看着我的脸,看着我一点一点地消化这个认知。
"Bears?" I repeated with difficulty. “熊?”我艰难地重复道。
"Grizzly 2 is Emmett's favorite." His voice was still offhand 3, but his eyes were scrutinizing 4 my reaction. I tried to pull myself together. “灰熊是艾美特的最爱。”他的口气依然很随意,但他的眼睛密切关注着我的反应。我努力让自己恢复镇定。
"Hmmm," I said, taking another bite of pizza as an excuse to look down. “呃嗯”我说着,又咬了一口披萨,借机低下了头。
I chewed slowly, and then took a long drink of Coke without looking up. 我慢慢地咀嚼着,然后啜饮了许久可乐,依然没有抬头。
"So," I said after a moment, finally meeting his now-anxious gaze. "What's your favorite?" “那么,”过了一会儿我才说道,最终对上了他变得焦虑不安的注视。“你的最爱是什么?”
He raised an eyebrow 5 and the corners of his mouth turned down in disapproval 6. "Mountain lion." 他挑起一侧眉头,不赞成地弯下了嘴角。“美洲狮。”
"Ah," I said in a politely disinterested 7 tone, looking for my soda 8 again. “啊。我用一种礼貌的,不感兴趣的语气说道,又开始喝我的苏打水了。
"Of course," he said, and his tone mirrored mine, “当然,”他说道,他的口吻像镜子一样反映着我的语气。
"we have to be careful not to impact the environment with injudicious hunting. “我们不得不当心,避免让有失妥当的捕猎破坏环境。
We try to focus on areas with an overpopulation of predators—ranging as far away as we need. 我们努力把捕猎范围集中在食肉动物数量过剩的地区——变动的范围会根据我们的需要尽可能广泛些。
There's always plenty of deer and elk 9 here, and they'll do, but where's the fun in that?" He smiled teasingly. 那里通常有许多的野鹿和麋鹿,猎食它们也是可以的,但这有什么乐趣可言呢?”他自嘲地笑了笑。
"Where indeed," I murmured around another bite of pizza. “说得更确切些。”我又咬了一口披萨,含糊地说道。
"Early spring is Emmett's favorite bear season—they're just coming out of hibernation 10, so they're more irritable 11." He smiled at some remembered joke. “早春是艾美特最喜欢的猎熊季节——它们刚从冬眠中醒来,所以它们更容易被激怒。”他似乎想起了某个玩笑,于是笑了起来。
"Nothing more fun than an irritated grizzly bear," I agreed, nodding. “没什么能比一只被激怒的灰熊更有趣了。”我赞同着,点了点头。
He snickered, shaking his head. "Tell me what you're really thinking, please." 他窃笑着,摇了摇头:“告诉我你真正在想的事情,求你了。”
"I'm trying to picture it—but I can't," I admitted. "How do you hunt a bear without weapons?" “我试着想象出这一切——可我不能。”我承认道。“你怎么能赤手空拳猎熊呢?”
n.乐趣;享有;享用
- Your company adds to the enjoyment of our visit. 有您的陪同,我们这次访问更加愉快了。
- After each joke the old man cackled his enjoyment.每逢讲完一个笑话,这老人就呵呵笑着表示他的高兴。
adj.略为灰色的,呈灰色的;n.灰色大熊
- This grizzly liked people.这只灰熊却喜欢人。
- Grizzly bears are not generally social creatures.一般说来,灰熊不是社交型动物。
adj.临时,无准备的;随便,马虎的
- I can't answer your request offhand.我不能随便答复你的要求。
- I wouldn't want to say what I thought about it offhand.我不愿意随便说我关于这事的想法。
v.仔细检查,详审( scrutinize的现在分词 )
- His grandfather's stern eyes were scrutinizing him, and Chueh-hui felt his face reddening. 祖父的严厉的眼光射在他的脸上。 来自汉英文学 - 家(1-26) - 家(1-26)
- The machine hushed, extraction and injection nozzles poised, scrutinizing its targets. 机器“嘘”地一声静了下来,输入输出管道各就各位,检查着它的目标。 来自互联网
n.眉毛,眉
- Her eyebrow is well penciled.她的眉毛画得很好。
- With an eyebrow raised,he seemed divided between surprise and amusement.他一只眉毛扬了扬,似乎既感到吃惊,又觉有趣。
n.反对,不赞成
- The teacher made an outward show of disapproval.老师表面上表示不同意。
- They shouted their disapproval.他们喊叫表示反对。
adj.不关心的,不感兴趣的
- He is impartial and disinterested.他公正无私。
- He's always on the make,I have never known him do a disinterested action.他这个人一贯都是唯利是图,我从来不知道他有什么无私的行动。
n.苏打水;汽水
- She doesn't enjoy drinking chocolate soda.她不喜欢喝巧克力汽水。
- I will freshen your drink with more soda and ice cubes.我给你的饮料重加一些苏打水和冰块。
n.麋鹿
- I was close enough to the elk to hear its labored breathing.我离那头麋鹿非常近,能听见它吃力的呼吸声。
- The refuge contains the largest wintering population of elk in the world.这座庇护所有着世界上数量最大的冬季麋鹿群。
n.冬眠
- Bears wake up in the spring after a winter of hibernation.熊经过一个冬天的冬眠后在春季苏醒。
- The tortoise spends the winter months in hibernation.乌龟在冬眠中度过寒冬季节。
标签:
英语听力