英语PK台 第656期:老外都在吃的中国零食神物—辣条
英语课
Dialogue 1
Mark: What have you been up to, Jingjing?
马克:最近忙什么呢,京晶?
Jingjing: Things have been a little hectic 1 at work.
京晶:最近有点忙乱。
Mark: I'm sure you can manage. Anyway, there are just a few weeks before the holiday. Would you like a snack? I ordered these online and haven't tried them yet.
马克:我相信你能搞定呢。对了,还有几周就是假期了,你想来点零食吗?我在网上订了一些,不过还没试吃。
Jingjing: So, you want me to be your guinea pig? Let me see.
京晶:所以你想让我当你的豚鼠(试验对象)?给我看看
Mark: You can read more of the Chinese words on the packaging 2 than I can. I just know that 辣条 means 3 spicy 4 stick.
马克:你比我更能读懂更多包装上的英文。我就只知道“辣条”的意思是很辣的小棍。
Jingjing: Haven't you seen the videos about this?
京晶:你没看过这些东西的视频吗?
Mark: There are lots of videos about snack food. They kind of run together after a while.
马克:有很多关于零食的视频。看一会儿过后它们就混到一块儿分不清了。(看上去雷同)
Jingjing: You'd remember these videos. Anyway, these snacks are so spicy that your mouth hurts for half an hour after eating one.
京晶:你得记住这些视频。对了,这些零食特别辣,以致于吃一个之后你的嘴能疼半小时。
Mark: Well, that doesn't sound very appetizing.
马克:这听着好像不怎么有食欲啊。
Jingjing: Actually, the ones you have here aren't the spiciest 5. There are several levels, up to toxic—or crazy spicy.
京晶:事实上,你手头的这款不是最辣的。有好几个辣的档次,最高是毒辣或者变态辣。
Mark: Sorry, Jingjing. I wasn't trying to trick you.
马克:不好意思,京晶。我没想着要捉弄你的。
Jingjing: That's ok. I'd be glad to try one of these, but I usually avoid spicy food.
京晶:没事的。我也很高兴能尝试其中一款,不过我通常是避免吃辣的。
Mark: Well, since I accepted the package on my way out of the house today, I'm eager to see what they taste like.
马克:那,既然我今天在出门时收到了包裹,我迫不及待想尝一尝它们到底是什么个味道。
Jingjing: Why don't you take one of these white chocolates as a backup. After you've tried the spicy stick, white chocolate can help soothe 6 your taste buds 7.
京晶:你为什么不带上这些白巧克力以防万一呢. 你试过辣条以后,白巧克力会帮助安抚你的味蕾。
Mark: That's cool. Thanks, Jingjing. Well, here goes.
马克:这法子不错。谢谢京晶。那就来一条了。
Jingjing: How is it?
京晶:怎么样?
Mark: It's spicy, but not too spicy. Now I'm curious about the super spicy ones.
马克:是辣的,但没有太辣。现在我特别好奇那种超级辣的是什么味道呢。
Jingjing: Suit yourself. It's better to stick with real food, in my opinion.
京晶:随你便吧。我觉得,最好还是吃能填饱肚子的食物吧。
New words: 习语短语
hectic 纷繁忙乱的,头绪多的,压力大的
busy, a little stressful
you can manage 你能搞定,能做好
you'll do well and be fine
guinea pig 豚鼠(试验品)
someone who tries something before others, as in an experiment
run together 看着雷同
seem very similar, after too many are seen
appetizing 开胃的
seem tasty
a backup 备案
something available after the first one has been used
taste buds 味蕾
small parts of the tongue that let you know if your food is salty or sweet
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: How goes it this week, Mark?
京晶:这周过得怎么样,马克?
Mark: Pretty good. Hey, I saw a few of those videos about people eating super spicy sticks.
马克:还不错呢。我看了一些人们吃超级辣辣条的视频。
Jingjing: Were they funny?
京晶:好玩吗?好笑吗?
Mark: I guess, in a viral video sort of way. Each one of those videos just shows someone taking a bite of a spicy stick and then reacting 8 to how spicy it was.
马克:从流行性视频的角度来看,每一个都表现了某个人稍微尝了一口辣条,然后对有多辣做出反应。
Jingjing: There's one I saw of a foreigner who speaks fluent 9 Chinese.
京晶:我看到一个是一个中文特别溜的老外。
Mark: Yeah, I saw one too. I could understand most of what he was saying. If it were me, and I ate something that was way too spicy, I'd probably forget to speak Chinese and go back to English.
马克:是呢,我也看到一个。我能明白大部分他说的。如果是我吃了太辣的东西,我可能会忘记说中文直接跳回英文了。
Jingjing: Ha ha. It's a bit to maintain 10, if you're showing your reaction to something that was crazy spicy.
