流行口語 第161課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华打电话问 Larry,想不想到动物园去看看新的熊猫展览.今天李华会学到两个常用语: to putz around 和 worrywart。
LH: 嘿, Larry,你在做什么啊?忙不忙啊?
LL: Not really. I was just putzing around the apartment, cleaning up a little and putting some things away. Why? What do you have in mind?
LH: 哦~,你在家打扫,整理东西.你还在家干什么啦?什么是 putzing around?那是什么意思啊?
LL: To putz around is to behave idly, without anything very urgent 1 or important to do. I don't have anything special to do, so I'm just putzing around doing minor 2 things.
LH: To putz around 就是没有什么迫切或重要的事做,只是在家东晃晃、西摸摸.嘿!既然你没什么重要事做,要不要一块儿去动物园.我想去看看啊新来的熊猫。
LL: Sure. We can putz around the zoo and look at the animals. The weather is beautiful today, so it will be nice to go outside.
LH: 就是啊,今天天气这么好,待在家里太可惜了,还不如到动物园去逛逛,看看动物啊。
LL: Yeah, it's much better to putz around outside in the sunshine. It's so great to have time to relax.
LH: 没错.前一阵子啊我忙得连睡觉的时间都没有,更别说四处闲晃了.说实话,我还真喜欢闲逛呢, I like to putz around。
LL: When do you want to leave?
LH: 嗯~,你半个小时内能出门吗?我听说啊熊猫在下午的时候比较活跃,这时候去啊最有意思了!
LL: Sure. I'll meet you at the university gate in half an hour.
LH: 没问题!一会儿见!
………………………………………………………………
LH: Larry,快一点!我怕我们会错过这班公交车,太晚了我们就看不到熊猫了!
LL: Calm down, Li Hua. Don't be such a worrywart. We have plenty of time to catch the bus and the pandas aren't going anywhere.
LH: 嘿!你又说我什么了啊?什么是 worrywart?
LL: A worrywart, very simply, is a person who worries too much.
LH: A Worrywart,就是指一个人不是担心这个,就是担心那个,而这些都是一些微不足道的事情.那不就是我们中文里说的“杞人忧天”吗? Larry,我真的是这样的人吗?
LL: Sometimes, you can be a worrywart. For instance 3, you worry a lot about your grades.
LH: 可是,担心成绩不好.这很正常啊!很多人都会担心他们的成绩,学习成绩可不是什么微不足道的事呢!
LL: Most people worry about their grades, but you worry more than most people.
LH: 我比别人担心更多!我才不信呢.你自己不也老是担心工作,老是担心你的老板和同事对你印象不好啊。
LL: I don't worry too much about work! I have a healthy concern for what my boss and my co-workers think, but I don't think I'm a worrywart.
LH: 哦~,我担心就是过份.你担心就是正常的啊!你自己想想,你应该 8 点上班,可上星期啊你每天早上 5 点就起床,就怕迟到,这不是过份吗?
LL: Yeah, I guess that is a little extreme 4. I think I'll get more relaxed at work once I've gotten more settled 5 in. I'm still new.
LH: 我知道.你是刚到那家公司去工作,所以特别紧张.等到你习惯以后就会放松一些啰.得了,我们还是好好享受今天这么棒的天气,去看熊猫啰!
今天李华学到了两个常用语.第一个是: to putz around,这就是“四处闲晃,无所事事”的意思.另一个常用语是: worrywart,这是指“一个人担心个没完”,就像中文里所说的“杞人忧天”。
- He asked to see the manager for something urgent. 他有急事求见经理。
- A part of this urgent task was allotted to us. 这项紧急任务的一部分分给了我们。
- The young actor was given a minor part in the new play.年轻的男演员在这出新戏里被分派担任一个小角色。
- I gave him a minor share of my wealth.我把小部分财产给了他。
- Can you quote me a recent instance?你能给我举一个最近的例子吗?
- He's a greedy boy,yesterday,for instance,he ate all our biscuits!他是个贪吃的孩子――比如,他昨天把我们的饼干都吃了!
- She lived on the extreme edge of the forest.她住在森林的最边缘。
- His views are rather extreme.他的见解相当偏激。