精灵鼠小弟 第42期:两只猫的谈话
英语课
"Goodness," said the Angora cat, "you mean to say you live in the same house with a bird and a mouse and don't do anything about it?"“老天,”那只安哥拉猫说,“你是说你和一只鸟儿还有一只耗子住在一起,而且从没有打扰过他们?”
"That's the situation," replied Snowbell.
“就是这样,”雪球回答。
But what can I do about it?
不过我还能怎样?
Please remember that Stuart is a member of the family, and the bird is a permanent 1 guest, like myself.
请记住,斯图亚特也是这个家庭的一员,而那只鸟是永远受欢迎的客人,就像我一样。
"Well," said Snowbell's friend, " all I can say is, you've got more self-control than I have."“哦,”雪球的朋友说,“我能说的是,你比我更能自我克制。”
"Doubtless,"said Snowbell.
“毫无疑问,”雪球说。
However, I sometimes think I've got too much self-control for my own good.
不管怎样,我有时想我克制得太过分了。
I've been terribly nervous and upset lately, and I think it's because I'm always holding myself in.
近来我的神经一直承受着巨大的刺激,我想那是因为我总在受压抑的原因。
The cats' voices grew louder, and they talked so loudly that they never heard a slight rustling 2 in the vine 3 a few feet above their heads.
两只猫的声音越来越高,由于他们谈得这么大声,根本没听到从常春藤上几步高的地方里传出的轻微响动。
It was a gray pigeon 4, who had been asleep there and who had awakened 5 at the sound of cats and begun to listen.
那里有一只在睡觉的灰鸽子,如今已被他们吵醒,正在那里听呢。
"This sounds like an interesting conversation," said the pigeon to himself.
“听起来像是一场有趣的谈话。”鸽子对自己说。
Maybe I'd better stay around and see if I can learn something.
我最好呆在这里,也许还能学到些什么。
adj.永久的,不变的,固定的
- The coat gives permanent protection against heavy rain.这种防雨衣经久耐用。
- It's difficult to find a permanent cure for this disease.这病很难除根。
n.葡萄树;蔓;藤
- The vine twines round the tree.这藤盘绕在树干上。
- There is a vine yard before the hill.山前有一个葡萄园。
n.鸽子
- The pigeon homed from a distance of 100 miles.鸽子从百英里之外返回窝巢。
- How many pigeon eggs do you need?你要几个鸽子蛋?