生活大爆炸第一季第十六集_2:The Peanut Reaction
时间:2018-12-06 作者:英语课 分类:生活大爆炸第一季
英语课
-Penny: So what'd you get the birthday boy?
你们给生日主角准备了什么?
-Howard:Well, Raj got him an awesome 1, limited edition Dark Knight 2 sculpture
awesome:棒极了 limited edition:限量版 Knight :骑士 sculpture:雕塑
Raj给他准备了一个非常棒的限量版暗夜骑士人形玩偶,
based on Alex Ross's definitive 3 Batman.
definitive:明确的
基于Alex Ross确认的蝙蝠侠形象 ( 以画超级英雄著称的美国漫画家)。
And I got him this amazing autographed copy
amazing:令人惊异的 autographed:亲笔签名的
我给他的是费曼物理讲义,
of The Feynman Lectures on Physics.
Feynman:费曼,美国物理学家,曾获得1965年诺贝尔物理学奖
是亲笔署名的,绝对令人惊喜。
-Penny: Nice. I got him a sweater.
sweater:毛衣
不错,我给他的是件毛衣。
-Howard:Okay, well, he might like that. I've seen him get chilly 4.
chilly:寒冷的
他可能会喜欢的,我看到他打过寒颤。
Sheldon, I didn't see your present.
Sheldon我还没看到你的礼物呢。
-Sheldon:That's because I didn't bring one.
因为我没准备。
-Penny: Why not?
为什么?
-Howard:Don't ask.
别问了。
-Sheldon:The entire institution of gift-giving makes no sense.
entire:全部的 institution:惯例,习俗
互赠礼物的机制根本毫无意义,
-Howard:Too late.
太晚了。
-Sheldon:Let's say I go out
假设我出去了,
and I spend $50 on you. It's a laborious 5 activity
laborious:费力的 activity:活动
然后为你花了50美元,这纯粹是费力的活动,
because I have to imagine what you need,
我还得考虑你需要什么,
whereas you know what you need.
whereas:但是,然而
然而只有你知道你需要什么。
Now, I could simplify things-- just give you the $50 directly,
simplify:简化 directly:直接地
那么我可以把事情简化... 直接给你那50美元。
and then you could give me $50
然后你会在我生日时给我50美元。
on my birthday, and so on, until one of us dies,
如此反复,直到我们中的一人死去。
leaving the other one old and $50 richer.
the other one:另一个
另一个老家伙就会比这人富有50美元。
And I ask you, is it worth it?
worth it:有必要
我问你这样有好处吗?
-Howard:Told you not to ask.
告诉你别问了。
-Penny:Sheldon ,You are his friend.
Sheldon你是他的朋友。
Friends give each other presents.
朋友之间会赠送礼物的。
-Sheldon:I accept your premise 6, I reject your conclusion.
premise:前提 reject:拒绝 conclusion:结论
我接受你的前提但拒绝接受你的结论。
-Howard:Try telling him it's a non-optional social convention.
non-optional:没有选择的 convention:习俗,惯例
告诉他这是不可选择的社会习俗。
-Penny:What?
什么?
-Howard:Just do it.
就这样说。
-Penny:It's a non-optional... social convention.
这是不可选择的... 社会习俗。
-Sheldon:Oh. Fair enough.
Fair enough:同意或接受但有所保留
噢,这理由可以接受。
He came with a manual.
manual:手册
他还有附送的使用手册。
-Sheldon:Question--
问题...
how am I going to get Leonard a present before the party?
我怎么才能赶在派对之前给Leonard买到礼物呢?
I don't drive and the only things available
available:可用的
我不会开车但是在步行范围内
within walking distance are a Thai restaurant and a gas station.
walking distance:步行距离 gas station:加油站
只有一间泰式餐馆和加油站。
I suppose I could wrap up an order of mee krob and a couple of lottery 7 scratchers.
suppose:猜想 wrap up:包裹 lottery:彩票 scratchers:刮刮卡
我想可以打包一份泰式米粉还有几张刮刮彩票。
-Penny:Okay let's do this--
好吧,行动吧...
