流行口語 第156課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华到学校附近一家新开的墨西哥快餐店吃饭.今天李华会学到两个常用语: cash cow 和 tickled 2 pink。
LL: Wow! This place is a real cash cow! Look how crowded it is!
LH: Cash cow?什么是 cash cow?我知道 cash 就是钱,现金; cow 是一头牛.哦~,我懂了, cash cow 就是一头很有钱的牛.意思就是说,这里啊生意这么兴隆,钱赚很多.对不对?
LL: That’s right! A cash cow is a business that is very profitable 3. This is obviously 4 a popular place, so they must be making a lot of money.
LH: 没错,这家餐厅啊一定很赚钱.你看,要是这里每小时来 200 个客人,每个人平均消费 7 美元,那就不得了吔!
LL: That's $1,400 an hour! This place is definitely 5 a cash cow. I wish I owned a business like this.
LH: 嗯~,我也希望自己能有这样一个会赚钱的摇钱树呢。
LL: You know what? The new movie theater that they just opened by campus 6 is another real cash cow.
LH: 对吔!学校旁边那家新开的电影院啊,是这附近唯一的一家,所以大家都上那儿去看电影.他们啊肯定也很赚钱。
LL: Tickets are really expensive, too, but we don't have a choice because there aren't any other movie theaters nearby.
LH: 真没办法,就因为他们是这儿唯一的一家电影院,尽管啊票价贵,大家也别无选择啰!他们啊就变成了赚钱的影院, a cash cow! 可是啊苦了我们这些穷学生喔!
LL: At least they give us student discounts on weekdays. That makes it a little bit easier on us.
LH: 看来啊,我们最好在星期一到星期五之间去看电影.这样呢就可以享受优惠价.不过这对戏院本身也有好处嘛!这样一来,学生就愿意在生意比较清淡的时间去看电影啰!
LL: You should be a businesswoman, Li Hua. It seems like you really understand these things. If you own a business, I'm sure it will turn out to be a cash cow.
LH: 也不见得啦!我啊其实对做生意没有太大兴趣。
……………………………………………………………………
LL: I'm tickled pink with the food here. What do you think, Li Hua? Do you like Mexican food?
LH: 我很喜欢墨西哥菜,好吃极了.你说你 tickled pink? Tickle 1 是搔痒的意思, pink 是粉红色,你是说这道菜太辣啦?
LL: No, I mean that I really like the food. To be tickled pink by something is to be really pleased by it.
LH: 哦~,原来, tickled pink 就是指非常高兴、很满意的意思.嗯!我也很喜欢这里的菜. I am tickled pink too。
LL: Oh, I almost forgot to tell you: I got a really good job for the summer. I'm really tickled pink about it.
LH: 你找到了一份非常好的暑期工?那太好了,我真替你高兴.疑?那你什么时候开始工作呢?
LL: I'll take a couple of weeks off after exams and then start working at the beginning of June. I told my mom and she was tickled pink too.
LH: 考完试休息几个星期再工作.这安排啊真是不错,别说你妈听了高兴,谁听了都会替你高兴.我啊还不知道这个暑期要干什么呢!
LL: Aren't you going to visit Vancouver?
LH: 对,我是要去温哥华看我哥哥,但是我得先打工,赚了钱才能去呀!听说啊学校图书馆有暑期工作呢。
LL: That sounds good. You could sit in the air-conditioned library all summer and read and play on the Internet. You should be tickled pink to get a job like that!
LH: 对,要是他们要我的话,我可以一个暑期坐在有空调的图书馆里看书,玩互联网(因特网).有那么一个工作,我当然高兴啦!
今天李华学到了两个常用语.一个是: cash cow,这是指“非常赚钱的生意”,也就是“摇钱树”.另一个常用语是: tickled pink,是“让人非常高兴、非常愉快”的意思。
- Wilson was feeling restless. There was a tickle in his throat.威尔逊只觉得心神不定。嗓子眼里有些发痒。
- I am tickle pink at the news.听到这消息我高兴得要命。
- We were tickled pink to see our friends on television. 在电视中看到我们的一些朋友,我们高兴极了。
- I tickled the baby's feet and made her laugh. 我胳肢孩子的脚,使她发笑。
- That business became profitable last year.那项生意去年变得很赚钱。
- The convention business is very profitable for the hotel industry.承办会议业务能给旅馆业带来很高的利润。
- Obviously they were putting him to a severe test.显然他们是在给他以严峻的考验。
- Obviously he was lying.显然他是在撒谎。
- The team will definitely lose if he doesn't play.如果他不参加比赛,这个队肯定会输。
- I shall definitely be home before six o'clock.6点以前,我一定回家。