创业成功人士访谈录 第86期:我们不做艺术买卖(2)
时间:2018-12-28 作者:英语课 分类:创业成功人士访谈录
英语课
I also had very fond memories of the Cologne art fairs of the early 1990s, especially the Unfairs.
我对于上世纪90年代初 科隆艺术博览会的印象很好,尤其是 Unfairs。
They were fantastic When we started the magazine and began traveling to look at art,
他们非常棒。当我们创办这个杂志并开始旅行欣赏艺术时
fairs were already very important places for learning about artists and meeting people—for working out what was going on, basically.
博览会已经是可以见到艺术家和认识人的重要地方了,去那儿起码可以知道人们都在干什么。
You were quoted recently in The Guardian 1 as saying you first had the idea for the fair in 1998,
《卫报》最近引用过你们的话说 你们最早是1998年有创办博览会这个想法的,
which was surprising to me, given what I understand to have been the surrounding context at the time.
这让我很惊讶,因为想到了当时的环境背景,那时的博览会更少。
There were fewer fairs, certainly. And I imagine, perhaps naively 2, that they did not yet have the complexion 3 of creative entities 4.
也许我想得有些天真,那个时候他们还没有创造性实体的特性。
How were you looking at art fairs at that point?
从这点上看,你是如何看待博览会的?
Well, I actually don’t think there’s been such a huge change; they were important culturally then, as they are now.
实际上我不认为有这么大的变化;就像现在一样它们当时在文化上是很重要的。
Cologne had the kind of energy that I think Frieze 5 has now.
科隆具有的那种活力,我想Frieze现在也具备了。
But I do remember our thinking that when you get all these interesting people together in one place,
但是我记得我们的想法,当你让所有有趣的人汇聚到一个地方时
you could make the whole experience less trade-fair-like and more art-like, or more festival-like.
你应该让他们感到这里更具有艺术感,而不是商业感,或者说,更像个节日。
Not to say there aren’t great distinctions between these endeavors, but we saw ignored opportunities for making fairs more interesting places.
不要说这些努力之间没有差别,但是我们错过了让展会更有趣的机会。
The first person we employed was actually a full-time 6 curator, Polly Staple 7,
我们雇佣的第一人是全职策展人波莉斯戴博,
with whom we set up a nonprofit foundation to really arrive at what would be most interesting to us within this particular context.
与她一道,我们建立了—个非盈利基金,以触及这个特殊的环境里我们觉得最有趣的事物
Polly created a remarkable 8 program that, I should say, gave me the opportunity to see things I wouldn’t have otherwise.
波莉创造了一个非凡的项目,可以说,这使我有机会去观看一些事物,而这些事物是在其他地方看不到的。
But I would like to take a step back and ask how these and other moves—some art-like, some no-set your fair apart from others.
但是我想后退一步了解一下,这些或那些运动,其中一些和艺术有关,一些和艺术无关,将你们的博览会与他人的区分开。
You’ve already mentioned the earlier example of Cologne, but what about our own day?
你曾经提过科隆博览会这个早期的例子,那么现今我们又是什么情况呢?
1 guardian
n.监护人;守卫者,保护者
- The form must be signed by the child's parents or guardian. 这张表格须由孩子的家长或监护人签字。
- The press is a guardian of the public weal. 报刊是公共福利的卫护者。
2 naively
adv. 天真地
- They naively assume things can only get better. 他们天真地以为情况只会变好。
- In short, Knox's proposal was ill conceived and naively made. 总而言之,诺克斯的建议考虑不周,显示幼稚。
3 complexion
n.肤色;情况,局面;气质,性格
- Red does not suit with her complexion.红色与她的肤色不协调。
- Her resignation puts a different complexion on things.她一辞职局面就全变了。
4 entities
实体对像; 实体,独立存在体,实际存在物( entity的名词复数 )
- Our newspaper and our printing business form separate corporate entities. 我们的报纸和印刷业形成相对独立的企业实体。
- The North American continent is made up of three great structural entities. 北美大陆是由三个构造单元组成的。
5 frieze
n.(墙上的)横饰带,雕带
- The Corinthian painter's primary ornamental device was the animal frieze.科林斯画家最初的装饰图案是动物形象的装饰带。
- A careful reconstruction of the frieze is a persuasive reason for visiting Liverpool. 这次能让游客走访利物浦展览会,其中一个具有说服力的原因则是壁画得到了精心的重建。
6 full-time
adj.满工作日的或工作周的,全时间的
- A full-time job may be too much for her.全天工作她恐怕吃不消。
- I don't know how she copes with looking after her family and doing a full-time job.既要照顾家庭又要全天工作,我不知道她是如何对付的。
7 staple
n.主要产物,常用品,主要要素,原料,订书钉,钩环;adj.主要的,重要的;vt.分类
- Tea is the staple crop here.本地产品以茶叶为大宗。
- Potatoes are the staple of their diet.土豆是他们的主要食品。
8 remarkable
adj.显著的,异常的,非凡的,值得注意的
- She has made remarkable headway in her writing skills.她在写作技巧方面有了长足进步。
- These cars are remarkable for the quietness of their engines.这些汽车因发动机没有噪音而不同凡响。
标签:
创业