流行美語 第225課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry和李华刚下课。李华告诉Larry一个非常好的消息。李华今天要学会两个常用语 get out of here和burned out。
LM: Larry! 我有个好消息,说了你一定不相信,我买的彩票中奖了!
LL: Really? Get out of here!
LH: 我中了彩票,你不为我高兴,还让我出去?Get out of here? 我们又不在屋子里,出去上哪儿去呀?
LL: No, listen,when someone tells you some good or exciting news, and you are really surprised, you can say get-out-of-here. It shows that you can barely 1 believe the good news.
LH: 原来get out of here在这里是表示惊讶和难以相信的意思。按字面来解释不就是出去吗。
LL: You are right. So anyway, how much money did you win?
LH: 你说我的彩票呀? 我中奖得了一千美元。
LL: A thousand dollars? Get out of here! You are sooooo lucky! Hey, I've got some good news too. Do you remember that summer internship 2 at the museum I applied 3 for?
LH: 你申请暑假到那博物馆去实习,当然记得呀!怎么啦?他们接受你去实习啦?
LL: That's right! And not only that, but they are going to pay me a good salary too!
LH: 让你去实习,还给你很好的薪水?Get out of here! 我简直不能相信。这比中奖还棒。
LL: Heh, well, I don't know about that... Oh, by the way, you won't believe who I saw in the coffee shop near my apartment this morning, Jet Li!
LH: 什么?你在公寓附近的咖啡店里看见李连杰了?Get out of here!
LL: He's a really nice guy. Look, he gave me an autograph.
LH: Whoa, get out of here! 李连杰还给你亲笔签名!你真幸运。
******
LL: Well, Li Hua, what are you going to do with your lottery 4 winnings?
LH: 我要把大部分存起来, 不过我想请几个朋友去听音乐会。你要不要去?
LL: Umm, well... I really appreciate the offer, but I'm kind of burnt out right now. I need to stay home and rest.
LH: 你说你因为burnt out, 所以要在家里休息?什么是burnt out?
LL: I said that I am burnt out. To be burnt out means to become exhausted 5 because of stress or too much activity.
LH: 噢, burnt out是指因为压力太大, 活动太多而疲惫不堪。 我看你就是活动太多,放假以后你天天都去参加聚会,所以才累成这样。
LL: That's right, during the school year I was burnt out from studying and working, and now that school is out, I'm burnt out from partying!
LH: 我知道你的意思。记得去年我本来要上四门课,同时还要当助教。没到两个星期,我就已经累坏了。
LL: Good thing you dropped one of those classes. It's hard to be a good teacher when you are burnt out from studying yourself!
LH: 对,幸亏我放弃了一门课。 自己学习都应付不过来怎么才能当好老师呢! Larry, 你不能跟我们去听音乐会, 真是可惜。 你知道还有谁喜欢滚石乐队吗?
LL: The Rolling Stones? Get out of here! You have tickets to the Rolling Stones concert? OK, never mind what I said earlier, I'm going with you!
LH: 我就知道你再累也不会错过滚石乐队的。 不过,Larry,有的人说滚石乐队已经演出了四十年,现在已经太疲乏了- burnt out。
LL: I don't agree. I don't think they will ever burnt out.
今天李华学到了两个常用语。一个是get out of here, 意思是难以相信,还有一个是burnt out,意思是累坏了,精疲力尽。
- The male bird is barely distinguishable from the female.雄鸟和雌鸟几乎无法辨别。
- He took barely enough money to keep the children in bread.他赚很少的钱仅够孩子们勉强糊口。
- an internship at a television station 在电视台的实习期
- a summer internship with a small stipend 薪水微薄的暑期实习
- She plans to take a course in applied linguistics.她打算学习应用语言学课程。
- This cream is best applied to the face at night.这种乳霜最好晚上擦脸用。
- He won no less than £5000 in the lottery.他居然中了5000英镑的奖券。
- They thought themselves lucky in the lottery of life.他们认为自己是变幻莫测的人生中的幸运者。