流行美語 第223課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry在告诉李华他公司里发生的事。 李华今天会学会两个常用语,trash talking和make waves。
LL: So, Li Hua, yesterday at the office I heard two of my co-workers trash talking my boss.
LH: 什么是trash talking? 难道他们在谈垃圾,垃圾有什么好谈的?
LL: No, it's not. Trash talking is saying really mean things about someone.
LH: 噢,trash talking就是说别人的坏话。那你的这两位同事为什么要说老板的坏话呢?
LL: I think they were upset because he didn't like a proposal 1 they submitted 2. They were saying my boss wasn't very smart and didn't make good decisions for the company.
LH: 就因为老板没有接受他们的建议,他们就说他笨,作出的决策对公司不利?他们也太自负了吧! Larry,那你是怎么看的呢?
LL: I am sure he had his reasons for rejecting their proposal. I have a lot of respect for my boss, and that is why their trash talking him bothers me so much.
LH: 老板拒绝他们的建议总有他的道理。我知道你很尊重你们的老板,所以听见别人在背后说他坏话就感到很讨厌。我那天也听到两个研究生在说一个教授的坏话。我也觉得很讨厌。
LL: Did you do anything about their trash talk?
LH: 我当时就为这位教授辩护。 他们不一定会改变看法,但是我不能听任他们诬蔑这位教授。
LL: Good for you, Li Hua!
LH: 后来别人告诉我那两个人又在背后说我的坏话 - They trash talked me 。
LL: I guess you made them mad by bringing attention to their trash talking. I just don't have the courage to deal with my two co-workers who talked trash about my boss.
LH: 你没有勇气来对付他们?这有什么呢?你就对他们说, 你们这样说老板的坏话是不对的。
LL: I don't think it is that easy, Li Hua. After all, I still have to work with these trash talkers.
******
LH: 你是不是担心他们会找你的麻烦呀?
LL: It is not so much that I am afraid of them, as it is that I don't want to make waves at work.
LH: 你不是怕他们,而是不想在工作单位make waves。 Make waves是什么意思?你不想兴风作浪?
LL: No, no. Making waves means to cause a disturbance 3.
LH: 噢, 你是不想得罪他们,引起纠纷。
LL: I know it would make waves at work. These two co-workers are senior to me, and I know if I talked to them, they'd just cause trouble for me.
LH: 这两个人资历都比你深。你要批评他们,他们就会给你找麻烦,你实际上还是有点怕他们。
LL: You know, I also don't want to make waves at home, too.
LH: 公司里的事情怎么会牵涉到你的家人,又怎么会给家里制造麻烦呢?
LL: Well, my parents just want me to do well and be successful. It would upset them to know I was having trouble at work.
LH: 我明白了, 你不想让父母担心。 Larry,你不愧是个孝子。 我的一个学生可不像你。他暑假回家的时候, 给家里制造了不少麻烦。
LL: What did he do?
LH: 他在肚脐上穿了一个洞, 带上了一个金属环。他要赶新潮。可把他的父母都快要气疯了。
LL: Well, that certainly is one way to make waves. Li Hua, you don't seem to be able to make waves.
LH: 那你就不了解我了。几个月前我也跟我的房东闹了一场呢。
LL: Really, Li Hua, you didn't tell me about this. What happened?
LH: 我公寓里的浴缸漏水了。我跟老板说了好几次他都不理我。 后来我实在忍无可忍,就去他办公室问他为什么不给修,so I made some waves。
LL: It is too bad you had to make some waves to get your landlord 4 to do what he is supposed to do.
LH: 其实我是不喜欢这样做的 - I don't like to make waves。他要早派人修了不就没事了嘛!
今天李华学到了两个常用语。一个是trash talking, 意思是说别人的坏话。还有一个是make waves, 意思是制造麻烦或纠纷。
- I feel that we ought to accept his proposal.我觉得我们应该接受他的建议。
- They could not gain over anyone to support their proposal.他们无法争取到支持他们建议的人。
- He struck a blow against being submitted to the enemy. 他反对向敌人投降。
- Counsel submitted that there was no case against his client. 辩护人辩称没有什么可加罪于他的当事人。
- He is suffering an emotional disturbance.他的情绪受到了困扰。
- You can work in here without any disturbance.在这儿你可不受任何干扰地工作。