时间:2019-01-29 作者:英语课 分类:精灵鼠小弟


英语课

 "Pray forgive me, Miss Ames," continued Stuart, for presuming to strike up an acquaintance on so slender an excuse as your physical similarity;


“请原谅我的鲁莽,埃姆斯小姐,”斯图亚特继续写,当看到你那与我相似的外表时我感到就如同遇到了一个旧友。
but of course the fact is, as you yourself must know, there are very few people who are only two inches in height.
但是就是这样,因为你知道,很少有人身高只有两英寸。
I say "two inches" —actually I am somewhat taller than that.
我说“两英寸”还不太确切——实际上我比那还高一点儿。
My only drawback is that I look something like a mouse.
我唯一的缺陷是我的样子像一只老鼠。
I am nicely proportioned, however.
但即便如此,我还是一个很不错的人。
Am also muscular beyond my years.
我还有着一身与我的年龄不相称的强壮肌肉。
Let me be perfectly 1 blunt: my purpose in writing this brief note is to suggest that we meet.
我干脆坦白说吧:我写这个便条的目的是想约你出来见一面。
I realize that your parents may object to the suddenness and directness of my proposal, as well as to my somewhat mouselike appearance,
我怕你的父母可能会反对我这个直率而又突然的提议,而且由于我的外表像老鼠一样,
so I think probably it might be a good idea if you just didn't mention the matter to them.
所以我想如果你不对他们谈起这件事,结果会更好。
What they don't know won't hurt them.
这样他们就会一无所知,也不会受到伤害了。
However, you probably understand more about dealing 2 with your father and mother than I do,
可是,你也许更愿意和你的父母讨论这件事,
so I won't attempt to instruct you but will leave everything to your good judgment 3.
如果那样的话我也不会强迫你别这么做,但我还是要把我的意见留给你做参考。

adv.完美地,无可非议地,彻底地
  • The witnesses were each perfectly certain of what they said.证人们个个对自己所说的话十分肯定。
  • Everything that we're doing is all perfectly above board.我们做的每件事情都是光明正大的。
n.经商方法,待人态度
  • This store has an excellent reputation for fair dealing.该商店因买卖公道而享有极高的声誉。
  • His fair dealing earned our confidence.他的诚实的行为获得我们的信任。
n.审判;判断力,识别力,看法,意见
  • The chairman flatters himself on his judgment of people.主席自认为他审视人比别人高明。
  • He's a man of excellent judgment.他眼力过人。
标签: 精灵鼠小弟