I will drive Sheldon to get a present.
我开车带Sheldon去买礼物。
And Howard, you need to get rid of Leonard for about two hours.
get rid of:摆脱
Howard你把Leonard骗出去大概两个小时。
-Howard:No problem.
没问题。
-Penny:And then, Raj, you bring the stuff across the hall and start setting up.
stuff:东西 hall:走廊 setting up:准备,安排
然后Raj你把东西拿到对面可以开始布置了。
-Howard:What if guests show up?
客人来了怎么办?
-Penny:Entertain them.
Entertain:招待
招待他们。
-Howard:What if they're women?
如果是女客人呢?
-Penny:Stare at them and make them feel uncomfortable.
Stare at:盯着 uncomfortable:不舒服
盯着她们让她们觉得不舒服。
-Howard:Hey.
嘿。
-Leonard:Hey.
嘿。
-Howard:How's it going on?
怎么样啦?
-Leonard:Fine.
很好。
-Howard:So listen, the NuArt is showing the revised, definitive cut of Blade Runner.
revised:修改过的 cut:剪切
听好,NuArt影院正在上映最终修改版的"银翼杀手"。
-Leonard:Seen it.
看过了。
-Howard:No, you've seen the 25th Anniversary Final Cut.
Anniversary:周年纪念
不,你看过的是25周年的剪切版。
This one has eight seconds of previously 8 unseen footage.
previously:以前 unseen:看不到的 footage:电影片段
这次是含有8秒珍贵的未公开片段。
They say it completely changes the tone of the film.
tone:风格,腔调
他们说这将完全改变电影基调。
-Leonard:Uh... pass.
呃...算了。
-Howard:Come on.
不是吧。
Afterwards, there's a Q & A with Harrison Ford's body double.
Afterwards:然后 Q & A:访谈节目 body double:替身
然后还有哈里森?福特的替身访谈。
-Leonard:Look, I'm in the Halo battle of my life here.
Halo(图画中圣人头上的)光环,灵光 battle:战斗
你看,我还在"光晕"战争的紧要关头呢 ("光晕"XBOX著名的电脑游戏)。
There's this kid in Copenhagen-- he has no immune system,
Copenhagen:哥本哈根 immune system:免疫系统 immune:有免疫力的
这个哥本哈根的孩子... 他没有免疫系统,
so all he does is sit in his bubble and play Halo 24-seven.
bubble:泡影
所以他只好待在隔菌罩里7天24小时只能玩"光晕"。
-Howard:Can't you play him some other time?
你就不能改天跟他玩吗?
-Leonard:Not if you believe his doctors.
除非你不相信他医生的话。
-Howard:Oh, my God, do you smell gas?
噢,天,你闻到煤气味了吗?
-Leonard:No.
没有。
-Howard:Yeah, No.
对,没有。
-Penny:You know, they have DVDs over there.
那边有卖DVD的。
-Sheldon:Yes, but they have DVD burners over here.
burners:刻录机
没错,但是DVD刻录机在这里。
Leonard needs a DVD burner.
Leonard需要一台刻录机。
-Penny:Sheldon, a gift shouldn't be something someone needs,
Sheldon礼物并不应是对方需要的,
it should be something fun.
应该是些有趣的东西。
You know, something they wouldn't buy for themself.
你知道一些他们不会为自己买的。
-Sheldon:You mean like a sweater?
你是说比如毛衣?
-Penny:It's a fun sweater. It's got a bold geometric print.
bold:醒目的 geometric:几何的 print:图案
这是件有趣的毛衣,有很大的几何图案。
-Sheldon:Is it the geometry that makes it fun?
几何图案就很有趣?
-Penny:Okay...
好了...
