流行口語 第162課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
李华在房门上发现了一张纸条,可是字体写的很潦草,看不清写的是什么,也不知道是谁写的.今天李华会学到两个常用语: gibberish 和 google。
LH: 吔,Larry,你能不能帮我看看这张字条上到底写些什么啊?
LL: I can't read it, either. It looks like gibberish to me. Are you sure someone didn't leave it as a joke?
LH: 为什么有人要跟我开玩笑留这张字条?你说这看起来像 gibberish.那是什么语言啊?
LL: Gibberish means 1 language that doesn't make any sense.
LH: Gibberish 就是写得乱七八糟,没人看得懂的意思.那不就是胡言乱语吗?为什么有人要写这张奇怪的字条,还放在我的门上呢?
LL: I don't know. That doesn't make any sense to me.
LH: 我想啊这字条应该很重要,不然这个人不会千里迢迢到我的楼里,在我门上留下这张字条。
LL: Well, it wasn't important enough for them to write in plain English. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
LH: 那倒也是喔,要是很重要,这个人就应该写清楚一点嘛!我只希望啊这个留字条的人不要认为我没礼貌,不给他回复。
LL: Hey, it's not your fault that the note was all gibberish. Besides, if it's really important, whoever 2 it is will try to contact you again.
LH: 没错,如果真有什么重要的事,这个人啊会再和我联系的.对了, Larry,你知道我还在哪里见过这种写得乱七八糟的东西吗?
LL: No, but I'm sure you're going to tell me.
LH: 一些美国人啊喜欢在身上刺中文刺青或穿着带有中文字的衣服.可是有时候这些中文根本就不对,看不清是什么字.所以啊也算是 gibberish。
LL: Yeah, I've seen people do that, too. But the truth is, I saw the same thing in China: People would wear clothes with English writing on them that was pure gibberish.
LH: 嘿嘿,这啊真有意思.我想都是因为大家对外国语言似懂非懂吧?
…………………………………………………………………
LH: 嘿,Larry,又有人在我门上留条了,不过这一次啊,还有个公司商标在上面.你听说过一个叫 West 的公司吗?
LL: No, I've never heard of it, but you can find out what sort of company it is by googling it.
LH: 你要我做什么? Google?那是什么意思啊?
LL: You know that there is an internet search engine called Google, right?
LH: 我当然知道啊,因特网的搜索引擎 Google.中文叫古狗(谷歌)网站,我经常用的啊。
LL: Well, people use it so often, that now it has become a verb 3 meaning to do an internet search using Google.
LH: 哦~,因为大家经常用古狗网来查询,所以现在啊 google 已经成了一个动词,意思就是上网用古狗网查数据或信息!你是要我上网去 google 一下,查查这家公司啊?
LL: That's my advice. It will only take a minute. Googling stuff 4 is so convenient 5. I can't imagine what life was like before Google.
LH: 就是啊,要是从前啊找一家公司,不知道要花多少时间翻电话本,现在只要上网,一下子就找到了喔。
LL: Sometimes when you google something, you get a lot of unnecessary 6 information, but you can look through it relatively 7 quickly.
LH: 没错,我刚开始 google 的时候啊,我总觉得不到点上.现在我看谁都得用 google,因为它实在是很方便.好,我现在就上网来看看这家 West 公司到底是做什么的。
LL: Good luck. I hope you get an answer to the question of who has been leaving mysterious notes full of gibberish on your door.
LH:吔,Larry,要是啊我 google 碰到问题,我还得请你帮忙哦!
LL:Oh, google is so easy, you won't have any problems.
今天李华学到了两个常用语,第一个是: gibberish,就是“写的乱七八糟,看不清的字”,或者是“胡言乱语,让人听不懂得话”.另一个常用语是: google,就是指“上网查某个信息或数据”。
- That man used artful means to find out secrets.那人使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- We must get it done by some means or other.我们总得想办法把它干完。
- I'll find the person who did this,whoever he is.我要找出干这件事的人,不管他是谁。
- Whoever does best will get the prize.谁做得最出色谁就得奖。
- The sentence is formed from a verb and two nouns.这句子由一个动词和两个名词构成。
- These are the finite forms of a verb.这些是一个动词的限定形式。
- We could supply you with the stuff in the raw tomorrow.明天我们可以供应你原材料。
- He is not the stuff.他不是这个材料。
- I have to find a convenient location for the shelves.我得找一合适的地方放这些书架。
- Come at any time that is convenient to you.你哪会儿方便就哪会儿来吧。
- There's no sense in taking unnecessary risks.做不必要的冒险毫无意义。
- It's unnecessary to go into details.无须细说。
- The rabbit is a relatively recent introduction in Australia.兔子是相对较新引入澳大利亚的物种。
- The operation was relatively painless.手术相对来说不痛。