TED演讲:内向性格的力量(2)
时间:2019-03-04 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
But the first time that I took my book out of my suitcase, the coolest girl in the bunk 1 came up to me and she asked me, 但是当我第一次把书从行李箱中拿出来的时候,床铺中最酷的那个女孩向我走了过来,并且她问我:
"Why are you being so mellow 2?" -- mellow, of course, being the exact opposite of R-O-W-D-I-E. “为什么你要这么安静?”安静,当然,是R-O-W-D-I-E的反义词,“喧闹”的反义词。
And then the second time I tried it, the counselor 3 came up to me with a concerned expression on her face 而当我第二次拿书的时候,我们的顾问满脸忧虑的向我走了过来,
and she repeated the point about camp spirit and said we should all work very hard to be outgoing. 接着她重复了关于“露营精神”的要点,并且说我们都应当努力去变得外向些。
And so I put my books away, back in their suitcase, and I put them under my bed, and there they stayed for the rest of the summer. 于是我放好我的书,放回了属于它们的行李箱中,并且我把它们放到了床底下,在那里它们度过了暑假余下的每一天。
And I felt kind of guilty about this. 我对这样做感到很愧疚。
I felt as if the books needed me somehow, and they were calling out to me and I was forsaking 4 them. 不知为什么我感觉这些书是需要我的,它们在呼唤我,但是我却放弃了它们。
But I did forsake 5 them and I didn't open that suitcase again until I was back home with my family at the end of the summer. 我确实放下了它们,并且我再也没有打开那个箱子,直到我和我的家人一起回到家中,在夏末的时候。
Now, I tell you this story about summer camp. I could have told you 50 others just like it 现在,我向你们讲述这个夏令营的故事。我完全可以给你们讲出其他50种版本就像这个一样的故事
all the times that I got the message that somehow my quiet and introverted style of being was not necessarily the right way to go, 每当我感觉到这样的时候,它告诉我出于某种原因,我的宁静和内向的风格并不是正确道路上的必需品,
that I should be trying to pass as more of an extrovert 6. 我应该更多地尝试一个外向者的角色。
And I always sensed deep down that this was wrong and that introverts 7 were pretty excellent just as they were. 而在我内心深处感觉得到这是错误的,内向的人们都是非常优秀的,确实是这样。
But for years I denied this intuition, and so I became a Wall Street lawyer, 但是许多年来我都否认了这种直觉,于是我首先成为了华尔街的一名律师,
of all things, instead of the writer that I had always longed to be 而不是我长久以来想要成为的一名作家,
partly because I needed to prove to myself that I could be bold and assertive 8 too. 一部分原因是因为我想要证明自己也可以变得勇敢而坚定。
And I was always going off to crowded bars when I really would have preferred to just have a nice dinner with friends. 并且当我只是想要和朋友们吃一顿愉快的晚餐时,我总是去那些拥挤的酒吧。
And I made these self-negating choices so reflexively, that I wasn't even aware that I was making them. 我做出了这些自我否认的抉择,如条件反射一般,甚至我都不清楚我做出了这些决定。
n.(车、船等倚壁而设的)铺位;废话
- He left his bunk and went up on deck again.他离开自己的铺位再次走到甲板上。
- Most economists think his theories are sheer bunk.大多数经济学家认为他的理论纯属胡说。
adj.柔和的;熟透的;v.变柔和;(使)成熟
- These apples are mellow at this time of year.每年这时节,苹果就熟透了。
- The colours become mellow as the sun went down.当太阳落山时,色彩变得柔和了。
n.顾问,法律顾问
- The counselor gave us some disinterested advice.顾问给了我们一些无私的忠告。
- Chinese commercial counselor's office in foreign countries.中国驻国外商务参赞处。
放弃( forsake的现在分词 ); 弃绝; 抛弃; 摒弃
- I will not be cowed into forsaking my beliefs. 我不会因为被恐吓而放弃自己的信仰。
- At fourteen he ran away, forsaking his home and friends. 他十四岁出走,离开了家乡和朋友。
vt.遗弃,抛弃;舍弃,放弃
- She pleaded with her husband not to forsake her.她恳求丈夫不要抛弃她。
- You must forsake your bad habits.你必须革除你的坏习惯。
n.性格外向的人
- A good salesman is usually an extrovert,who likes to mingle with people.一个好的推销员通常很外向,喜欢和人们交往。
- Do you think you're an extrovert or introvert?你认为你是个性外向的人还是个性内向的人?
性格内向的人( introvert的名词复数 )
- Extroverts tend to lack self-discipline while introverts lack courage. 性格外向的人缺乏自我约束力,而性格内向的人则缺乏勇气。
- I an introvert and introverts get drawn in. 我是个内向的人而且内向是天生的。
标签:
TED演讲