京晶:哈哈。有点装,如果你在表现你吃了某种变态辣的东西后的反应是这样的话。
Mark: I know, right? If it's really beyond what you can bear, how can you keep your selfie stick steady 11?
马克:我知道,可不是吗?如果真的超越了你的承受力。你怎么能还保持着你的自拍杆儿那么稳呢?
Jingjing: And, if it's not so bad that you lose control, it's no big deal. Is that it?
京晶:而且,如果你就算是失控了也没什么大不了的,对吗?
Mark: Hmm, I guess I'd rather see real suffering on a video, not fake 12 suffering.
马克:我倒是宁愿看一些真实的苦不堪言,而不是演的。
Jingjing: Look at how desensitized you are because of internet content.
京晶:你看看这些网络的东西让你有多脱敏。
Mark: It does take a lot to shock me.
马克:确实也让我非常震惊。
Jingjing: So, you're convinced 13 that the spiciest of the spicy sticks is not too big of a deal?
京晶:所以,你被说服了(相信了)就算是是超级辣的辣条其实也不算个什么事儿?
Mark: Well, it doesn't look like that much fun.
马克:看上去不是那么好玩嘛
Jingjing: And, it's probably too late for you to make your own video about it. The fad 14 is going to be over soon.
京晶:也是你再做一个自己的视频的话可能有点晚了。这股热潮就快过去了。
Mark: I'll use my pocket money to satisfy 15 my sweet tooth. That reminds me, do you have any more of those chocolates?
马克:我要用我的零花钱来满足我的甜口,这提醒了我,那些巧克力你还有吗?
Jingjing: Here, help yourself.
京晶:这儿,自己拿。
New words: 习语短语
in a ... sort of way 以某种……的方式
(qualified judgement, not what you'd usually hope for after hearing the adjective) She looks beautiful, in a Meryl Streep sort of way. He's nice, in a Dustin Hoffman sort of way. Their new house was well-decorated, in a hotel sort of way.
desensitized 使……不敏感
accustomed to seeing violence or exciting content, so that it no longer has much effect
adj.肺病的;消耗热的;发热的;闹哄哄的
- I spent a very hectic Sunday.我度过了一个忙乱的星期天。
- The two days we spent there were enjoyable but hectic.我们在那里度过的两天愉快但闹哄哄的。
n.包装,包装业,包装术
- The packaging does not conform to EU rules.这种包装不符合欧盟规定。
- These materials can be recycled into other packaging products.可以回收这些材料制成其他包装产品。
n.方法,手段,折中点,物质财富
- That man used artful means to find out secrets.那人使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- We must get it done by some means or other.我们总得想办法把它干完。
adj.加香料的;辛辣的,有风味的
- The soup tasted mildly spicy.汤尝起来略有点辣。
- Very spicy food doesn't suit her stomach.太辣的东西她吃了胃不舒服。
v.安慰;使平静;使减轻;缓和;奉承
- I've managed to soothe him down a bit.我想方设法使他平静了一点。
- This medicine should soothe your sore throat.这种药会减轻你的喉痛。
芽( bud的名词复数 ); 苞; 半开的花; 未长大的叶
- the first buds appearing in spring 春天的初芽
- Willow trees breaking out into buds foretell the coming of spring. 柳枝绽青报春来。
起反应的,反应的
- The law is often tardy in reacting to changing attitudes. 法律对变化中的观念常常反应迟缓。
- The water was reacting with the ferrous iron in the tank. 水与水箱中的铁质产生化学反应。
adv.流利地,流畅地
- She is fluent in five languages.她通晓五种语言。
- My father speaks fluent English.我父亲讲一口流利的英语。
vt.支撑;赡养,抚养;维持,保有
- He has to maintain a large family on a small salary.他不得不依靠很少的工资养活一家人。
- We must do our best to maintain sales at their usual rate.我们要尽力使销售额保持在平日的水平上。
adj.稳定的,不动摇的,沉着的,稳固的,坚定的,可靠的;vt.使稳定
- She has a steady income.她有固定的收入。
- He is a steady young man.他是一个稳重的年轻人。
vt.伪造,造假,假装;n.假货,赝品
- He can tell a fake from the original.他能分辨出赝品和真品。
- You can easily fake up an excuse to avoid going out with him.你可以很容易地编造一个借口而不与他一同外出。
adj.确信的;深信的;有坚定信仰的v.使确信(convince的过去分词);说服
- I am convinced of her innocence. 我坚信她是清白无辜的。
- I'm convinced there's a jinx on this car. 我看这辆汽车是灾星。
n.时尚;一时流行的狂热;一时的爱好
- His interest in photography is only a passing fad.他对摄影的兴趣只是一时的爱好罢了。
- A hot business opportunity is based on a long-term trend not a short-lived fad.一个热门的商机指的是长期的趋势而非一时的流行。
标签:
英语PK台