流行美語 第186課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华正在户外吃午饭。突然他们看到一只很大的蟑螂。今天李华会学到两个常用语:freaky和wig 1 out。
LL: Wow! That was freaky! I've never seen such a big cockroach 2 before!
LH: 哎哟,那么大一个蟑螂!真是恶心死了!Larry,你刚才说freaky,那是什么意思啊?
LL: Freaky means scary or really weird 3. That bug 4 was definitely freaky.
LH: 噢,freaky是形容很可怕或者很怪。一点都没错,那只大蟑螂真的是既恶心又可怕。我最怕蟑螂,尤其是这么大的!
LL: What do you think of spiders?
LH: 蜘蛛?我觉得蜘蛛比蟑螂更可怕!
LL: Yeah, I don't like spiders very much either. My friend has a pet tarantula, which is a really big hairy spider, and it is the freakiest thing I've ever seen.
LH: 我真搞不懂,像你朋友那样的人怎么会养蜘蛛当宠物,毛茸茸的蜘蛛想起来就让人头皮发麻,怎么还能当宠物,真是freaky耶!
LL: Pet tarantulas are actually pretty common. You can buy them in any pet shop.
LH: 嗨,我才不管这种蜘蛛宠物是不是很常见。我还是觉得养蜘蛛当宠物真是很怪,很可怕的,very freaky!
LL: There's a horror movie about giant spiders that is so freaky that I can't even bear to watch it.
LH: 噢,你是说那部有大蜘蛛的电影?嗯,我还记得看过他们的广告。别说去看了,我连想都没想过。如果我真的去看了那电影,大概会做一个月的恶梦。
LL: Yeah, I only watched a few minutes of it before I decided 5 that it was too freaky for me.
LH: 瞧,连你这个大男生都不敢看,那电影一定很freaky。对了,Larry,除了蟑螂、蜘蛛,你觉得蛇是不是也很freaky?
LL: Actually, snakes don't bother me that much. Rats don't bother me very much, either.
LH: 啊,你不怕蛇,也不怕老鼠。好怪噢!我啊,我觉得蛇跟老鼠就像蜘蛛一样恐怖!
******
LL: Hey, Li Hua, would you wig out and refuse to come to my apartment if I got a pet rat?
LH: 你想在家里养老鼠当宠物,还问我会不会wig out,那是什么意思啊?
LL: To wig out means the same as to freak out. It means to get very excited or upset.
LH: 噢,wig out跟freak out意思一样,就是让人激动,或者把人吓坏了。哎,Larry,你是真的想养一只老鼠当宠物啊?
LL: They actually make good pets and they are relatively 6 easy to care for.
LH: 你觉得养老鼠当宠物比较简单,那你就去养,我管不着,不过,我可能再也不敢去你家了。
LL: That's what I was afraid of. I wouldn't mind having a pet rat, but I don't want to make all of my friends wig out, either.
LH: 嗯,听你这么一说,我倒强烈建议你别养老鼠。我想很多人,特别是女孩子,大概会被你的宠物吓跑。这样你想交女朋友的希望就更加渺茫喽!
LL: I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, I don't want to meet a nice girl then cause her to wig out when she finds out that I have a pet rat.
LH: 就是啊,为了一只老鼠,吓跑了女朋友,那就不上算了。不过话说回来,Larry,你要是真的很想养宠物,就别太在意别人的想法嘛!
LL: I know, but I don't want people wigging 7 out every time they come to my apartment.
LH: 你又想养宠物,又怕朋友被吓跑。对了,或许你可以考虑养鱼啊,一般人不会怕鱼,有的鱼还非常好看呐!
LL:That's a good idea!
今天李华学到两个常用语。第一个是freaky,是形容很可怕,很怪的意思。另一个常用语是wig out,这是指让人激动,或者使人很害怕的意思。
- The actress wore a black wig over her blond hair.那个女演员戴一顶黑色假发罩住自己的金黄色头发。
- He disguised himself with a wig and false beard.他用假发和假胡须来乔装。
- A cockroach can live several weeks with its head off.蟑螂在头被切掉后仍能活好几个星期。
- She screamed when she found a cockroach in her bed.她在床上找到一只蟑螂时大声尖叫。
- From his weird behaviour,he seems a bit of an oddity.从他不寻常的行为看来,他好像有点怪。
- His weird clothes really gas me.他的怪衣裳简直笑死人。
- There is a bug in the system.系统出了故障。
- The bird caught a bug on the fly.那鸟在飞行中捉住了一只昆虫。
- This gave them a decided advantage over their opponents.这使他们比对手具有明显的优势。
- There is a decided difference between British and Chinese way of greeting.英国人和中国人打招呼的方式有很明显的区别。
- The rabbit is a relatively recent introduction in Australia.兔子是相对较新引入澳大利亚的物种。
- The operation was relatively painless.手术相对来说不痛。