夏洛的网 第4期:早饭前(4)
英语课
阿拉布尔先生微笑了。
"Certainly not," he said, looking down at his daughter with love.
“当然不会,”他说着,疼爱地低头看着女儿,
"But this is different. A little girl is one thing, a little runty pig is another."
“不过这是两码事。女孩小是一回事,落脚猪小又是一回事。”
"I see no difference," replied Fern,
“我看不出有什么两样,”弗恩回答说,
still hanging on to the ax.
仍旧抓住斧头不放,
"This is the most terrible case of injustice 2 I ever heard of."
“我听到过那么多不公平的事,这件事是最最不公平的。”
A queer look came over John Arable's face.
约翰.阿拉布尔先生脸上掠过一种古怪的表情。
He seemed almost ready to cry himself.
他觉得自己也要哭出来了。
"All right," he said. "You go back to the house and I will bring the runt when I come in.
“好吧好吧,”他说,“你先回去,我回家的时候把这落脚猪带回来,
I'll let you start it on a bottle, like a baby.
让你用奶瓶喂它奶,像喂小宝宝似的。
Then you'll see what trouble a pig can be."
这下子你就会看到,对付一只小猪有多么麻烦了。”
adj.可耕的,适合种植的
- The terrain changed quickly from arable land to desert.那个地带很快就从耕地变成了沙漠。
- Do you know how much arable land has been desolated?你知道什么每年有多少土地荒漠化吗?