夏洛的网 第179期:叔叔(5)
英语课
"He claims he's a spring pig," reported Charlotte, “它说它是只春猪,”夏洛禀报说,
"and perhaps he is. One thing is certain, he has a most unattractive personality. “也许是的。有一件事可以肯定,它太不讨人喜欢了。
He is too familiar, too noisy, and he cracks weak jokes. 它太放肆,太吵闹,还叽叽呱呱地说些蹩脚的笑话。
Also, he's not anywhere near as clean as you are, nor as pleasant. 还有,它一点没你干净,也不及你讨人喜欢。
I took quite a dislike to him in our brief interview. 我和它就谈了两句,已经觉得很不喜欢它。
He's going to be a hard pig to beat, though, Wilbur, on account of his size and weight. 不过由于它个子大,有分量,赢这只猪可不容易,威尔伯。
But with me helping 1 you, it can be done." 可是有我相助,这件事做得到。”
"When are you going to spin a web?" asked Wilbur. “你什么时候开始结网?”威尔伯问道。
"This afternoon, late, if I'm not too tired," said Charlotte. “要是不太累,今天下午,”夏洛说,
"The least thing tires me these days. “这几天最小的事也会把我累坏。
I don't seem to have the energy I once had. My age, I guess." 我似乎没有以前那种精力了。我想是岁数的关系。”
Wilbur looked at his friend. 威尔伯看着它的朋友。
She looked rather swollen 2 and she seemed listless. 夏洛看上去肿胀得厉害,像是很累的样子。
"I'm awfully 3 sorry to hear that you're feeling poorly, Charlotte," he said. “听你说觉得不舒服,我特别难过,夏洛,”它说,
"Perhaps if you spin a web and catch a couple of flies you'll feel better." “也许你结出网来,捉上两只苍蝇会感到好些。”
"Perhaps," she said, wearily 4. “也许吧,”夏洛有气无力地说,
"But I feel like the end of a long day." “不过我感觉漫长的一天好象到了尽头。”
Clinging 5 upside down to the ceiling, 它倒过来挂在天花板上,
she settled down for a nap, 开始打盹,
leaving Wilbur very much worried. 留下威尔伯十分担心。
n.食物的一份&adj.帮助人的,辅助的
- The poor children regularly pony up for a second helping of my hamburger. 那些可怜的孩子们总是要求我把我的汉堡包再给他们一份。
- By doing this, they may at times be helping to restore competition. 这样一来, 他在某些时候,有助于竞争的加强。
adj.肿大的,水涨的;v.使变大,肿胀
- Her legs had got swollen from standing up all day.因为整天站着,她的双腿已经肿了。
- A mosquito had bitten her and her arm had swollen up.蚊子叮了她,她的手臂肿起来了。
adv.可怕地,非常地,极端地
- Agriculture was awfully neglected in the past.过去农业遭到严重忽视。
- I've been feeling awfully bad about it.对这我一直感到很难受。
adv. 疲倦地,厌烦地
- He trudged wearily along the path. 他沿着小路疲惫地走去。
- He sagged wearily back in his chair. 他疲倦地瘫坐到椅子上。
标签:
夏洛的网