精灵鼠小弟 第24期:斯图亚特跳上纵帆船
英语课
The Lillian B. Womrath has always been able to beat the Wasp 1 sailing, but I believe that if my schooner 2 were properly handled it would be a different story.
莉莲B.沃拉尔号总能撞到黄蜂号,但我相信如果我的纵帆船被很好地操纵,故事的结局就会不同了。
Nobody knows how I suffer, standing 3 here on shore, helpless, watching the Wasp blunder along,
没有人知道当我无助地站在岸边,看着我的黄蜂被野蛮地撞来撞去的时候,我是忍着多么大的痛苦。
when all she needs is a steady hand on her helm.
那时候她多需要一双能稳稳把住她的舵的手呵。
So, my young friend, I'll let you sail the Wasp across the pond and back, and if you can beat that detestable sloop 4, I'll give you a regular job.
因此,我年轻的朋友,我将允许你把黄蜂号在这个池塘里开,而且如果你能狠狠的击败那艘可恶到极点的纵帆船的话,我还会给你一份正式的工作。
"Aye, aye, sir!" said Stuart, swinging himself aboard the schooner and taking his place at the wheel.
“好的,先生!”斯图亚特说着跳上那纵帆船,开始发动舵轮。
Ready about!
准备起航!
"One moment," said the man.
“等一等,”那个男人说,
Do you mind telling me how you propose to beat the other boat?
你还没有告诉我你打算怎么击败那艘船呢!
"I intend to crack on more sail," said Stuart.
“我打算撞裂她,”斯图亚特说。
"Not in my boat, thank you," replied the man quickly.
“谢谢,不要用我的船撞,”这个男人很快地回答。
I don't want you capsizing in a squall.
我不想你在大风中翻船。
"Well, then," said Stuart, "I'll catch the sloop broad on, and rake her with fire from my forward gun."
“好的,那么,”斯图亚特说,“我将开到她旁边,用我先进的武器对她猛烈扫射。”
"Foul 5 means!" said the man. "I want this to be a boat race, not a naval 6 engagement."
“这方法太不正当了!”男人说。“我是想参加帆船比赛,不想去打海战。”
"Well, then," said Stuart cheerfully, "I'll sail the Wasp straight and true, and let the Lillian B. Womrath go yawing all over the pond.
“好的,那么,”斯图亚特兴奋地说,“我将把黄蜂号笔直地往前开,并设法让莉莲号在航道中偏航。”
n.黄蜂,蚂蜂
- A wasp stung me on the arm.黄蜂蜇了我的手臂。
- Through the glass we can see the wasp.透过玻璃我们可以看到黄蜂。
n.纵帆船
- The schooner was driven ashore.那条帆船被冲上了岸。
- The current was bearing coracle and schooner southward at an equal rate.急流正以同样的速度将小筏子和帆船一起冲向南方。
n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
- After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
- They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
n.单桅帆船
- They heeled the sloop well over,skimming it along to windward.他们使单桅小船倾斜适当,让它顶着风向前滑去。
- While a sloop always has two sails,a cat-rigged boat generally has only one.一艘单桅帆船总是有两面帆,但一艘单桅艇通常只有一面帆。
adj.污秽的;邪恶的;v.弄脏;妨害;犯规;n.犯规
- Take off those foul clothes and let me wash them.脱下那些脏衣服让我洗一洗。
- What a foul day it is!多么恶劣的天气!