绿野仙踪 第114期:奥芝的秘密(7)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:绿野仙踪.The.Wizard.Of.Oz
英语课
"What is that?" asked Dorothy. 多萝茜问:“轻气球?”
"A man who goes up in a balloon on circus day, so as to draw a crowd of people together and get them to pay to see the circus," he explained. “在马戏团,一个人坐在升起来的轻气球里面,吸引一大群的观众,赶来看马戏,从而让观众购买门票。”他解释着。
"Oh," she said, "I know." 她说:“唔,原来是这样。”
"Well, one day I went up in a balloon and the ropes got twisted, so that I couldn't come down again. “啊,有一天,我坐在升起了的轻气球里面,那绳子被弄断了,因此,我便降落不了。”
It went way up above the clouds, so far that a current of air struck it and carried it many, many miles away. “轻气球飘荡在云上面,上空有一种气流,向那老远的地方推着它,把它带走很长一段路。
For a day and a night I traveled through the air, 我在高空中游荡了一天一夜,
and on the morning of the second day I awoke and found the balloon floating over a strange and beautiful country. 在第二天早晨,我醒来时发觉轻气球飞在异常美丽的国土上空。
"It came down gradually, and I was not hurt a bit. “它慢慢地降落下来,我也没有受伤。
But I found myself in the midst 1 of a strange people, who, seeing me come from the clouds, thought I was a great Wizard. 但是我发现自己落在奇异的人群中间,他们看见我从云端里下来,便认定我是一个伟大的魔术师。
Of course I let them think so, because they were afraid of me, 当然,我也没有纠正他们,因此他们都敬畏我,
and promised to do anything I wished them to. 而且完全听从我的命令。
"Just to amuse myself, and keep the good people busy, I ordered them to build this City, and my Palace; “为了让我自己快乐,并且为了使这些善良的人民忙碌起来,我命令他们建造这座城,以及我的宫殿,
and they did it all willingly and well. 他们全都愿意而且尽力做得完美。
Then I thought, as the country was so green and beautiful, I would call it the Emerald City; 于是我想,因为这个国土覆盖着绿色,而且这样的美丽,我就叫它做翡翠城,
and to make the name fit better I put green spectacles 2 on all the people, so that everything they saw was green." 为了使它更加名副其实,我命令所有的人戴上了绿眼镜,这样每一种东西,看起来必然都是绿的。”
1 midst
n.中部,中间,当中
- The hut is in the midst of the forest.小屋在森林深处。
- There is a thief in our midst.我们当中有小偷。
2 spectacles
n.眼镜
- a pair of spectacles 一副眼镜
- People wear spectacles so that they can see better. 人们戴眼镜是为了看得更清楚。
标签:
绿野仙踪