你真会小题大做
SCENE③ B 当天晚上,下课后 柔丝家
【你真会小题大做】
Rose: (1) embarrassed) Tell you more about what?
柔丝: (不好意思)要再跟你说什么?
Sue: About Herbert! You said he was boring.
苏: 赫伯特啊!你说过他很无趣的。
Rose: Yes, that's what I thought before.
柔丝: 是啊,我以前是这么觉得。
Sue: So, are you saying you 2) kind of like him?
苏: 所以你是说,你现在有点喜欢他罗?
Rose: You 3) blow everything out of proportion 1.
柔丝: 你真会小题大做。
Sue: So why is he 4) all of a sudden 2 not so boring?
苏: 那他为什么突然不无趣了?
Rose: We have a lot 5) in common.
柔丝: 我们有许多共通点。
Sue: Since when?
苏: 从哪时候开始有共通点了?
语言详解
A: Would you ever consider marrying me?
你有没有可能考虑跟我结婚?
B: No. We have absolutely nothing in common.
没有。我们完全没有共通点。
【to blow something out of proportion 言过其实,小题大做】
out of proportion是“大到不成比例”blow是“吹”的意思,在美语中有“吹牛”的意思。
A: I can't believe you ignored me like that!
我不敢相信你会这样躲避我!
B: I couldn't take your call. Don't blow it out of proportion.
我只是没办法接你的电话。别夸大其词了。
A: She said I was cute. She thinks I'm too short and childlike!
她说我很可爱。她是认为我太矮而且太孩子气!
B: You blew her comment out of proportion.
你把她的说法讲得太夸张了。
1) embarrassed (a.) 感到尴尬的
2) kind of 有一点,有几分
3) blow... out of proportion (v.) 夸大其词。proportion 是“比例” 。
4) all of a sudden 突然间
5) in common 共同
- His head is out of proportion to the size of his body.他的头部与身体大小不成比例。
- The proportion of imports to exports is worrying the government.进口与出口的比例令政府担忧。