欧美人文风情第383篇:孩子的心声
时间:2019-03-03 作者:英语课 分类:欧美人文风情
英语课
I'm 13, in the eighth grade. And starting around fourth or fifth grade when the work started getting harder—quote, unquote—was when I was labeled a smart kid. 我 13 岁,就读八年级。差不多在三、四年级的时候,大家都说课业开始变得越来越难,而我在那时被贴上了聪明小孩的标签。
I guess meaning I was better and faster at finishing work? And let's just say I hate it. 我猜那是指我比较厉害、可以比较快完成作业?这样说好了,我讨厌这个标签。
Number one: When you're labeled a smart kid, you're expected to do the things no one else wants to do. 第一点:当你被贴上聪明小孩的标签,大家就期望你要做其他人不想做的事情。
For example, if the teacher says, "Oh, who's a good reader?" "Oh, who can answer this problem?" 举例来说,如果老师说:“噢,谁很会读课文?”、“噢,谁可以回答这个问题?”,
and no one wanting to do it, your name is probably gonna get called. And not by teachers, just the students. 而没人想回答,你的名字就很有可能被叫到。不是被老师叫到,是只有同学叫你。
"Oh, make Jade 1 do it." "Oh, make this person do it." "Oh, make that person do that." "Oh, this person can do it." “噢,让 Jade 做吧。”、“噢,让这个人做。”、“噢,让那个人做那题。”、“噢,这个人可以回答。”
Like, if I don't wanna do it, I don't wanna do it, so don't make me do it. 我是说,如果我不想做这题,我就是不想做,所以不要逼我。
Number two: Cheating 第二点:作弊
Now, I'm not...no angel, goddess, but I think it's really annoying when I'm trying to finish my work, and someone is, like, 我不是...我并非什么天使、还是女神,但我觉得这种状况很烦,就是当我试着要完成我的作业,而有人一直在说:
"Hey, hey, what's...what's the answers? What are we doing?" "Hey, I...I need to cheat. I need to cheat. What..." “嘿、嘿,答案是什么?我们在干嘛?”、“嘿,我...我需要作弊一下。我需要作弊。什么...”
Like, dude, chill 2 out. I mean we have a due date. It's not like you have to finish it right at that second, so calm down. 拜托,老兄,不要紧张好吗。我的意思是我们有作业期限。并不是要你当下就要完成作业,所以冷静一点吧。
Number three: Expectation 第三点:期望
Now, an expectation as a smart kid is pretty tricky 3 because you're expected to learn and know everything. 寄予在聪明小孩身上的期望相当难应付,因为大家都预期你要学会且知道所有事情。
For example, just about a week ago, I was working with my partner, and we had to do stations. 举例来说,就在大概一星期以前,我跟我的同伴一组,我们要完成作业关卡。
So, basically 4, once you finish, like, one station, you move on to the next station. And me and my partner, we were on station three. 基本上就是你完成一个关卡的指示之后,你就继续往下到下一个关卡。我跟我的同伴那时候在第三个关卡。
And one of the boys were on, like, station five or something, so they were ahead of us. 男生里有一个人在,应该是,第五关还是哪里,所以他们进度比我们快。
And one of the boys were, like, "Wow, I thought she was smarter than that." 其中一个男生就说:“哇,我以为她程度不只是那样。”
Bruh. Seriously? What the hell 5 is that supposed to mean: You thought I was smarter than that? 额。你跟我开玩笑吗?那是什么意思:你觉得我程度不只是那样?
What is "that?" And what makes you think I am a genius, okay? “那样”是怎样?又是哪个地方让你觉得我是一个天才,请问?
And number four: Born a baby genius 第四点:一出生就是天才。
I don't like it when people think that just because I'm smart, I don't work hard. 我不喜欢有人觉得我很聪明,我就不努力。
And I just hate it when people are, like, "You're smart, so you obviously 6 would get a hundred percent." 我就是很讨厌人们说:“你很聪明,所以你一定可以拿一百分。”
People act like I don't work hard for things, that I don't try to strive 7 for straight As. 人们表现得好像我不用为事情付出努力,我也不用为了成绩单上全部的 A 努力。
Like, do you know how much pressure I put on myself? I put more pressure on myself than my parents do. Juh. Bruh. 我是说,你知道我给自己多少压力吗?我给自己的压力比我父母给我的压力还要大。啧。懂不懂。
So, when you label someone as a smart kid, just remember they are trying their hardest, too. So, just remember that. 当你把某人贴上聪明小孩的标签的时候,只要记得他们也在尽他们最大的努力就好。只要记得那一点就好。
n.玉石;碧玉;翡翠
- The statue was carved out of jade.这座塑像是玉雕的。
- He presented us with a couple of jade lions.他送给我们一对玉狮子。
vt.使变冷,使冷却,使沮丧;n.寒冷,风寒
- With the chill factor,it's nearly minus forty here.加上风寒指数,气温接近零下40度。
- The bad news cast a chill over the whole family.这坏消息使全家人感到沮丧。
adj.狡猾的,奸诈的;(工作等)棘手的,微妙的
- I'm in a rather tricky position.Can you help me out?我的处境很棘手,你能帮我吗?
- He avoided this tricky question and talked in generalities.他回避了这个非常微妙的问题,只做了个笼统的表述。
adv.基本上,从根本上说
- His heart is basically sound.他的心脏基本上健康。
- Basically I agree with your plan.我基本上同意你的计划。
n.地狱,阴间;用以咒骂或表示愤怒,不满
- It's a hell of a hike from Sydney to Perth.从悉尼到珀斯的徒步旅行简直苦死了。
- The boss really gave me hell today.老板今天着实数落了我一通。
adv.显然;明白地
- Obviously they were putting him to a severe test.显然他们是在给他以严峻的考验。
- Obviously he was lying.显然他是在撒谎。
标签:
人文风情