英语PK台 第670期:无烟未来:两年少了20万烟民
英语课
Dialogue 1
Jingjing: There you are, Mark. Are you ready to grab 1 a bite to eat?
京晶:你在这儿呢,马克。准备好去吃点东西了吗?
Mark: Whenever you are. I missed breakfast—so, the sooner the better.
马克:你准备好了我就准备好了。我早饭都没吃,所以,越快越好。
Jingjing: I'm all set. Let's jet.
京晶:我都准备好了。走吧!
Mark: Let me just grab my coat.
马克:稍等我拿上我的外套
Jingjing: Um, have you been smoking?
京晶:嗯…你最近在抽烟吗?
Mark: Nah, it's probably this jacket. I was waiting for the bus, and there were some people smoking around me. I didn't bother to move upwind from them.
马克:没有啊,可能是这件夹克的味道吧。我之前在等车的时候,有几个身边的人在抽烟,我懒得走到他们的上风口去。
Jingjing: That's a relief. I was worried that you'd started up the habit.
京晶:舒了口气。我还担心你刚学会抽起烟来了。
Mark: Well, I used to smoke—for more than 10 years, actually.
马克:这个,我过去抽,抽十多年了吧。
Jingjing: Were you a heavy smoker 3?
京晶:你烟瘾大吗?
Mark: I wasn't a chimney or anything. I know guys who go through a pack a day, or more. For me, a pack would last two or three days, unless I was stressed out. That's all over now.
马克:我不是个烟鬼,我知道有的人一天抽一包或者更多吧。我呢,两三天才抽一包,除非是压力特别大。现在已经不这样了。
Jingjing: Was it hard to quit?
京晶:戒烟难吗?
Mark: I was lucky. I bought a vape pen when I was in America for three months. The last three weeks there, I had nothing to do. So, I just transitioned into vaping.
马克:我是幸运的。我在美国待了三个月那段时间买了一只电子烟,最后那三周也没别的事做,所以我就开始抽上了电子烟。
Jingjing: Oh, that's not the same as quitting.
京晶:哦,那跟戒烟不是一回事啊。
Mark: No. Let's be honest, vaping delivers nicotine 4. But I'm glad to keep all that tar 2 out of my system, and not have that foul 5 smell hanging around me, most of the time.
马克:不是的,让我们诚实面对吧。电子烟里有也有焦油,但是我很开心我的身体能远离焦油,大多数时候没有那种难闻的味道围绕着我了。
Jingjing: Yeah, it's pretty unpleasant. So, vaping is just like smoking, then?
京晶:是的,不好闻。所以,电子烟就跟抽烟一样吗?
Mark: Well, there's a lot less nicotine in e-juice—that's the stuff that goes into a vape pen or a mod. I have a mod now.
马克:这么说吧,电子烟的烟油里尼古丁少多了,烟油就是装进笔式电子烟或者盒式电子烟里的东西。我现在有一只Mod.
Jingjing: Well, then it's a small step in the right direction.
京晶:这可是方向正确的的一小步啊!
Mark: Uh huh. I admire people who can quit altogether.
马克:可不咋滴。我真心欣赏那些两种都能全戒的人。
New words: 习语短语
chimney 烟囱,形容老烟民
someone who smokes all the time
go through 消耗
use
vape pen 笔式电子烟
a kind of electric cigarette, shaped like a pen
nicotine 尼古丁
the drug found in cigarettes
out of my system out of my body
e-juice 烟油
the liquid used in electric cigarettes
mod 盒式电子烟
another kind of electric cigarette, box-shaped
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark are at the restaurant.
京晶和马克在餐厅里用餐
Jingjing: Is this table ok?
京晶:这张桌子行吗?
Mark: Sure. I actually like being near the door.
马克:没问题。事实上我喜欢靠近一点门。
Jingjing: Just don't step outside for a smoke. I'm keeping an eye on you from now on.
京晶:别走出去抽一口啊。从现在开始我要监督着你。
Mark: Don't worry about it. I've gone for more than a year already. Besides, it's great that not so many people smoke in public nowadays.
