流行美語 第197課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华今天请Larry到家里来一起看电视转播的世界杯比赛。今天是美国队对捷克队。李华会学到两个常用语:make a big stink 1和to be creamed。
(sound of knocking door)
LH:请进来! Come on in, Larry!
LL: Oh, hey there, Li Hua, I see the game has started. What's the big stink?
LH: 球赛刚开始。你说这儿有臭味? 我没有闻到什么臭味呀!
LL: No, I don't mean your apartment is stinking 2. I was asking why the soccer players are making a big stink. Big stink means 3 making a big fuss 4 or complaining.
LH: 噢,你是问电视上这些球员在吵什么?嗨,美国队踢进了一个球,可是没有得分,因为裁判判定失误,所以就吵了起来。
LL: So, the players are mad, and the U.S. soccer coach is making a big stink by arguing with the referee 5.
LH: 是啊, 美国队个个气得火冒三丈。美国教练通常比较低调, 这次也忍不住跟裁判争执,表示强烈不满。
LL: Yeah, but I don't think making a big stink about the call is going to change the referee's mind.
LH: 我也这么想呢, 大吵大闹是不会改变裁判的决定的,还不如就算了, 接着比赛就好了嘛。
LL: This reminds me of when I played baseball as a kid. Every once in a while a parent would get upset with the umpire and make a big stink.
LH: 这不仅是你小时候打棒球的情况,现在也是那样。美国家长特别重视孩子的体育活动,有比赛必到现场,为孩子打气。觉得不公平还会对裁判大喊大叫。 我父母只有在我学习成绩不好的时候才会严厉批评。
LL: Li Hua, weren't you the perfect student? I can't imagine your parents having anything to make a stink about.
LH: 谁说他们不生气?我上中学的时候, 有个学期我的数学成绩很差。 我父母就特别生气。这对他们来说才是件大事。
LL: Well, they had your best interests at heart. Say, you know what I want to make a big stink about now?
LH: 我当然知道他们是为了我好。You want to make a big stink?有什么事让你不满意呀?
LL: Where is the snack food? You can't watch soccer without having some snacks.
LH: 嗨,你们美国人呀,看球就非得吃零食。不过,这不是什么大事。You don't have to make a big stink。 厨房里有好多吃的,你自己去拿 吧。
*******
LL: Have some chips, Li Hua. Hmm...it looks like the U.S. is getting creamed.
LH: Creamed? Cream不是奶油吗?
LL: No, creamed mean getting beaten. And badly.
LH:噢,creamed在这里的意思是被打败,而且是惨败。
LL:That's right. Say, Li Hua, why are you rooting for the U.S. team, anyway?
LH: 我为什么帮美国队呀?你忘啦,中国队在亚洲地区赛中输给了科威特队, 根本没有资格参加世界杯赛。
LL: Oh, yeah, I remember that. They were creamed pretty badly - Six to one, as I recall 6.
LH: 没错,输给科威特六比一!别说了, 一提起中国队的惨败, 我就伤心。 所以现在我支持美国队, 因为我在美国留学, 可没想到美国队也要输了。The US team is going to be creamed!
LL: The Czech Republic team is really good. I am not surprised the U.S. is getting creamed.
LH: 美国队看来是输定了,我们别看球了。出去玩吧。
LL: It's a nice day, Li Hua. Let's go out and play some badminton.
LH: Larry,打羽毛球 你可不是我的对手, 说不定会被打得一败涂地呦。I'm sure you'll get creamed.
LL: I tell you what, Li Hua, if you cream me at badminton, I promise...
LH: 你保证什么?
LL: I promise not to make a big stink about it!
今天李华学到了两个常用语。一个是make a big stink, 意思是大吵大闹、表示强烈不满。李华学到的另一个常用语是to be creamed意思是被击败。
- The stink of the rotten fish turned my stomach.腐烂的鱼臭味使我恶心。
- The room has awful stink.那个房间散发着难闻的臭气。
- I was pushed into a filthy, stinking room. 我被推进一间又脏又臭的屋子里。
- Those lousy, stinking ships. It was them that destroyed us. 是的!就是那些该死的蠢猪似的臭飞船!是它们毁了我们。 来自英汉非文学 - 科幻
- That man used artful means to find out secrets.那人使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- We must get it done by some means or other.我们总得想办法把它干完。
- My mother makes a fuss of me every time I come home.我每次回家,母亲总对我体贴备至。
- Stop all this fuss and do your homework.别大惊小怪了,去做你的家庭作业吧。
- The team was left raging at the referee's decision.队员们对裁判员的裁决感到非常气愤。
- The referee blew a whistle at the end of the game.裁判在比赛结束时吹响了哨子。