流行美語 第227課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华正在去学校的书店。 李华今天会学到两个常用语hip 1 and square。
LL: Wow, Li Hua, that is a really hip book bag!
LH: Hip? Hip不是人的臀部吗。这跟我的书包有什么关系呢?
LL: "Hip" is a slang 2 word that means something is really cool and neat. I think your back pack is cool, so I said it was hip.
LH: 我明白了, hip在这里是个俚语。意思是很棒, 很时髦。 你喜欢我的背包?这还是我在中国上大学的时候买的呢。这么旧的包有什么好的呢?
LL: I think it is hip because it has Chinese characters on it. Things with Chinese characters on them are really cool - Really hip.
LH: 有中文字的东西都好啊?这种背包在中国到处都是。我们并不觉得这种背包特别时髦。
LL: Well, most Americans can't read the Chinese, but they still think having something, like a t-shirt or jewelry 3, with Chinese characters on it is really hip.
LH: 那到是很有意思,美国人不懂中文,可是却喜欢有中文字的东西。我是看到有不少美国人的体恤衫上有中文字。中文字那么时髦, 说不定还能吸引一些人来我的班上学中文呢。
LL: I am sure it will. Have you ever noticed some of the students have tattoos 4 with Chinese characters?
LH: 是啊,有的美国人纹身,刺的是中文字 。可惜有的时候他们恐怕不知道这些字的意思。
LL: What do you mean?
LH: 我有一次在校园里看到一位很时髦的男生,他的胳膊上写着“只能干洗。”
LL: Ha, ha! That is really funny. And decidedly un-hip.
LH: 是啊,“只能干洗”不仅不酷而且很可笑。 Larry, 我们快到书店了。听说时髦的学生都喜欢坐在书店的咖啡厅里边喝咖啡边看书。你要不要也喝一杯咖啡呀?
LL: I don't know, Li Hua. . . Are we hip enough to drink coffee with all the cool students on campus?
LH: 你够不够时髦我不知道,反正我有资格,别忘了我有一个时髦的背包。
LL: Well, maybe some of your hip-ness will rub off on me!
LH:行呀,你就沾点我的光吧!
******
LL: Wow, sitting here with all of these hip college students is making me feel a little square.
LH: Larry, 你看上去既不是方的,也不是圆的。不过如果一定要给你定型的话,我觉得你更圆一些。
LL: I'm not talking about my physical shape, Li Hua. You know how "hip" means something cool? Something that is "square" is not cool at all.
LH: 噢,原来square跟我刚才学到的hip意思正相反。Square就是不时髦,很土得意思。
LL: That's right. And right now I am feeling square.
LH: 你为什么感觉自己跟不上潮流很土呢?
LL: Well, I've been out of school for a while, and I've been working. Every one here seems so young and carefree. It seems part of growing up is to become square.
LH: 不错,你已经毕业,开始在公司做事了,学校里的人年龄也比较小。可是我不同意你的看法,成长并不等于越来越保守呀!
LL: Look - I'm wearing a dress shirt with a tie, khaki pants and glasses. This is the uniform of a square.
LH: 这我还没有听说!衬衫加领带,一条卡基其布裤子,再带上一付眼镜,这就成了赶不上潮流的典型制服?
LL: Right.
LH: 可是Larry, 我觉得你的眼镜很好看,很时髦。你看上去很有学问。
LL: Thanks, Li Hua. But squares often look smart and read and study all the time.
LH: 噢,不时髦的人看起来都很聪明,经常读书学习。那我这个研究生每天都看书,一定就是不时髦喽。I am a true square!
LL: Well, I guess that means we two squares can hang out together then!
今天李华学到了两个常用语。一个是hip, 意思是很棒、很酷、很时髦。还有一个是square, 意思是保守,不时髦。
- The thigh bone is connected to the hip bone.股骨连着髋骨。
- The new coats blouse gracefully above the hip line.新外套在臀围线上优美地打着褶皱。
- The phrase is labelled as slang in the dictionary.这个短语在这本字典里被注为俚语。
- Slang often goes in and out of fashion quickly.俚语往往很快风行起来又很快不再风行了。
- The burglars walked off with all my jewelry.夜盗偷走了我的全部珠宝。
- Jewelry and lace are mostly feminine belongings.珠宝和花边多数是女性用品。