流行美語 第190課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华正在一家洗衣店里洗衣服。今天李华会学到两个常用语:whoa和booboo。
LL: Whoa, Li Hua, don't put so much detergent 1 into the washing machine!
LH: 我放太多洗衣粉啦?那下回我就少放一些。对了,Larry,你刚才说whoa,那是西部牛仔经常说的话吗?你刚才说whoa是什么意思呀?
LL: Li Hua, have you been watching Westerns lately? You are right. Cowboys say "whoa" when they want their horses to slow down.
LH: 原来我还真猜对了。在西部电影里,那些牛仔经常会说whoa,就是要他们的马儿慢下来。所以你刚才说whoa,就是要我慢点,别倒太多洗衣粉下去。
LL: Right. Whoa, Li Hua, look at all the laundry that guy just brought in!
LH: 等等,Larry,那个人是拿了一大包脏衣服进来,你说whoa是要他慢慢洗吗? 你又不认识他,跟你又有什么相干哪!
LL: No, this time I used "whoa" to express amazement 2. I was amazed at the piles of laundry that guy just brought it. "Whoa" is an exclamation 3 and depending on how you say it, it can mean different things.
LH: 噢,这儿的whoa 是表示惊奇。你说了两次whao, 可是意思完全不一样。看来,这个whao 可以表达不同的意思。
LL:You're absolutely right!
LH:Whoa, Larry,你没有必要摺衣服摺那么快嘛!我们还有很多衣服要洗,得在这儿等上好长时间呢!
LL: Hey, that was a good use of "whoa."
LH: 还是得谢谢你这位老师的指导啊!Whoa, Larry,你看到那个人换了多少硬币要来洗衣服啊?
LL: The guy with all the laundry? He's going to need a lot of quarters to do all of that laundry. Oh, hey, my next load of laundry is done. Let me take it out.
LH: Whoa, Larry, 你的白衬衫怎么全变成粉红色啦?
LL: I think you've mastered the use of "whoa," Li Hua.
LH: Whoa, Larry, 我不过是用你刚教的常用语开开玩笑嘛。不过,你的白衬衣是变成粉红色啦!
******
LL: Oh, boy, Li Hua, I made a big booboo.
LH: 你做了什么?A booboo?
LL: Yeah, a booboo means a big mistake! I left a red sock in with my white t-shirts and underwear. Now everything is pink.
LH: Booboo就是犯了个大错误。原来你把一只红袜子丢进去和白衬衫一块洗,怪不得现在它们都成了粉红衬衫了。没关系啦,Larry,犯错误的人多着呐,我昨天也犯了个大错 - a booboo。
LL: What was that?
LH: 我啊,把钱包和钥匙放在厨房的桌子上,走出家才想起来,所以就把钥匙给锁在家里了。
LL: That was a booboo, all right. How did you fix your booboo?
LH: 还能怎么办,只好请锁匠来开门。当然啦,就是得花钱,破财消灾喽!Larry,我来帮你把这些粉红衬衫放到烘干机里吧!
LL: Thanks. Hey, Li Hua, do you see that kid over there with the booboo on his knee?
LH: The kid with a booboo on his knee? 你是说坐在那儿,那个膝盖上贴绷带的小孩啊?
LL: Yeah, I saw him fall down earlier and get a booboo. He just scraped his knee a little. He cried, but his mom cheered him up.
LH: 噢,你看到他摔下来,膝盖受了伤啊?等等,Larry,这么说,booboo除了指错误,也可以指受伤,对吗?
LL: Right, but not a serious injury. . . Oh, Li Hua, watch out for the door of the dryer 4!
LH: Ow! 好痛噢, 我的手指给烘干机的门夹到了。
LL: Oh, let me see. Look, you've got a booboo, too!
今天李华学到两个常用语。第一个是whoa,这个词有几种意思,它可以指“嘿,慢点”。也可以表示“很惊奇”。李华学到的另一个常用语就是:booboo。Booboo也有两种意思。一个是指错误,另外也可以指受伤。
- He recommended a new detergent to me.他向我推荐一种新的洗涤剂。
- This detergent can remove stubborn stains.这种去污剂能去除难洗的污渍。
- All those around him looked at him with amazement.周围的人都对他投射出惊异的眼光。
- He looked at me in blank amazement.他带着迷茫惊诧的神情望着我。
- He could not restrain an exclamation of approval.他禁不住喝一声采。
- The author used three exclamation marks at the end of the last sentence to wake up the readers.作者在文章的最后一句连用了三个惊叹号,以引起读者的注意。