美国语文第四册 第147期:彩虹之旅(3)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第四册
英语课
But I soon found that my troubles had only begun; I could not find my way: I was lost! 我很快发现我的麻烦才刚刚开始,我找不到回家的路了!
I could not tell which was east or west, north or south, but wandered about here and there, crying and calling, though I knew that no one could hear me. 我分不出东西南北,四处打转,一边哭一边喊叫,可我也知道没人会听到。
All at once I heard voices shouting and hallooing; but, instead of being rejoiced 1 at this, I was frightened, fearing that the Indians were upon me! 突然我听到人们的喊叫声;我没有感到高兴,相反却很害怕,我担心是印第安人来追赶我!
I crawled under some bushes, by the side of a large log, and lay perfectly 2 still. 我趴在一棵伐倒的圆木旁的灌木丛里,一动不动。
I was wet, cold, scared, —altogether very miserable 3 indeed; yet, when the voices came near, I did not start up and show myself. 我又湿又冷又害怕,非常痛苦;可是当声音靠近的时候,我并没有站起来。
At last I heard my own name called; 最后我听到有人喊我的名字;
but I remembered that Indians were very cunning 4, and thought they might have found it out some way, so I did not answer. 我记得印第安人非常狡诈,我想他们可能通过某种方式知道了我的名字,因此我没有出声。
Then came a voice near me, that sounded like that of my eldest 5 brother, 这时我听见身边有人喊,声音像是我大哥的,
who lived away from home, and whom I had not seen for many months; but I dared not believe that the voice was his. 他不在家住,几个月没见了,可我不敢相信这声音是他的。
Soon some one sprang up on the log by which I lay, and stood there calling. 很快有人跳到我身边的圆木上,站着大声喊我。
I could not see his face; I could only see the tips of his toes, but by them I saw that he wore a nice pair of boots, and not moccasins. 我看不到他的脸,从他的鞋尖,我看到他穿着新靴子,不是印第安人穿的软皮平底鞋。
Yet I remembered that some Indians dressed like white folks; 可是我记得有些印第安人的穿着和白人一样;
so I still kept quiet, till I heard shouted over me a pet name, which this brother had given me. 所以我还是没出声,终于我听到喊我的昵称,这个昵称是我的大哥起的,
It was the funniest name in the world. 是世界上最可笑的昵称。
(使)欣喜[高兴,快乐]( rejoice的过去式和过去分词 ); 非常高兴; 深感欣喜
- He rejoiced that all the work was after all finished in time. 他很高兴,全部的工作最终还是按时完成了。
- The news of victory rejoiced the heart of the whole nation. 胜利的喜悦使全国人民欢欣鼓舞。
adv.完美地,无可非议地,彻底地
- The witnesses were each perfectly certain of what they said.证人们个个对自己所说的话十分肯定。
- Everything that we're doing is all perfectly above board.我们做的每件事情都是光明正大的。
adj.悲惨的,痛苦的;可怜的,糟糕的
- It was miserable of you to make fun of him.你取笑他,这是可耻的。
- Her past life was miserable.她过去的生活很苦。
adj.狡猾的,奸诈的;n.狡猾,奸诈
- A spy used cunning means to find out secrets.间谍使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- The fox is known for its cleverness and cunning.狐狸的机敏和狡猾是人所共知的。