英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第44期:第四章 邀请(8)
时间:2019-01-22 作者:英语课 分类:暮光之城•暮色
英语课
"Dad?" I asked when he was almost done. "爸?"他快吃完的时候我说道。
"Yeah, Bella?" "贝拉,什么事儿?"
"Um, I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to Seattle for the day a week from Saturday… if that's okay?" "唔,我只是想跟您说一声,下个周六我打算去西雅图……如果可以的话?"
I didn't want to ask permission — it set a bad precedent 1 — but I felt rude, so I tacked 2 it on at the end. 我没想征得他的同意——开了一个不好的头——可觉得又太不像话了,于是在后面补了那半句。
"Why?" He sounded surprised, as if he were unable to imagine something that Forks couldn't offer. "去那儿干吗?"他好像很惊讶,似乎他想象不出来有什么东西是福克斯所买不到的。
"Well, I wanted to get few books — the library here is pretty limited — and maybe look at some clothes." "噢,我想买几本新书——这儿的图书馆藏书很有限——也许还要看几件衣服。"
I had more money than I was used to having, since, thanks to Charlie, I hadn't had to pay for a car. 我手上的钱多得都有些不习惯了,因为,多亏了查理,我没有非得自己掏钱买车不可。
Not that the truck didn't cost me quite a bit in the gas department. 但这并不是说,这车加油少花了我的钱。
"That truck probably doesn't get very good gas mileage," he said, echoing my thoughts. "那辆车油耗方面可能不是很好,"他跟我想到一块儿去了。
"I know, I'll stop in Montesano and Olympia — and Tacoma if I have to." "我知道,我会在蒙特萨诺 和奥林匹亚 停一停——如果必要的话,还会在塔科马 停一下。"
"Are you going all by yourself?" he asked, "你一个人去吗?"他问,
and I couldn't tell if he was suspicious I had a secret boyfriend or just worried about car trouble. 我说不上来他是怀疑我偷偷谈了男朋友呢,还是只是担心车子出问题。
"Yes." "对。"
"Seattle is a big city — you could get lost," he fretted 3. "西雅图是个大城市——你弄不好会迷路的,"他有点儿发愁。
"Dad, Phoenix 4 is five times the size of Seattle — and I can read a map, don't worry about it." "爸,凤凰城有西雅图五个大——而且我会看地图,别担心那个。"
"Do you want me to come with you?" "要不要我跟你一起去?"
I tried to be crafty 5 as I hid my horror. 我一边掩饰我的恐惧,一边尽力花言巧语。
"That's all right, Dad, I'll probably just be in dressing 6 rooms all day — very boring." "好啊,爸,只是我很有可能整天袋在试衣间里哟——很没劲的。"
n.先例,前例;惯例;adj.在前的,在先的
- Is there a precedent for what you want me to do?你要我做的事有前例可援吗?
- This is a wonderful achievement without precedent in Chinese history.这是中国历史上亘古未有的奇绩。
用平头钉钉( tack的过去式和过去分词 ); 附加,增补; 帆船抢风行驶,用粗线脚缝
- He tacked the sheets of paper on as carefully as possible. 他尽量小心地把纸张钉上去。
- The seamstress tacked the two pieces of cloth. 女裁缝把那两块布粗缝了起来。
焦躁的,附有弦马的,腐蚀的
- The wind whistled through the twigs and fretted the occasional, dirty-looking crocuses. 寒风穿过枯枝,有时把发脏的藏红花吹刮跑了。 来自英汉文学
- The lady's fame for hitting the mark fretted him. 这位太太看问题深刻的名声在折磨着他。
n.凤凰,长生(不死)鸟;引申为重生
- The airline rose like a phoenix from the ashes.这家航空公司又起死回生了。
- The phoenix worship of China is fetish worship not totem adoration.中国凤崇拜是灵物崇拜而非图腾崇拜。
adj.狡猾的,诡诈的
- He admired the old man for his crafty plan.他敬佩老者的神机妙算。
- He was an accomplished politician and a crafty autocrat.他是个有造诣的政治家,也是个狡黠的独裁者。
标签:
英语听力