The point is one of the ways we show we care about people
关键是通过礼物传递我们的关爱,
is by putting thought and imagination into the gifts we get them.
thought:关心 imagination:愿望
这些美好的愿望都包含在礼物里了。
-Sheldon:Okay, I see. So, not a DVD burner.
好的,我明白了,那就不买DVD刻录机了。
-Penny:Exactly.
没错。
-Sheldon:Something he wouldn't buy for himself. Something fun. Something like...
他不会给自己买的东西,有趣的东西,就像...
an 802-11N wireless 9 router!
wireless:无线电 router:路由器
802-11N无线路由器!
-Leonard:Here you go, Copenhagen boy.
Copenhagen:根本哈根
轮到你了,哥本哈根小孩。
How about a taste of Hans Christian 10 hand grenade?
Hans:德国人 hand grenade:手榴弹
尝尝德国手榴弹的滋味怎么样?
Oh, that could not feel good.
那一定很糟。
Come on, come... Oh, you clever...
来呀来... 你个聪明的...
Come on. Come on. Take that!
来啊来啊,看这个!
What's the matter?
怎么了?
-Howard:This granola bar, it has peanuts in it!
granola:格兰诺拉麦片(源出商标名)
甜麦棒上面有花生!
-Leonard:Oh, my God. Why did you eat it?
老天,你干嘛吃它?
-Howard:I don't know. It was just there!
我不知道,它就在那里的!
-Leonard:If I had a gun there, would you have shot yourself?
如果那里有把枪,你会朝自己开枪?
-Howard:Don't yell at me!
yell at:对…吼叫
别朝我嚷嚷!
I've got to go to the emergency room!
emergency room:急诊室
我要去急诊室!
-Leonard:Now?!
现在?!
-Howard:No, after my tongue has swollen 11 to the size of a brisket!
tongue:舌头 swollen:swell的过去分词,肿胀 brisket:(兽类的)胸肉
难道等到我的舌头肿成鸡胸肉!
-Leonard:All right, uh, just let me get my keys.
也对,我拿钥匙去。
Oh, God, oh, God, oh, God!
天啊,天啊!
The laundry is out of the hamper 12.
laundry:洗衣机 hamper:阻碍物
洗衣机已经腾空。
-Howard:Okay, Sheldon, what was it supposed to be?
好了,Sheldon你在说什么?
Fine. It's out of the washer!
washer:洗衣机
好吧,已经腾出洗衣机了!
I'll call you when it's in the dryer 13.
dryer:干衣机
等它进烘干机时我再给你电话。
-Leonard:All right, let's go.
好了,我们走。
-Sheldon:What do You think?
你觉得买哪个呢?
-Penny:Um, that one.
那个。
-Sheldon:Because of the two additional Ethernet ports?
additional:额外的 Ethernet:以太网 ports:端口
因为有两个额外的以太网端口?
-Penny:Sure.
是啊。
-Sheldon:He doesn't need them.
他不需要的。
He's already got a six-port Ethernet switch.
switch:转换器
他已有个6端口的以太网转换器了。
-Penny:Oh, okay, then this one.
那好,就这个。
-Sheldon:Why?
为什么?
-Penny:'I don''t know.'
我不知道。
The man on the box looks so happy.
盒子上那个人看起来多开心啊。
-Sheldon:Penny, if I'm going to buy Leonard a gift,
Penny如果我要给Leonard礼物
I'm going to do it right.
我就要挑对的。
I refuse to let him experience the same childhood trauma 14 I did.
refuse:拒绝 trauma:心灵创伤
我不想让他遭受跟我一样的童年创伤。
-Penny:I know I'm gonna regret this, but: What trauma?
gonna=going to regret:懊悔
我知道问了我会后悔,可是,是什么创伤?
-Sheldon:On my 12th birthday, I really wanted a titanium centrifuge
titanium:钛合金 centrifuge:离心机
我12岁生日时很想要一台钛合金的离心分离机,
so, you know, I could separate radioactive isotopes 16.
separate:分离 radioactive:放射性的 isotope 15:同位素
那我就可以分离放射性同位素了。
-Penny:Of course.
