流行美语 (Popular American) 282
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry早上起来正在看报纸,忽然接到小燕的电话。今天我们要学两个常用语:short fuse 1和out of this world.
LL: Hello?
XY: Hey Larry! 你起床了?昨天玩到那么晚,我不会把你吵醒了吧!
LL: Hey no problem. I was just reading the newspaper and drinking a lot of water. I have quite a headache. I can't believe you bought so many beers for me last night!
XY: 我愿意!昨天我可能也喝多了点,当着你的面跟酒吧里的服务生吵架,真不好意思,对不起了。
LL: Well, Xiaoyan, it's not really a problem at all. I mean, you tend to have a short fuse anyway.
XY: Short fuse这是什么意思啊?你每次都说这些我听不懂的话,真是急死我了。
LL: There's a perfect example! When a person has a "short fuse," it means that they have a short temper 2 - they get angry very easily! Now don't get mad because I said this, or you will further prove my point - haha!
XY: 噢,你是说我急脾气啊。这我承认。不过,我更愿意听人家说我是一个“充满激情”的女人。
LL: Having a short fuse can be a good thing, sometimes, but most of the time, I must admit that it can be a bit intimidating 3 or scary. It's why I try my best to keep you from blowing your fuse - or erupting in anger. It's ok, my new boss is like this - and I can handle it.
XY: 你真觉得我的脾气有些吓人吗?那我一定改正。对了,你下午有空吗?我请你吃午饭,而且还有新车接送。不是我吹,买车的时候讨价还价,我可是镇定自若,没发脾气。I did not blow my fuse!
LL: I'm impressed, Xiaoyan! Number one, you have a new car. Number two, you didn't blow your fuse! So what time were you thinking, since you have the car?
XY: 下午一点怎么样?这样你还有时间“梳妆打扮”,以帅哥的形象出现在我的面前。(笑)
LL: Ok. Do you need directions?
XY: 不用,我有全球定位系统。我保证,就算走丢了,我也不会打电话跟你发脾气。
LL: OK, just call me if there's a problem!
******
LL: Wow. Nice car! You must have saved your tip money for YEARS to get such a nice one....
XY: 勤俭节约可是我最大的优点。
LL: Since you're driving, I'll pick the joint 4 we'll go to. There's a diner just down the street that's good.
XY: 这家餐馆从外面看起来好象不错,我们进去吧。
LL: So here's the menu. Their sandwiches are absolutely out of this world.
XY: out of this world? 你吃他们的外星三明治吧。我只要个色拉就行了。Larry, 有的时候,我真怀疑你是不是有点疯狂,也许这就是你吸引人.....
LL: Xiaoyan. "Out of this world" means really, really good. Excellent. Superb 5. Delicious. The best.
XY: 哦,out of this world意思是好吃得不得了,简直非人间食物。那我可得来一个。既然你对吃的东西这么在行,我能不能说你的品味也是"out of this world" 呢?
LL: Ha ha. Yeah, but you're the first person to ever tell me that!
XY: 真的吗?那我再告诉你个秘密:我觉得你这个人也不是一般男人能比的: You are out of this world!
LL: Um... (embarrassed) hey hey... now, anyway, with the sandwiches...
XY: 服务生!给我们来两个你们这儿最好的三明治,外加两杯咖啡。希望你们的咖啡也是香浓美味, out of this world!
LL: So, Xiaoyan, I wanted to tell you something...
XY: 你先听我说,我有个绝妙的主意,就是不知道你明天晚上是不是有空?
LL: That depends, Xiayan, because...
XY: 我想带你去见我父母。他们在这里的侨界非常活跃,我想让他们认识一下你。
LL: Are you sure this is a good idea?
XY: (严肃地)当然是个好主意喽!怎么会不是好主意呢?
LL: Well, perhaps they'd get the wrong impression. Perhaps I'm getting the wrong impression from you, too.
XY: 误解?不会有什么误解的。怎么样,星期天下午五点我开车来接你。咱们就这么定了。
LL: (Reluctantly) Ok, Xiaoyan. I must admit - your powers of persuasion 6 are out of this world, as well.
XY: 没错,我最能说服人了,你就听我一次吧!
我们今天学习了两个常用语。一个是short fuse, 意思是急脾气。另一个是out of this world, 意思是极其美妙。
- The metal will fuse at a relatively low temperature.这金属在不太高的温度下熔化。
- This is the right fuse for the refrigerator.这是电冰箱上使用的保险丝。
- The man lost his temper and struck out wildly.那人因发怒而大打出手。
- One day the man flew at me in a temper.一天,那个人冲着我大发脾气。
- They were accused of intimidating people into voting for them. 他们被控胁迫选民投他们的票。
- This kind of questioning can be very intimidating to children. 这种问话的方式可能让孩子们非常害怕。
- I had a bad fall,which put my shoulder out of joint.我重重地摔了一跤,肩膀脫臼了。
- We wrote a letter in joint names.我们联名写了封信。
- The large bay has a superb backdrop of mountains.大海湾背靠着庄严的山脉。
- The hotel has a large dining room serving superb local cuisine.饭店有一个大餐厅供应上好的当地菜肴。
- He decided to leave only after much persuasion.经过多方劝说,他才决定离开。
- After a lot of persuasion,she agreed to go.经过多次劝说后,她同意去了。