英语PK台 第815期: 职场发飙 同事争执
英语课
Dialogue 1
Mark: This is the room we reserved for your meeting.
马克:这间就是我们给会议预留的房间。
Jingjing: Thanks for taking care of everything。
京晶:感谢把一切都安排妥当了。
Mark. Let's have a look-see.
马克:让我们进去仔细再查看一下。
Mark: Oh, I didn't bring the key with me. I'll be back in five. Hang tough.
马克:噢,我没有带钥匙。我5分钟后就回来。稍等我一下。
Jingjing: Uh, ok. I'll be right here, then.
京晶:噢,好的。那我就在这里等
Mark: Okay, so, let me try this key. Whew! There we go.
马克:好的,让我试试这把钥匙。(发出松了一口气的声音)开了
Jingjing: How about we open some windows, it's awfully 1 stuffy 2 in here.
京晶:我们开点窗户怎么样,屋里简直太闷了。
Mark: Only this one at the end of the room can be moved. Could you hold my coffee for me. I'll try to pry 3 it open.
马克:只有屋子尽头这一扇能被推动。能帮我拿下咖啡吗,我试下把它撬开。
Jingjing: Why don't you put your coffee down on the table. Oh, and where is the projector 4? Isn't there always one in the room?
京晶:为什么你不吧咖啡放在桌上呢。噢,投影仪在哪儿?这屋里不是一直有一台吗?
Mark: Nah, that's probably locked up in another room. You could give Rick a holler about it.
马克:没有啊,可能被锁在另一个房间里了。你可以联系下瑞克。
Jingjing: I don't have time to hunt him down. Do you know his extension?
京晶:我可没功夫去找他。你知道他的分机号吗?
Mark: Not off the top of my head. Check the directory.
马克:我脑子里想不起来。查一查电话簿吧。
Jingjing: You're not much help, are you?
京晶:你这人有什么用,嗯?
Mark: Well, I only found out about this meeting before lunch today.
马克:那什么,我午饭前才知道有这个会的。
Jingjing: And that didn't stop you from taking a full lunch break, right?
京晶:那也不妨碍你尽情地吃了个午餐啊!
Mark: Nope. I figured people were doing their job, keeping meeting rooms in good shape, and, if not, I could come back after lunch and make it my job—like I'm doing right now.
马克:没。我猜想有人已经在做他们该做的事,让会议室一切都状态完好,如果不是这样的话,我午饭后回来再亲自弄——就像我现在做的这样。
Jingjing: Yeah, thanks for all your help.
京晶:是哈,真的要谢谢你所有的帮助了。
Mark: Are you being sarcastic 5?
马克:你是在讽刺吗?
Jingjing: Do you have to ask?
京晶:非要问?
New words : 习语短语
have a look-see 仔细查看
look at something, inspect it
hang tough 等等,耐心等
wait, without doing anything and without being impatient
stuffy 窒闷的
a room with no fresh air
pry something open 撬开,费力打开
open something with difficulty
give someone a holler 联系某人,电话呀,信息,亲自去找
contact someone, maybe trying a few different ways (phone, text, visiting)
hunt someone down 到处找找
find someone, especially when you have to check several places
(know something) off the top of my head know 凭头脑记忆就知道,就能想起来
something without looking at printed information
sarcastic 讽刺的
saying the opposite of what you mean, in a mocking tone of voice
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Look, I really need you to get your head out of your backside and change your attitude.
京晶:你看,我真的需要你别再这么假装置身事外了,改变下你的态度吧。
Mark: Hey, it's all good. I'll run and grab a projector, and you can set up things the way you like in here.
马克:嘿,不挺好的吗。我这就去拿投影仪,你可以在这里按你想要的方式来安排事情。
Jingjing: Fat chance! I've got to look over my presentation notes, then chat with people when they come in early. In less than an hour, I'm presenting at the meeting. Set-up is your job.
京晶:没戏!我必须得看我的演讲笔记,还要和早到的人聊天。不到一小时,我就要在会上发言了。安排是你的事!
Mark: Why don't you take a deep breath.
马克:为什么不深呼吸一下呢?
