流行口語 第168課
时间:2019-02-12 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry 和李华正在讨论星期六要干什么.李华呢要去逛街,但是 Larry 想去打篮球.今天李华会学到两个常用语: whatever floats your boat 和 up a creek 1。
LH: Larry,我真的很想去逛街嘛!这个周末在购物中心有大特卖吔!
LL: I don't understand why you like shopping so much, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
LH: Boat?你在说什么啊?我是想去逛街买衣服,不是要去乘船玩啦!
LL: No, "whatever floats your boat" is an expression. Whatever floats your boat means 2 that you should do whatever you like doing. It also implies 3 that everyone likes to do different things.
LH: 哦~, whatever floats your boat 就是说你爱干什么就干什儿,而且啊,还有每个人爱好不同的意思.好,那我星期六要去逛街!
LL: Fine then. You should do whatever floats your boat. However, I think I'll go play basketball instead.
LH: 行,你想去打篮球,那就去吧! Whatever floats your boat!
LL: I guess we won't be spending Saturday together. We could still meet for dinner, though.
LH: 没问题,晚上一起吃晚饭,那~,你想去哪儿吃饭呢?
LL: I don't have any preferences 4. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me.
LH: 真的吗?由我来决定去哪儿吃饭啊?
LL: Yep, the decision is yours.
LH: 嗯 ...,这样啊,吔!我们能不能去学校附近那家新开的泰国餐厅?我朋友告诉我,他们的菜很好吃喔!
LL: If that's what floats your boat, then it's fine with me.
LH: 好,没问题.那我们星期六晚上 6 点半在餐厅见啰!
LL: Okay, I'll see you then.
………………………………………………………………
LH: 怎么啦?Larry,出了什么事儿啊?
LL: I lost my keys when I went to play basketball today. Now, I'm really up a creek.
LH: 你把钥匙弄丢了?哎呀,那可真是麻烦了.不过,这跟 a creek有什么关系啊? Creek 那不就是小溪吗?
LL: If someone is "up a creek" it means that he or she is stuck in a bad situation without an obvious solution.
LH: 哦~,我懂了, up a creek 就是说一个人碰上难题,而且还没有办法来解决.也就是我们中文里说的“陷入困境”.唉,你啊现在真的是碰上大难题了.那你打算怎么办呢?
LL: I don't know. I can't get into my apartment or my car without my keys.
LH: 对喔,你没有钥匙就进不了家,也进不了你的车,那你能不能打电话问你房东,或许他有多一把钥匙啊。
LL: My landlord 5 is out of town for the weekend, so I'm up a creek until he gets back on Monday.
LH: 什么?你的房东出远门,要到星期一才会回来?那可麻烦了.也许你可以找个锁匠来开锁啊?
LL: I think that might be my only solution, but it's going to be expensive.
LH: 我知道,请锁匠来开锁啊,可能要花一点钱,可是那总比你一个周末被关在家门外,不得其门而入要好吧?
LL: Yeah, you're right. I have no idea what to do about my car keys, though. They're a little bit more difficult to replace.
LH: 不好意思哦,我不开车,所以不知道上哪儿能找到新的车钥匙.看来啊你真是 up a creek,陷入困境了。
今天李华学到了两个常用语.第一个是: whatever floats your boat,意思就是“你爱干什么就干什么”.另一个常用语是: up a creek,这是“形容一个人陷入困境”。
- He sprang through the creek.他跳过小河。
- People sunbathe in the nude on the rocks above the creek.人们在露出小溪的岩石上裸体晒日光浴。
- That man used artful means to find out secrets.那人使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- We must get it done by some means or other.我们总得想办法把它干完。
- They believe that submission in no way implies inferiority. 他们认为服从决不意味着低人一等。
- Your silence implies tacit consent to these proposals. 你的沉默意味着你默许这些提议。
- Consensus did not emerge from a compromise between individual preferences. 意见一致并不是个人不同爱好的折衷产物。
- Judith had not much reserve in the manifestations of her preferences. 朱迪思毫不掩饰她的感情。