流行口語 第155課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华正在学校体育馆里打篮球.今天李华会学到两个常用语: butterfingers 和 klutz。
LL: Here, Li Hua, catch!
LH: 嘿!Larry,你不要那么用力嘛!你这么用力我接不住啊!
LL: Don't blame the fact that you're a butterfingers on me. I don't think it's my fault that you keep dropping the ball.
LH: 对,我老是接不住球,可我没有怪你呀!我只是让你别使那么大劲儿嘛.你说我是什么来着啊? Butterfingers?喝!你肯定又在损我了,是不是?
LL: A butterfingers is someone who is clumsy 1 and tends to drop things.
LH: 哦~,我知道了, butter 是黄油, fingers 是手指, butterfingers 就好像啊手上抹黄油,油腻腻的抓不住东西.也就是指那些笨手笨脚,经常会把东西掉在地上的人. Larry,我才不是呢,都是你~,扔球太用力,所以我才接不住啊!
LL: Okay, butterfingers, you can keep trying to blame this on me, but I know the truth.
LH: 别再叫我 butterfingers 了啦.吔,来吧,再丢一次,只是别那么用力了喔!
LL: All right, but I don't think it's going to help.
LH: 你看.我这不是接住了吗? I'm not a butterfingers!
LL: That was just luck. Don't feel too bad, though, my sister's much more of a butterfingers than you are.
LH: 你妹妹比我还糟糕?怎么说啊?
LL: She used to try out for the softball 2 team every year in high school, but she never made the team because she couldn't catch the ball.
LH: 啊~,她念中学的时候每年都参加垒球队选拔,从来没有被接纳呀!就是因为她老接不到球!看来她真的是个 butterfingers。
LL: My sister's tough, though, she never let the fact that she's a genuine 3 butterfingers stop her from trying.
……………………………………………………………..
LH: Larry,你怎么摔倒啦,没事吧?
LL: Yeah, I'm all right. I just tripped over that rock. I'm such a klutz!
LH: 喔~,是一块石头把你绊倒了啊?疑?你说你是什么来着啊? Klutz?那是什么意思啊?
LL: A klutz is someone who is very clumsy and falls, and trips, and bumps 4 into things very easily.
LH: Klutz 就是指那种经常会撞上什么东西,经常会跌倒的人啊. Larry,我可从来没有见你摔倒过吔.这还是第一次呢,所以你还算不上是个 klutz。
LL: Thank you, Li Hua. I appreciate it. However, I assure 5 you that I can be a real klutz sometimes. Fortunately, I usually do klutzy things when no one else is looking.
LH: 哼哼嘿,Larry,你啊真有意思.你怎么知道你笨手笨脚的时候没有人看见呢?不久前你好像告诉我你撞到什么东西.我听了也忘了。
LL: Oh, that's a few months ago. One day, I wasn't paying attention and I walked into a street sign. Some girls saw me and they started laughing. I felt ridiculous 6!
LH: 光听你这么说啊,我就觉得很好笑,从没听说有人走在路上还会撞上路标的.我可以想象,你当时啊一定显得很傻, a real klutz!
LL: Well, that's the only time people saw me being a klutz. I don't plan on doing a repeat performance.
LH: 就这一次给人看见?以后不再会这样傻了?你别太自信了!
LL:You mean once a klutz, always a klutz?
LH:我不是说你做了一次傻事,以后永远做傻事.我是说啊你还有可能做傻事喔。
LL:Well, let's see!
今天李华学到了两个常用语.第一个是: butterfingers,这是指“抓不稳东西、手里拿的东西经常会掉到地上去”.另外一个常用语是: klutz,是形容“一个人经常跌倒,或者是撞到东西,笨手笨脚的”。
- He is clumsy with his hands.他的一双手很笨。
- Its body looks heavy and clumsy when it has eaten its fill.它步态蹒跚,吃饱了的身体更显得笨拙可笑。
- The softball is solid.垒球是实心的。
- I love sports like volleyball and softball.我喜欢体育运动比如排球和垒球。
- On further examination it was found that the signature was not genuine.经过进一步的调查发现签名不是真的。
- As time went on,a genuine friendship grew up between us.随着时间的推移,我们之间产生了一种真挚的友情。
- I had goose bumps when we watched the fireworks. 我们看烟火的时候,我起鸡皮疙瘩。
- E was kind of zig-zagging across the pavement, and I bumps into 'im accidental-like. 他有点歪歪斜斜地在人行道上走,我一不小心撞到了他的怀里。 来自英汉文学
- The only ladder to assure success is to work hard.确保成功的惟一途径是刻苦努力。
- I assure you that she can be trusted to do the job.我担保她能做好这项工作。
- It is simply ridiculous to attempt such a thing.试图干这种事,简直可笑。
- It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.这是我有生以来听到的最为荒唐可笑的事。