流行美语 第115课 - Bling / Booze
时间:2019-02-06 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华在书店里看书。李华在看一本流行时装杂志。今天李华会学到两个常用语:bling和booze.
(Ambience sound in bookstore)
LL: I just found an interesting book on World War II. What are you reading, Li Hua?
LH: 我啊,我在看一本时装杂志,他们在批评茱莉亚罗勃兹,说她在奥斯卡颁奖典礼上,戴了太多的bling。Larry,什么是bling啊?
LL: Oh, that's a new word for really big, shiny 1 jewelry 2. Usually, a bling or a bling-bling is a piece of jewelry that has big diamonds.
LH: 噢!我懂了,bling就是指又大又亮的珠宝首饰,通常还镶有钻石的首饰。Larry, 你看,在这张照片里,茱莉亚罗勃兹戴了长长的钻石耳环,还有钻石项链,再加上大手镯。真的,太多bling-bling!
LL: Yeah, that is a lot of shiny jewelry, but I thought girls liked that sort of thing. Don't you wish you had a lot of bling?
LH: 我想是吧。哪个女人不喜欢亮晶晶的珠宝呢!不过我觉得,一次戴太多的珠宝好像有点过份。Larry,你说呢?
LL: I'm not the best person to ask for fashion advice. To me, all that bling is really just a bunch 3 of expensive rocks that don't do anything.
LH: 你说的没错啦。这些亮晶晶的珠宝,说穿了,还不就是些昂贵的石头。对了,Larry,bling除了用来形容首饰以外,我能不能把一件亮晶晶的礼服也说是bling呢?
LL: I haven't heard the word used that way. I think that bling only refers to jewelry.
LH: 原来,bling只能用来形容珠宝首饰。Larry 你看,这张照片里妮可基曼戴的戒指真漂亮。杂志说,这个戒指至少价值一百万美元呢!
LL: That has to be the biggest ring I have ever seen. I can't imagine spending a million dollars on a rock!
LH: 你们男人啊!永远也不会理解为什么女人要花这么多钱买珠宝首饰。这种事只有女人才懂啦!
******
LH: Larry, 这篇文章说"Booze on College Campuses 4." 大学校园里的booze!Booze是一种毒品吗?
LL: Booze is another word for alcohol 5, like beer or whiskey.
LH: 噢,原来booze在这里指的是酒啊!这篇文章说很多美国大学里都有学生酗酒的问题,不只危害学生的身体健康,有的时候还会导致意外。这是真的吗?
LL: Sadly, many college students drink a lot of booze. They study during the week and then they go to parties on the weekends. Booze is a major part of most college parties.
LH: 是呀!我也注意到了,很多美国大学生喜欢在周末开party,那总是少不了酒。对了,Larry,是不是所有的酒都可以称为booze?葡萄酒是不是也算booze?
LL: Yes, wine can be called booze, and so can rum and vodka.
LH: 噢,这么说,booze可以指葡萄酒,也可以指烈酒。Larry,你是不是也经常参加派对,喝酒狂欢啊?
LL: Very funny, Li Hua. You know I don't have enough time to go to many parties. I do drink booze once in a while, but not all the time.
LH: 嗯,偶尔喝一点酒其实还可以。我比较喜欢喝葡萄酒,其他的酒我就不感兴趣了。你呢?你喜欢什么样的酒?
LL: Well, I prefer to drink beer. Stronger booze will give me a headache the next day.
LH: 我也不爱喝烈酒,除了像你说的,喝多了会头疼,我觉得烈酒喝起来有汽油的味道。
LL:You might as well not to drink it!
今天李华学到两个常用语。第一个是bling,或者可以说bling-bling。这是指又大又亮的珠宝首饰。李华学到的另一个常用语是booze。这是指喝的酒,包括各式各样的酒。
- What shiny shoes you're wearing!你穿的鞋子擦得真亮啊!
- All the cups are clean and shiny.所有的杯子都很干净明亮。
- The burglars walked off with all my jewelry.夜盗偷走了我的全部珠宝。
- Jewelry and lace are mostly feminine belongings.珠宝和花边多数是女性用品。
- A bunch of girls was[were] sitting on the grass.一群女孩坐在草地上。
- I received a bunch of flowers yesterday.昨天我收到了一束鲜花。
- University campuses are often the bellwether of change. 大学校园往往引领变革的新潮。
- Sport looms much larger on US campuses than in China. 体育在美国大学比中国大学突出得多。 来自互联网