当然。
Instead of a titanium centrifuge, my parents bought me...
Instead of:用…代替…
但我父母没有给我钛合金分离机,而是...
Wow, this is hard.
真难说出口。
They got me
他们给我
a motorized.
motorized:摩托化的dirt bike:小型摩托车
一辆山地摩托车。
-Penny:No?
不是吧!
-Sheldon:What 12-year-old boy wants a motorized dirt bike?
哪个12岁男孩会想要山地摩托车?
1 awesome
adj.令人惊叹的,难得吓人的,很好的
- The church in Ireland has always exercised an awesome power.爱尔兰的教堂一直掌握着令人敬畏的权力。
- That new white convertible is totally awesome.那辆新的白色折篷汽车简直棒极了.
2 knight
n.骑士,武士;爵士
- He was made an honourary knight.他被授予荣誉爵士称号。
- A knight rode on his richly caparisoned steed.一个骑士骑在装饰华丽的马上。
3 definitive
adj.确切的,权威性的;最后的,决定性的
- This book is the definitive guide to world cuisine.这本书是世界美食的权威指南。
- No one has come up with a definitive answer as to why this should be so.至于为什么该这样,还没有人给出明确的答复。
4 chilly
adj.凉快的,寒冷的
- I feel chilly without a coat.我由于没有穿大衣而感到凉飕飕的。
- I grew chilly when the fire went out.炉火熄灭后,寒气逼人。
5 laborious
adj.吃力的,努力的,不流畅
- They had the laborious task of cutting down the huge tree.他们接受了伐大树的艰苦工作。
- Ants and bees are laborious insects.蚂蚁与蜜蜂是勤劳的昆虫。
6 premise
n.前提;v.提论,预述
- Let me premise my argument with a bit of history.让我引述一些史实作为我立论的前提。
- We can deduce a conclusion from the premise.我们可以从这个前提推出结论。
7 lottery
n.抽彩;碰运气的事,难于算计的事
- He won no less than £5000 in the lottery.他居然中了5000英镑的奖券。
- They thought themselves lucky in the lottery of life.他们认为自己是变幻莫测的人生中的幸运者。
8 previously
adv.以前,先前(地)
- The bicycle tyre blew out at a previously damaged point.自行车胎在以前损坏过的地方又爆开了。
- Let me digress for a moment and explain what had happened previously.让我岔开一会儿,解释原先发生了什么。
9 wireless
adj.无线的;n.无线电
- There are a lot of wireless links in a radio.收音机里有许多无线电线路。
- Wireless messages tell us that the ship was sinking.无线电报告知我们那艘船正在下沉。
10 Christian
adj.基督教徒的;n.基督教徒
- They always addressed each other by their Christian name.他们总是以教名互相称呼。
- His mother is a sincere Christian.他母亲是个虔诚的基督教徒。
11 swollen
adj.肿大的,水涨的;v.使变大,肿胀
- Her legs had got swollen from standing up all day.因为整天站着,她的双腿已经肿了。
- A mosquito had bitten her and her arm had swollen up.蚊子叮了她,她的手臂肿起来了。
12 hamper
vt.妨碍,束缚,限制;n.(有盖的)大篮子
- There are some apples in a picnic hamper.在野餐用的大篮子里有许多苹果。
- The emergence of such problems seriously hamper the development of enterprises.这些问题的出现严重阻碍了企业的发展。
13 dryer
n.干衣机,干燥剂
- He bought a dryer yesterday.他昨天买了一台干燥机。
- There is a washer and a dryer in the basement.地下室里有洗衣机和烘干机。
14 trauma
n.外伤,精神创伤
- Counselling is helping him work through this trauma.心理辅导正帮助他面对痛苦。
- The phobia may have its root in a childhood trauma.恐惧症可能源于童年时期的创伤。
标签:
生活大爆炸