美国语文第四册 第113期:幸福之道(3)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第四册
英语课
You go to school on a cold winter morning. 一个寒冷冬日的清晨你来到学校。
A bright fire is blazing in the stove, surrounded with boys struggling to get near it to warm themselves. 炉子里火很旺,四周坐满了取暖的男孩子们。
After you are slightly warmed, a schoolmate comes in suffering with cold. 在你稍微暖和后,一个同学走进来,浑身发冷。
"Here, James," you pleasantly call out to him, "I am almost warm; you may have my place." “到这里,詹姆斯,”你友好地朝他喊道,“我暖和得差不多了,你坐我这儿吧。”
As you slip aside to allow him to take your place at the fire, will he not feel that you are kind? 当你走到旁边让他坐在你的位置时,他会感觉不到你的善意吗?
The worst boy in the world can not help admiring such generosity 1; and, even though he be so ungrateful as not to return the favor, 世界上最坏的孩子也会赞赏这种慷慨;即使他不领情,没有投桃报李,
you may depend upon it that he will be your friend as far as he is capable of friendship. 你也可以相信只要他具有交友的能力,他就会是你的朋友。
If you will always act upon this principle, you will never want for friends. 如果你始终奉行这个原则,你永远不会缺少朋友。
Suppose, some day, you are out with your companions playing ball. 假设有一天你和伙伴在外面打球。
After you have been playing for some time, another boy comes along. 在你玩了一会儿后,一个男孩走过来。
He can not be chosen upon either side, for there is no one to match him. 他无法加入,因为哪边都不缺人手。
"Henry," you say, "you may take my place a little while, and I will rest." “亨利,”你说,“你可以打我的位置,我歇一会。”
You throw yourself down upon the grass, while Henry, fresh and vigorous, takes your bat and engages in the game. 你躺在草地上,而新来的亨利浑身是劲,接替你加入比赛。
He knows that you give up to oblige him, and how can he help liking 2 you for it? 他知道你为了帮助他放弃了比赛,他会不喜欢你吗?
The fact is, that neither man nor child can cultivate such a spirit of generosity and kindness without attracting affection and esteem 3. 事实是,不论大人还是孩子,培养了这种慷慨和善良的精神,没有得不到情谊和敬重的。
n.大度,慷慨,慷慨的行为
- We should match their generosity with our own.我们应该像他们一样慷慨大方。
- We adore them for their generosity.我们钦佩他们的慷慨。
n.爱好;嗜好;喜欢
- The word palate also means taste or liking.Palate这个词也有“口味”或“嗜好”的意思。
- I must admit I have no liking for exaggeration.我必须承认我不喜欢夸大其词。