马克:不用担心。我都戒了一年多了。再说了,现在没有多少人在公共场合吸烟了,挺好的。
Jingjing: You said it. I remember, just a few years ago, people would light up in restaurants and all sorts of places.
京晶:说得是啊。我记得,几年前吧,人们在餐馆和各种各样的地方抽烟。
Mark: Yeah, that took a few years to change. But, now, people are a lot more considerate.
马克:是啊,花了些年头改变呢。现在,人们更加体谅他人了。
Jingjing: Yep. An article I read in China Daily said that there are 1 percent fewer smokers 6 in Beijing than there were two years ago.
京晶:我读过一篇中国日报的文章说与两年前相比,北京的吸烟者已经少了1%。
Mark: That's a big decrease.
马克:下降幅度真大啊!
Jingjing: It is: 200,000 fewer people smoking. The article also said the public smoking ban is 95% effective now. In 2015, only 77% of public places passed inspection 7.
京晶:烟民少了20万人。文章还说公共场合禁烟有效率95%。在2015年,只有77%的公众场所通过了审查。
Mark: It's definitely an improvement, not having second-hand 8 smoke around you when you go out to eat.
京晶:出门吃个饭不吸二手烟了确实是一大进步。
Jingjing: What's more, we can hope that fewer teenagers will try cigarettes.
京晶:再有了,我们可以期待未来更少的年轻人会尝试学抽烟了。
Mark: That's an important change. If people no longer think of it as normal to smoke, there could be a steady decrease in the number of new smokers.
马克:这可是一个重要的改变。如果人们不再认为吸烟是正常的,新烟民的数量就会持续减少。
Jingjing: Let's hope our public places here in Beijing get better and better.
京晶:让我们希望北京的公共场所会越来越好(干净清洁)。
Jingjing
New words: 习语短语
keeping an eye on you 监督你
watching someone to make sure they don't do something bad
light up 点燃烟
start smoking a cigarette
considerate 体谅的,考虑他人的
thoughtful of others, keeping people comfortable
decrease 大量减少
change from a large number to a smaller number
inspection 审查,检查
when officials go to see if people are following rules
second-hand smoke 二手烟
smoke in the air, breathed by people who aren't smoking
vt./n.攫取,抓取;vi.攫取,抓住(at)
- It is rude to grab a seat.抢占座位是不礼貌的。
- The thief made a grab at my bag but I pushed him away.贼想抢我的手提包,但被我推开了。
n.柏油,焦油;vt.涂或浇柏油/焦油于
- The roof was covered with tar.屋顶涂抹了一层沥青。
- We use tar to make roads.我们用沥青铺路。
n.吸烟者,吸烟车厢,吸烟室
- His wife dislikes him to be a smoker.他妻子不喜欢他当烟民。
- He is a moderate smoker.他是一个有节制的烟民。
n.(化)尼古丁,烟碱
- Many smokers who are chemically addicted to nicotine cannot cut down easily.许多有尼古丁瘾的抽烟人不容易把烟戒掉。
- Many smokers who are chemically addicted to nicotine cannot cut down easily.许多有尼古丁瘾的抽烟人不容易把烟戒掉。
adj.污秽的;邪恶的;v.弄脏;妨害;犯规;n.犯规
- Take off those foul clothes and let me wash them.脱下那些脏衣服让我洗一洗。
- What a foul day it is!多么恶劣的天气!
吸烟者( smoker的名词复数 )
- Many smokers who are chemically addicted to nicotine cannot cut down easily. 许多有尼古丁瘾的抽烟人不容易把烟戒掉。
- Chain smokers don't care about the dangers of smoking. 烟鬼似乎不在乎吸烟带来的种种危害。
n.检查,审查,检阅
- On random inspection the meat was found to be bad.经抽查,发现肉变质了。
- The soldiers lined up for their daily inspection by their officers.士兵们列队接受军官的日常检阅。
adj.用过的,旧的,二手的
- I got this book by chance at a second-hand bookshop.我赶巧在一家旧书店里买到这本书。
- They will put all these second-hand goods up for sale.他们将把这些旧货全部公开出售。
标签:
英语PK台