TED演讲:别对我撒谎(4)
时间:2018-12-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
And we all kind of hate to admit it. 我们都不愿承认。
You know, we kind of wish we were better husbands, better wives, smarter, more powerful, taller, richer -- the list goes on. 我们希望自己能成为更好的丈夫,更好的妻子,变得更聪明,更有权力,更高,更富有,诸如此类。
Lying is an attempt to bridge that gap, to connect our wishes and our fantasies about who we wish we were, how we wish we could be, with what we're really like. 欺骗是人们试图在现实与愿望之间架起桥梁,把我们理想中的自己与理想中的生活,种种心愿和幻想与现实中的自己联系起来。
And boy are we willing to fill in those gaps in our lives with lies. 天啊,难道我们要用谎言来填补现实与幻想之间的差距吗。
On a given day, studies show that you may be lied to anywhere from 10 to 200 times. 研究表明在每一天,你被欺骗的次数,从10次到200次不等。
Now granted, many of those are white lies. 的确,这其中有许多是善意的谎言。
But in another study, it showed that strangers lied three times within the first 10 minutes of meeting each other. 而另一项研究显示陌生人见面后的前十分钟内说谎的次数为三次。
Now when we first hear this data, we recoil 1. 头一次听到这个数据,我们不免心寒。
We can't believe how prevalent lying is. We're essentially 2 against lying. 我们不敢相信人们说谎竟如此频繁。我们本质上与说谎对立。
But if you look more closely, the plot actually thickens. 但如果你细看,情况可没那么简单。
We lie more to strangers than we lie to coworkers. Extroverts 3 lie more than introverts 4. 我们对陌生人说谎的次数比对同事说谎的次数要多。外向的人比内向的人说谎次数多。
Men lie eight times more about themselves than they do other people. 男性关于自己的谎言比关于别人的谎言多出了八倍。
Women lie more to protect other people. If you're an average married couple, you're going to lie to your spouse 5 in one out of every 10 interactions. 女性说谎往往是为了保护他人,如果你们是一对普通夫妻,那么你对自己的配偶每交流10次就有一次在说谎。
Now, you may think that's bad. If you're unmarried, that number drops to three. 你可能觉得这很不好。如果你未婚,那么每交流3次就有一次在说谎。
1 recoil
vi.退却,退缩,畏缩
- Most people would recoil at the sight of the snake.许多人看见蛇都会向后退缩。
- Revenge may recoil upon the person who takes it.报复者常会受到报应。
2 essentially
adv.本质上,实质上,基本上
- Really great men are essentially modest.真正的伟人大都很谦虚。
- She is an essentially selfish person.她本质上是个自私自利的人。
3 extroverts
性格外向的人( extrovert的名词复数 ); 活跃、愉快、爱交际的人
- In the second half, the students were criticized. Extroverts were unfazed. 在后半部分,举不动时学生要受批评,外向性格的学生表现出不满。 来自英汉非文学 - 生命科学 - 大脑与疾病
- Extroverts prefer lively conversation to brooding on the meaning of life. 性格外向的人喜欢高谈阔论,而不愿思索人生的意义。
4 introverts
性格内向的人( introvert的名词复数 )
- Extroverts tend to lack self-discipline while introverts lack courage. 性格外向的人缺乏自我约束力,而性格内向的人则缺乏勇气。
- I an introvert and introverts get drawn in. 我是个内向的人而且内向是天生的。
标签:
TED演讲