美国语文第四册 第79期:荨麻(2)
时间:2019-01-17 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第四册
英语课
A little cloud rose out like enchantment 1, and four beautiful little stems sprung up as if they were alive; 一朵云雾玫瑰般的小花长了出来,四条小小的枝茎仿佛有生命一般涌了出来。
and, now that I look again with the glass, I see an elegant little flower as nice and perfect as a lily itself. 现在我再用放大镜看,能看见一朵像百合花一样漂亮而优雅的小花了。
Well, now examine the leaves. Oh, I see they are all covered over with little bristles 2 很好,现在再看看叶子。哦,我看见叶子上面都覆盖着一层很细小的硬毛
and when I examine them with the glass, I see a little bag, filled with a juice like water, at the bottom of each. 当我用放大镜看时,能看到每根硬毛的下面都有一个小囊袋,里面充满着像水一样的汁液。
Ha! These are the things which stung me. Now touch the little bag with the point of the pin. 哈!这些就是蜇我的东西。现在,用大头针的头碰碰那个小囊袋。
When I press the bag, the juice runs up and comes out at the small point at the top; 当我按压它时,里面的汁液挤了上来,从顶部的小孔处流出来。
so I suppose the little thorn must be hollow inside, though it is finer than the point of my cambric needle. 所以我估计那个小刺里面应该是空的,尽管它比我的麻纱针的针头锋利多了。
Have all the leaves those stings? 所有的叶子上都有这些刺吗?
No, papa; some of the young ones are quite green and soft, like velvet 3, and I may handle them without any danger. 不是的,爸爸。一些嫩刺还很绿很软,像天鹅绒,我处理它们一点都没危险。
Now look at the stem, and break it. 现在看看枝干,把它折断。
I can easily crack it, but I can not break it asunder 4, for the bark is so strong that it holds it together. 我很容易就把它弄折了,但没法让它断开,因为外皮太坚韧了,总连在一起。
Well, now you see there are more curious things in the nettle 5 than you expected. 好了,你看荨麻里奇妙的事情比你想象的多很多吧。
Yes, indeed, I see that. But you have often told me that God makes nothing without its use; 是啊,我看到了。但是您原来经常告诉我说上帝造的每样东西都有它的用处。
and I am sure I can not see any use in all these things. That we will now consider. 我可是看不出这些能有什么用。那是我们现在要来考量的事。
You saw the little flower burst open, and a cloud rose, you say, like enchantment. 你看到了小花的绽开,一片玫瑰色的云雾,你说像有魔力一样。
Now all this is necessary for the nature of the plant. 所有这些都是植物自然生长所必需的。
n.迷惑,妖术,魅力
- The beauty of the scene filled us with enchantment.风景的秀丽令我们陶醉。
- The countryside lay as under some dread enchantment.乡村好像躺在某种可怖的魔法之下。
短而硬的毛发,刷子毛( bristle的名词复数 )
- the bristles on his chin 他下巴上的胡楂子
- This job bristles with difficulties. 这项工作困难重重。
n.丝绒,天鹅绒;adj.丝绒制的,柔软的
- This material feels like velvet.这料子摸起来像丝绒。
- The new settlers wore the finest silk and velvet clothing.新来的移民穿着最华丽的丝绸和天鹅绒衣服。
adj.分离的,化为碎片
- The curtains had been drawn asunder.窗帘被拉向两边。
- Your conscience,conviction,integrity,and loyalties were torn asunder.你的良心、信念、正直和忠诚都被扯得粉碎了。