向前一步:第149期 让你的另一半成为你真正的人生搭档(7)
英语课
But even if mothers are more naturally inclined toward nurturing 1, fathers can match that skill with knowledge and effort. 但即使母亲和孩子之间有着更自然的联系,父亲也可以通过学习育儿知识并付出努力来获得与母亲不相上下的育儿技能。
If women want to succeed more at work and if men want to succeed more at home, these expectations have to be challenged. 如果女性更想在事业上大展拳脚,而她的另一半更想成为优秀的家庭主男,那么传统观点就必然会遭到挑战。
As Gloria Steinem once observed, "It's not about biology, but about consciousness." 正如格洛丽亚·斯泰纳姆评论的:“这不是生物学问题,而是意识问题。”
We overcome biology with consciousness in other areas. 我们已经在用意识克服自身的生物性。
For example, storing large amounts of fat was necessary to survive when food was scarce, 比如,在食物匮乏时存储大量脂肪是生存的必要条件,
so we evolved to crave 2 it and consume it when it's available. 所以我们会不断摄取并消耗脂肪。
But in this era of plenty, we no longer need large amounts of fuel in reserve, 但在这个物质充裕的时代,我们的身体不再需要过分储备“燃料”,
so instead of simply giving in to this inclination 3, we exercise and limit caloric intake 4. 而是需要通过锻炼身体以限制热量的摄取。
We use willpower to combat biology, or at least we try. 我们正在用意志力来对抗生物性,至少我们在努力尝试。
So even if "mother knows best" is rooted in biology, it need not be written in stone. 所以,就算“妈妈最明白孩子需要什么”这种说法具有最根深蒂固的生物学基础,
A willing mother and a willing father are all it requires. 但只要父母双方愿意,这也不是不可改变的。
Yes, someone needs to remember what goes into the lunch box, but as Katie will attest 5, it does not have to be Mom. 是的,必须有一个人记得午餐盒里应该放什么,但并不一定必须是母亲,凯蒂便是证明。
As women must be more empowered at work, men must be more empowered at home. 当女性需要在工作上发愤图强时,男性就需要在家里发挥更大的作用。
I have seen so many women inadvertently discourage their husbands from doing their share by being too controlling or critical. 我看过很多女人由于太有控制欲或过于挑剔,结果无意中打击了男人分担家务的积极性。
Social scientists call this "maternal 6 gatekeeping," which is a fancy term for "Ohmigod, that's not the way you do it! Just move aside and let me!" 社会科学家把这种现象称为“固守母职”,意思就是:“天哪,你这样做不对,放着我来!”
养育( nurture的现在分词 ); 培育; 滋长; 助长
- These delicate plants need careful nurturing. 这些幼嫩的植物需要精心培育。
- The modern conservatory is not an environment for nurturing plants. 这个现代化温室的环境不适合培育植物。
vt.渴望得到,迫切需要,恳求,请求
- Many young children crave attention.许多小孩子渴望得到关心。
- You may be craving for some fresh air.你可能很想呼吸呼吸新鲜空气。
n.倾斜;点头;弯腰;斜坡;倾度;倾向;爱好
- She greeted us with a slight inclination of the head.她微微点头向我们致意。
- I did not feel the slightest inclination to hurry.我没有丝毫着急的意思。
n.吸入,纳入;进气口,入口
- Reduce your salt intake.减少盐的摄入量。
- There was a horrified intake of breath from every child.所有的孩子都害怕地倒抽了一口凉气。
vt.证明,证实;表明
- I can attest to the absolute truth of his statement. 我可以证实他的话是千真万确的。
- These ruins sufficiently attest the former grandeur of the place. 这些遗迹充分证明此处昔日的宏伟。
标签:
向前一步