夏洛的网 第89期:威尔伯说大话(10)
英语课
"No," said Charlotte. "They don't catch anything.
“不是,”夏洛说,“他们不捉任何东西。
They just keep trotting 1 back and forth 2 across the bridge thinking there is something better on the other side.
他们只是在桥上走过来走过去,老以为另一边有更好的东西。
If they'd hang head-down at the top of the thing and wait quietly, maybe something good would come along.
如果他们在这桥顶上倒过头来静静地等着,也许真有好东西会来。
But no - with men it's rush, rush, rush, every minute.
可是不——人类每分钟都向前冲啊,冲啊,冲啊。
I'm glad I'm a sedentary spider." "What does sedentary mean?" asked Wilbur.
我很高兴我是一只坐网的蜘蛛。”“坐网是什么意思?”威尔伯问道。
"Means I sit still a good part of the time and don't go wandering all over creation 3.
“意思是我大部分时间一动不动地坐在网上,不到处走。
I know a good thing when I see it, and my web is a good thing.
好东西我一看就知道,我的网是样好东西。
I stay put and wait for what comes. Gives me a chance to think."
我固定不动,等着东西送上门来。乘机可以好好想想。”
"Well, I'm sort of sedentary myself, I guess," said the pig.
“这么说来,我想我是坐窝的,”小猪说,
"I have to hang around here whether I want to or not.
“不管我愿意不愿意,我都得待在这里。
You know where I'd really like to be this evening?" "Where?"
你知道今天晚上我实在想上哪里去吗?”“上哪里去?”
小跑,急走( trot的现在分词 ); 匆匆忙忙地走
- The riders came trotting down the lane. 这骑手骑着马在小路上慢跑。
- Alan took the reins and the small horse started trotting. 艾伦抓住缰绳,小马开始慢跑起来。
adv.向前;向外,往外
- The wind moved the trees gently back and forth.风吹得树轻轻地来回摇晃。
- He gave forth a series of works in rapid succession.他很快连续发表了一系列的作品。
标签:
夏洛的网