精灵鼠小弟 第88期:北边有值得留恋的东西
英语课
"There's something about north," he said, "something that sets it apart from all other directions."
“北边有些值得留恋的东西,”他说,“这是它和别的方向都不同的原因。”
A person who is heading north is not making any mistake, in my opinion.
一个人要是一直朝北走就准不会出错,我个人认为。
"That's the way I look at it," said Stuart.
“我也这么看,”斯图亚特说。
I rather expect that from now on I shall be traveling north until the end of my days.
我希望从现在起一直向北走,直到生命的结束。
"Worse things than that could happen to a person," said the repairman.
“一个人在路上也可能遇到比死亡更可怕的事情。”修理工说。
"Yes, I know," answered Stuart.
“是的,我知道,”斯图亚特回答。
"Following a broken telephone line north, I have come upon some wonderful places," continued the repairman.
“沿着北边的那根破电线杆的方向往北走时,我曾发现过一些精彩的地方,”修理工继续说。
Swamps where cedars 1 grow and turtles wait on logs but not for anything in particular;
沼泽那里有青葱的香柏还有在树干上若有所待的甲鱼此外就没什么别的了;
fields bordered by crooked 2 fences broken by years of standing 3 still;
被破篱笆圈起来的田地早已荒芜,多少年来就那么静静地站在那里;
orchards 4 so old they have forgotten where the farmhouse 5 is.
果园也已破敝不堪早就被人遗忘了。
In the north I have eaten my lunch in pastures rank with ferns and junipers, all under fair skies with a wind blowing.
我在北边的草场上吃我的午饭时,身边是成排的羊齿植物和杜松,四周是呜呜作响的风。
My business has taken me into spruce woods on winter nights where the snow lay deep and soft, a perfect place for a carnival 6 of rabbits.
在冬夜里由于工作的需要我会来到覆盖着松软深厚的积雪的美丽森林,那里是野兔藏身的好地方。
I have sat at peace on the freight platforms of railroad junctions 7 in the north, in the warm hours and with the warm smells.
我也曾很多次静静地坐在朝北的货运站的月台旁,呼吸着温暖的空气,静度我安闲的时光。
1 cedars
雪松,西洋杉( cedar的名词复数 )
- The old cedars were badly damaged in the storm. 风暴严重损害了古老的雪松。
- Open thy doors, O Lebanon, that the fire may devour thy cedars. 1黎巴嫩哪,开开你的门,任火烧灭你的香柏树。
2 crooked
adj.弯曲的;不诚实的,狡猾的,不正当的
- He crooked a finger to tell us to go over to him.他弯了弯手指,示意我们到他那儿去。
- You have to drive slowly on these crooked country roads.在这些弯弯曲曲的乡间小路上你得慢慢开车。
3 standing
n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
- After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
- They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
4 orchards
(通常指围起来的)果园( orchard的名词复数 )
- They turned the hills into orchards and plains into granaries. 他们把山坡变成了果园,把平地变成了粮仓。
- Some of the new planted apple orchards have also begun to bear. 有些新开的苹果园也开始结苹果了。
5 farmhouse
n.农场住宅(尤指主要住房)
- We fell for the farmhouse as soon as we saw it.我们对那所农舍一见倾心。
- We put up for the night at a farmhouse.我们在一间农舍投宿了一夜。
标签:
精灵鼠小弟