夏洛的网 第178期:叔叔(4)
英语课
As soon as the people were gone, Charlotte spoke 1 to Wilbur. 人们一走,夏洛就对威尔伯说:
"It's a good thing you can't see what I see," she said. “我在上面看到的东西是你在下面看不到的。”它说。
"What do you see?" asked Wilbur. “你看到什么了?”威尔伯问道。
"There's a pig in the next pen and he's enormous. “隔壁猪圈有只猪,很大很大。
I'm afraid he's much bigger than you are." 我怕它比你大多了。”
"Maybe he's older than I am, and has had more time to grow," suggested Wilbur. “也许它的岁数比我大,活得比我长。”威尔伯说。
Tears began to come to his eyes. 它的眼里流出了泪水。
"I'll drop down and have a closer look," Charlotte said. “让我吊下去好好近看看它。”夏洛说。
Then she crawled along a beam till she was directly over the next pen. 于是它顺着横梁爬到隔壁猪圈上面。
She let herself down on a dragline until she hung in the air just in front of the big pig's snout. 它吐出一根长丝,一直落到那大猪的鼻子前面。
"May I have your name?" she asked, politely. “能请问一下,你叫什么名字吗?”夏洛彬彬有礼地问道。
The pig stared at her. 那猪看着它。
"No name," he said in a big, hearty 2 voice. "Just call me Uncle." “我没有名字,”它响亮地大声说。“那就叫我‘叔叔’吧。”
"Very well, Uncle," replied Charlotte. “很好,‘叔叔’,”夏洛回答说,
"What is the date of your birth? Are you a spring pig?" “你是哪一天出生的?你是春猪吗?”
"Sure I'm a spring pig," replied Uncle. “我当然是春猪,”“叔叔”回答说,
"What did you think I was, a spring chicken? “你以为我是什么,一只春鸡吗?
Haw, haw - that's a good one, eh, Sister." 哈,哈——这笑话不错吧,对吗,小妹妹?”
"Mildly funny," said Charlotte. "I've heard funnier ones, though. “相当滑稽,”夏洛说,“不过我听到过更滑稽的。
Glad to have met you, and now I must be going." 很高兴碰到你,现在我得走了。”
She ascended 3 slowly and returned to Wilbur's pen. 夏洛慢慢地爬上去,回到威尔伯的猪圈。
n.(车轮的)辐条;轮辐;破坏某人的计划;阻挠某人的行动 v.讲,谈(speak的过去式);说;演说;从某种观点来说
- They sourced the spoke nuts from our company.他们的轮辐螺帽是从我们公司获得的。
- The spokes of a wheel are the bars that connect the outer ring to the centre.辐条是轮子上连接外圈与中心的条棒。
adj.热情友好的;衷心的;尽情的,纵情的
- After work they made a hearty meal in the worker's canteen.工作完了,他们在工人食堂饱餐了一顿。
- We accorded him a hearty welcome.我们给他热忱的欢迎。
标签:
夏洛的网