Jingjing: You know what? I'm tired of dealing 6 with you. Get this room ready for the meeting within 15 minutes, or I'll put in a bad report about you. Got it?
京晶:你知道吗?我真的是很厌烦跟你打交道了。15分钟内把房间给我收拾好了!否则,我要汇报你的罪状,听明白了吗?
Mark: That sounds like a threat.
马克:听着像是一个威胁啊。
Jingjing: Well, that's what happens when your work is sloppy 7. Now, you know what to do.
京晶:当你把工作做得很烂时就是这个结果。现在你知道该做什么了吧。
Mark: Yeah, actually, I do.
马克:是的。事实上我还真知道了。
Jingjing: This end of the room is already set up well. I'm going to open my computer here, and expect everything to be ready in another 10 minutes.
京晶:房间这头已经安排好了。我要在这儿开电脑了,再有个10分钟,期待一切妥当。
Mark: I thought you said 15.
马克:我以为你说的15分钟。
Jingjing: Now it's 14—make that 13.
京晶:现在,14,马上13。
Mark: Okay, okay, Jingjing. I'll see to it. You just sit tight and I'll get this room up to spot.
马克:好的,好的,京晶,我这就弄。你就放心坐等吧,我会把房间收拾好的。
Jingjing: Great. We're done arguing about it, right?
京晶:很好。那我们的争执到此为止?
Mark: Yes. Sorry about the bad attitude. I'll let you focus on your presentation.
马克:是的,抱歉刚才那个很差的态度。这就让你专心准备演讲。
Jingjing: Fantastic. Thanks, Mark.
京晶:好极了,多谢马克。
Mark: Sure thing!
马克:不客气,没事儿。
New words : 习语短语
get your head out of your backside 别再做出无能为力的样子,从现在起做点正确的事
(family-friendly version of “get your head out of your ass”) stop acting 8 incompetently 9 and do things correctly from now on
Fat chance! 完全不可能!
That's not likely to happen!
sloppy 疏忽地,做得很差的,马虎的,潦草的
carelessly and poorly done
sit tight 等等,不用操心,坐等
wait, without doing anything, knowing that something will be done by others
adv.可怕地,非常地,极端地
- Agriculture was awfully neglected in the past.过去农业遭到严重忽视。
- I've been feeling awfully bad about it.对这我一直感到很难受。
adj.不透气的,闷热的
- It's really hot and stuffy in here.这里实在太热太闷了。
- It was so stuffy in the tent that we could sense the air was heavy with moisture.帐篷里很闷热,我们感到空气都是潮的。
vi.窥(刺)探,打听;vt.撬动(开,起)
- He's always ready to pry into other people's business.他总爱探听别人的事。
- We use an iron bar to pry open the box.我们用铁棍撬开箱子。
n.投影机,放映机,幻灯机
- There is a new projector in my office.我的办公室里有一架新的幻灯机。
- How long will it take to set up the projector?把这个放映机安放好需要多长时间?
adj.讥讽的,讽刺的,嘲弄的
- I squashed him with a sarcastic remark.我说了一句讽刺的话把他给镇住了。
- She poked fun at people's shortcomings with sarcastic remarks.她冷嘲热讽地拿别人的缺点开玩笑。
n.经商方法,待人态度
- This store has an excellent reputation for fair dealing.该商店因买卖公道而享有极高的声誉。
- His fair dealing earned our confidence.他的诚实的行为获得我们的信任。
adj.邋遢的,不整洁的
- If you do such sloppy work again,I promise I'll fail you.要是下次作业你再马马虎虎,我话说在头里,可要给你打不及格了。
- Mother constantly picked at him for being sloppy.母亲不断地批评他懒散。
n.演戏,行为,假装;adj.代理的,临时的,演出用的
- Ignore her,she's just acting.别理她,她只是假装的。
- During the seventies,her acting career was in eclipse.在七十年代,她的表演生涯黯然失色。
adv.无能力地
- He did the job rather incompetently. 这项工作他做的相当不好。 来自互联网
- When the Republicans have stuck by their principles, they have done so incompetently. 当共和党忠于其原则时,他们是如此无能。 来自互联网
标签:
英语PK台