时间:2018-12-28 作者:英语课 分类:创业成功人士访谈录


英语课

   I was at a rather low level in the company in the beginning,but I saw how the executives got through the bad times


  刚开始我在公司处于一个很低的位置,但是我看到 了公司的经理们是如何渡过难关的。
  —the same way I imagined doctors do in wartime—with humor, perhaps even gallows 1 humor at some points.
  我想这就是类似于医生在战争期间的所作所为带着幽默感,有时甚至是黑色的幽默。
  Even though times were hard, work was fun and exciting, and so I’ve taken that as part of my management style.
  即使在最艰难的时刻,工作还是充满乐趣并且令人兴奋的,所以我把这些当作我管理风格的一部分。
  I mean, we weren’t curing cancer during my career at ABC,or during my eight years at Paramount 2, and we are not curing cancer at Disney.
  我的意思是,我在ABC工作的时候,或我在派拉蒙的8年中,我们并不是在治疗癌症,现在我们在迪士尼也不是在治疗癌 症。
  We're entertaining people, so we don’t whistle while we work, but we do smile and tell jokes.
  我们在为人们带来快乐。当我们工作的时候不会吹□哨,但是我们确实在微笑并说着笑话。
  Of course, that kind of culture doesn’t just happen—you have to make it happen.
  当然,这种文化并不会自己出现,你必须使它出现。
  That’s one of the reasons we started doing our own internal “gong show” back in the 1970s.
  这就是我们从20世纪70年代开始开展我们内部的“铜锣秀”的原因之一。
  We started it at ABC, then it went to Paramount with me, and it’s still at Disney, in some divisions,
  这项活动 最早是在ABC开展的,后来我把它带到了派拉蒙,现在它一直在迪士尼的一些分部里开展。
  it started as a concept where, once a week, we’d invite everybody to come to a conference room,
  一开始,我们是这样设想的,一周一次,我们邀请所有人到一间会议室里
  and anyone could offer up an idea or two and, right on the spot, people would react.
  任何人都可以提出一两个想法,其他人可以当场作出反应。
  We loved the idea of big, unruly, disruptive meetings; that’s what the gong show was all about.
  我们喜欢举办大型的不受约束有分歧的会议。这就是“铜锣秀”。
  The Little Mermaid 3 came out of a gong show, and so did Pocahontas.
  《小美人鱼》的创意产生于“铜锣秀”,《风中奇缘》也一样。
  Lots of ideas came out of those meetings, and people had a great time.
  许多很好的创意来自于这些会议,并且人们过得很愉快。
  Gong shows still go on in the animation 4 business, but they’ve sort of faded off in other parts of the company.
  “铜锣秀”还在动画部门继续,但在公司的其他部门已经逐渐消失了。
  That’s part of getting big and successful.
  企业成长和成功后自然会这样。
  Suddenly, very, very important people don’t want to put themselves into the position of getting “gonged”. Not everybody likes having his or her ideas dismissed .
  突然, 非常非常重要的人不希望自己为大家“鸣锣”,不是所有人都喜欢自己的想法被人否定。

1 gallows
n.绞刑架,绞台
  • The murderer was sent to the gallows for his crimes.谋杀犯由于罪大恶极被处以绞刑。
  • Now I was to expiate all my offences at the gallows.现在我将在绞刑架上赎我一切的罪过。
2 paramount
a.最重要的,最高权力的
  • My paramount object is to save the Union and destroy slavery.我的最高目标是拯救美国,摧毁奴隶制度。
  • Nitrogen is of paramount importance to life on earth.氮对地球上的生命至关重要。
3 mermaid
n.美人鱼
  • How popular would that girl be with the only mermaid mom!和人鱼妈妈在一起,那个女孩会有多受欢迎!
  • The little mermaid wasn't happy because she didn't want to wait.小美人鱼不太高兴,因为她等不及了。
4 animation
n.活泼,兴奋,卡通片/动画片的制作
  • They are full of animation as they talked about their childhood.当他们谈及童年的往事时都非常兴奋。
  • The animation of China made a great progress.中国的卡通片制作取得很大发展。
标签: 创业