夏洛的网 第55期:夏洛(13)
英语课
"It's cruel," replied Wilbur, who did not intend to be argued out of his position.
“这很残忍。”威尔伯回答说,它不打算被说服而放弃自己的立场。
"Well, you can't talk." said Charlotte.
“这个嘛,你没有发言权,”夏洛说,
"You have your meals brought to you in a pail.
“你是有人用桶子送东西给你吃。
Nobody feeds me. I have to get in own living. I live by my wits.
可没有人给我东西吃。我得自己谋生。我靠自己的本事过活。
I have to be sharp and clever, lest I go hungry.
我得机智灵活,要不然就挨饿。
夏洛的网
I have to think things out, catch what I can, take what comes.
我得自己想办法,能捉什么捉什么,来什么捉什么。
And it just so happens, my friend, that what comes is flies and insects and bugs 1.
就是这样,我的朋友,来的是苍蝇、昆虫和甲虫。
And furthermore," said Charlotte, shaking one of her legs,
再说,”夏洛抖着它的一条腿说,
"do you realize that if I didn't catch bugs and eat them,
“你知道吗,如果我不捉甲虫,不吃掉它们,
bugs would increase and multiply and get so numerous that they'd destroy the earth, wipe out everything?"
甲虫就会增加,成倍成倍地增加,多得会破坏地球,把所有的东西一扫而光?”
"Really?" said Wilbur. "I wouldn't want that to happen.
“真的?”威尔伯说,“我不希望出这样的事。
Perhaps your web is a good thing after all."
这么说,你的网也许还是个好东西。”