美国语文第四册 第100期:鲁滨逊·克鲁索的住所(2)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第四册
英语课
And now I began to apply myself to make such necessary things as I found I most wanted, particularly a chair and a table; 这时我开始专心制作最需要的物品,尤其是椅子和桌子;
for without these I was not able to enjoy the few comforts I had in the world. 因为没有桌椅,我就没法享受世上为数已不多的乐事。
I could not write or eat, or do several things with so much pleasure without a table. 没有桌椅,写作、吃饭也毫无乐趣可言了。
So I went to work. I had never handled a tool in my life; and yet in time by labor 1, application, and contrivance, 我开始工作起来,我以前从未使用过工具;可是当我后来花费了很大力气,专心工作,想出不少好点子的时候,
I found that I wanted nothing but I could have made it, especially if I had had tools; 我发现不论需要什么,我都能做出来,要是有工具就更好了。
however, I made abundance of things, even without tools, and some with no more tools than an adz and a hatchet 2, 即使没有工具,我还是做了不少东西,有时只使用锛子和斧头,
which perhaps were never made that way before, and that with infinite labor. 可能以前还没人这样做出这些东西,或者花这么大的力气。
For example, if I wanted a board, I had no other way but to cut down a tree, set it before me, 比如,如果我想要一块木板,就必须先砍倒一棵树,
and hew 3 it flat on either side with my ax till I had brought it to be as thin as a plank 4, and then dub 5 it smooth with my adz. 然后用斧子把两面销平,直到树木像木板一样薄,再用锛子刮光滑。
n.劳动,努力,工作,劳工;分娩;vi.劳动,努力,苦干;vt.详细分析;麻烦
- We are never late in satisfying him for his labor.我们从不延误付给他劳动报酬。
- He was completely spent after two weeks of hard labor.艰苦劳动两周后,他已经疲惫不堪了。
n.短柄小斧;v.扼杀
- I shall have to take a hatchet to that stump.我得用一把短柄斧来劈这树桩。
- Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.别用斧头拍打朋友额头上的苍蝇。
v.砍;伐;削
- Hew a path through the underbrush.在灌木丛中砍出一条小路。
- Plant a sapling as tall as yourself and hew it off when it is two times high of you.种一棵与自己身高一样的树苗,长到比自己高两倍时砍掉它。
n.板条,木板,政策要点,政纲条目
- The plank was set against the wall.木板靠着墙壁。
- They intend to win the next election on the plank of developing trade.他们想以发展贸易的纲领来赢得下次选举。