创业成功人士访谈录 第19期:戴尔CEO(1)
时间:2018-12-28 作者:英语课 分类:创业成功人士访谈录
英语课
We’re Still the Most Profitable Producer
我们仍然是受益最多的生产商
Did you wait too long to come back?
早就等不及要回来了吗?
I probably could have come back a little bit sooner,
我原本大概可以早一点回来,
but I don’t think I waited too long.
但我并不觉得自己等了太久。
What made you decide to return?
是什么让你决定回来?
The hoard 1 asked me to come back.
董事会要我回来。
It was clear that we needed to make some changes in the company.
很明显,我们的公司需要作出一些改变。
I’m actually quite excited to be back—it gives us a chance to reinvent the business.
实际上,我很高兴回来——这是一个重新开始我们事业的机会。
We’ve taken a very fresh approach to things.
我们重新接触一切事物。
We’re willing to question anything, change everything
我们愿意质疑一切,改变一切,
and do whatever it takes to get success and results for our customers,
为我们的顾客、
our shareholders 2 and our people inside the company.
股东和公司内部人员做一切有助于他们成功的事情。
Your profits have been falling for quite a while.
你们的利润下跌已经有一阵了。
One reason is fairly easy to see:
有一个很显而易见的原因:
our head count grew by 50 percent to about 80,000 employees
我们的雇员已达到8万人,增长了50%。
while revenues grew by just 15 percent.
但是收益只增长了 15%。
That’s not a good idea.
这并不是什么好事情。
What were these people hired for?
雇用这么多人从事什么工作?
We’ve been asking ourselves that same question.
我们也问自己同样的问题。
I think the organization got too complicated.
我认为组织机构太复杂了。
We made it too complicated.
我们把它弄得太复杂了。
The CEO had too many people reporting to him,
有太多的人向CEO汇报工作,
each person reporting to the CEO had an organization to support him,
每位汇报人都有一个支持他的机构,
and then these had their own supporting organizations and so on.
支持机构下面又有机构。
It multiplied out to be a whole lot of people.
机构里“繁殖”出来的人越来越多。
Everyone was well-intentioned, everyone went to work saying
每个人都是出于好意,每个人开始工作的时候都说:
‘We’re going to do great work today,’
“我们今天一定会做得很好!”
but when you add it all up, the structure didn’t work out.
但是如果你把所有的都放在一起看,这种结构并没发挥什么作用。
Does this mean layoffs 3?
这意味着要裁员?
I think it’s pretty clear that our head count is going to go down.
很明显,我认为要减少员工人数。
Do you feel pressured by your shareholders?
有来自股东的压力吗?
I’m the biggest investor 4 in the company, so I feel my own pressure.
我是公司最大的投资商,我感觉到的是来自自己的压力。
Dell used to be the biggest computer maker 5 worldwide.
戴尔曾是世界上最大的电脑制造商。
But last year Hewlett Packard took over and became global market leader.
但是去年,惠普赶超戴尔并成为全球市场的领军人物。
What makes them more successful than you?
是什么让他们更成功?
We're still the most profitable producer.
我们仍然是收益最多的生产商。
HP makes money mainly with printers.
惠普主要依靠经营打印机获利。
Their profit in the PC business is much less than ours.
他们在计算机上的收益远不如我们,
But they are now number one worldwide, absolutely.
但他们现在确实是世界第一。
Was it a mistake to focus on corporate 6 desktops 8 while laptops gained in importance and increasingly became a must-have entertainment device?
在笔记本变得越来越重要的今天,你是否觉得坚持研发台式电脑是一个错误的决定?
If you look at the growth in the computer market for PCs,
如果你关注计算机市场的增长的话,
it has been bigger in developing countries relative to developed countries,
你会发现,发展中国家的市场要大于发达国家,
bigger in mobile computers, and lower in desktop 7 computers,
便携电脑大于台式电脑,
bigger in consumers and lower in corporations.
消费者市场大于企业市场。
Dell has had historical strength in the commercial market in the big, slower growing economies.
在大且缓慢增长的经济中,戴尔有其历史力量。
So mobile computers, consumers, emerging markets—that’s where we’re going next.
所以便携电脑、消费者市场以及新兴市场---这就是我们下一步的计划。
1 hoard
n./v.窖藏,贮存,囤积
- They have a hoard of food in the basement.地下室里有他们贮藏的食物。
- How many curios do you hoard in your study?你在你书房里聚藏了多少古玩?
2 shareholders
n.股东( shareholder的名词复数 )
- The meeting was attended by 90% of shareholders. 90%的股东出席了会议。
- the company's fiduciary duty to its shareholders 公司对股东负有的受托责任
3 layoffs
临时解雇( layoff的名词复数 ); 停工,停止活动
- Textile companies announced 2000 fresh layoffs last week. 各纺织公司上周宣布再次裁员两千人。
- Stock prices broke when the firm suddenly announced layoffs. 当公司突然宣布裁员时,股票价格便大跌
4 investor
n.投资者,投资人
- My nephew is a cautious investor.我侄子是个小心谨慎的投资者。
- The investor believes that his investment will pay off handsomely soon.这个投资者相信他的投资不久会有相当大的收益。
5 maker
n.制造者,制造商
- He is a trouble maker,You must be distant with him.他是个捣蛋鬼,你不要跟他在一起。
- A cabinet maker must be a master craftsman.家具木工必须是技艺高超的手艺人。
6 corporate
adj.共同的,全体的;公司的,企业的
- This is our corporate responsibility.这是我们共同的责任。
- His corporate's life will be as short as a rabbit's tail.他的公司的寿命是兔子尾巴长不了。