流行美语 (Popular American) 345
时间:2019-01-15 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry陪李华去买电脑。今天我们要学两个常用语:do the trick和a grain of salt.
LH: Larry, 你觉得我应该买PC还是苹果?
LL: Well, I'm not a computer expert, but I think Macs are a lot more user 1 friendly.
LH: 我也老听人说苹果机怎么怎么好,可是我从没用过苹果,而且PC价格也比较便宜。
LL: Well, they are both really good computers. I think either one would do the trick.
LH: Do the trick? Larry, 我买电脑是查资料,学论文用的,可不是为了玩游戏。
LL: Actually Lihua, when you say that something does the trick, that means that it will be successful, or good enough.
LH: 哦,do the trick就是足以达到预期效果的意思。你是说不论PC还是苹果,都够我用的了。
LL: Right! Here's another example. Joe doesn't need to live in a big house. Since he lives by himself, a small apartment will do the trick.
LH: 我明白。这句话意思是,Joe反正是一个人过,有个小公寓就够了,用不着住大房子。那 Larry, 你说我们去哪家店买电脑呢?
LL: Well we could go to a big computer store, but the Internet will do the trick too. You can order your computer online.
LH: 上网定购?不好,不好,要不,咱们上苹果专卖店去转转,我去玩玩苹果机,你也可以看看是不是买个iPhone.
LL: That's OK. I don't need a lot of fancy 2 features on my phone. My simple old cell phone still does the trick.
LH: 老实说,你那手机再不换,就要变成古董了。你上星期不是说不好用了吗?
LL: Actually, just the battery broke. But I went to the store and got a new battery, which did the trick.
LH: 所以你就换了块电池准备接着用?我真服了你,省钱固然没错,可也不能太落伍呀!现在的新手机上什么功能都有,你就不想要?
LL: Who needs all this technology? When I want to be entertained, reading a book always does the trick.
LH: 对了,苹果公司新推出的iPad, 就有读电子书的功能,要不你买个iPad吧!
LL: As far as I'm concerned, Lihua, old-fashioned 3 paper books still do the trick.
******
Larry和李华来到百思买看电脑。
LH: 嗨Larry! 你觉得这台电脑怎么样?我需要的功能上面都有,价钱也还可以,只要2000块。
LL: Two thousand dollars? That sounds pretty expensive to me. Are you sure it's worth it to buy such an expensive computer?
LH: 当然值了,你没听刚才那个店员说么,这是他最喜欢的一款电脑,强力推荐。
LL: Well, the salesperson 4 always wants you to buy the most expensive item, so I would take what he says with a grain of salt.
LH: A grain of salt? 加撮盐?你什么意思啊?
LL: When you slightly doubt something you are told, you can say that you take it with a grain of salt.
LH: 哦,with a grain of salt意思就是有所保留,半信半疑。你是说店员总想把贵的商品推销给顾客,所以他的话不能全信?
LL: Right. Here is another example. Emily always exaggerates 5 about her talents, so when she told me she is fluent in Japanese, I took it with a grain of salt.
LH: 没错,Emily总喜欢夸大其词,所以她的话不能全信。
LL: So Lihua, what are the features that make this computer so good?
LH: 产品介绍上说,这款电脑的电池可以连续用15个小时,是市场上其他电脑的两倍。
LL: You know, companies often make exaggerated 6 claims about their products, so I would take that with a grain of salt.
LH: 可是我朋友Tammy买的就是这个牌子的电脑,说特别好。
LL: But Lihua, Tammy only uses computer to check emails. I would take her opinion on computers with a grain of salt.
LH: 可你也不是高科技专家啊,就看你那只老古董的手机就知道了。
LL: That's true. I don't know much about technology, so I would take all my advice with a grain of salt.
LH: 别担心,你对手机、电脑这类高科技产品的建议,我总是反着听的,只要是你说不买的东西,买了一定没错。
LL: Haha... very funny....
今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是 do the trick, 意思是足以达到预期效果。另一个是 a grain of salt, 意思是有所保留。
- The company is the biggest user of oil.该公司是最大的石油用户。
- The umbrella keeps the rains off the user.雨伞使撑伞人免受雨淋。
- He seemed to have taken quite a fancy to her.他似乎相当喜欢她。
- I have a fancy that it's going to rain.我想大概要下雨。
- Why do you still dress in an old-fashioned mode?你为什么还穿款式陈旧的衣服?
- Here is an old-fashioned pump for drawing water from a well.这里有一个旧式水泵可从井里抽水。
- A salesperson works in a shop.售货员在商店工作。
- Vanessa is a salesperson in a woman's wear department.凡妮莎是女装部的售货员。
- I think he exaggerates the parallelism between the two cases. 我认为他夸大了两件事的相似之处。
- People will not believe a man who always exaggerates. 人们不会相信老是夸大其词的人。
- Inevitably, the press exaggerated the story. 新闻界照例又夸大了这件事。
- His claims to an intimacy with the President are somewhat exaggerated. 他声称自己与总统关系密切,这有点言过其实。