流行美语 第145课 - back to square one / killer
时间:2019-01-30 作者:英语课 分类:美国之音《流行美语》
Larry在帮李华写一篇报告,因为李华的电脑出了问题,她写的整个报告都丢了。今天李华会学到两个常用语:back to square one和killer 1.
LH: 电脑出了问题,我写的东西全没了!真糟糕,现在我得从头开始写了!
LL: I'm sorry, Li Hua. It's a real bummer, but I guess we're back to square one.
LH: Larry,我急都快急死了,你还在做什么游戏,什么方块一,方块二的。方块和我写报告有什么关系?
LL: Oh, when you're back to square one it means 2 that you are back where you started and you have to start all over again.
LH: 噢,原来back to square one就是回到开头的地方,一切都得从头来起。唉,看来我也只能这么做了。
LL: You must remember some of what you wrote. You can start by writing that down before you forget it.
LH: 我脑子里是记得一些我写的东西。先把我记得的部份写下来。这倒是个好主意,这样总比一切从头开始要好一些。
LL: Don't feel so bad, Li Hua. It could be worse. My uncle spent years working on a novel. But a computer virus 3 destroyed his computer and the backup disk. He was back to square one.
LH: 我的天啊!你叔叔比我更惨,写了多年的小说就这样没了。要是我的话,我可能就会放弃了。
LL: But my uncle said he's going to rewrite the novel despite the fact he had to start from square one.
LH: 你叔叔真有毅力呀!嗯,Larry,你有没有闻到一股烧焦味?
LL: Oh no! I forgot about the pizza in the oven 4. It's burning! Li Hua, I'm so sorry. I'm afraid that we're back to square one with dinner, too
LH: 不得了,比撒饼在烤箱里都忘了。哎呀,你看,都烤焦了。看来我们得重新打电话订比萨饼了。
LL: That's a good idea because this one is completely 5 burned.
******
LL: Let's watch TV while we're eating. The Simpsons are on. I love watching The Simpsons; it's such a killer show.
LH: 哎哟,Larry,你有没有搞错啊?“辛普森家族”是个卡通节目,很好玩的。哪是什么杀人行凶的节目呢?
LL: No, I don't mean "killer" as in deadly. I mean killer as in awesome 6 or really cool.
LH: 噢,原来这里的killer不是杀人,而是指某样东西很棒,很酷。我也觉得“辛普森家族”是个很棒,很好笑的节目。
LL: This is killer pizza, too. I'll have to remember to order pizza from the same restaurant next time.
LH: 对,这比萨饼真好吃。没错,下回再到这个饭馆去订。 Larry,我已经看过这一集“辛普森家族”了,这一集真的很好笑。
LL: Yeah, you're right, this is a killer episode 7. I can watch it over and over again and never get tired of it.
LH: 这一集我也看了好几遍了,但是还没有看厌。Larry,我觉得另外一个电视连续剧也可以算得上是个killer show。
LL: What show?
LH: 那个描写6个年轻男女在纽约市的“六人行”节目。那是我最喜欢的电视节目之一,每次播那个节目,我绝对不会错过!
LL: There are probably several million people who agree with you. That is a killer show, and one of the most popular TV shows in history.
LH: 许多人都同意我的观点! 那是美国电视节目有史以来最红的节目之一。这么说,你同意我的判断噜?
LL: I think the show could be better, but Jennifer Aniston has killer legs.
LH: 啊!原来你的注意力全在女主角的一双漂亮的腿上呀?
LL: It's not the only reason, but she does have killer legs.
今天李华学到两个常用语。一个是back to square one, 是指一切从头来过。另一个常用语是killer。这是形容某样东西或某件事很棒,很酷。
- Heart attacks have become Britain's No.1 killer disease.心脏病已成为英国的头号致命疾病。
- The bulk of the evidence points to him as her killer.大量证据证明是他杀死她的。
- That man used artful means to find out secrets.那人使用狡猾的手段获取机密。
- We must get it done by some means or other.我们总得想办法把它干完。
- He is suffering from a virus infection.他受到病毒感染。
- There is a virus going round the world.世界上流行着一种病毒性疾病。
- You put food inside an oven to cook it.你把食物放进烤箱里热一下。
- She baked bread in an oven.她用烤炉烤面包。
- She never completely gave up hope.她从不完全放弃希望。
- I feel completely in the dark on this question.这件事使我感到茫然。
- The church in Ireland has always exercised an awesome power.爱尔兰的教堂一直掌握着令人敬畏的权力。
- That new white convertible is totally awesome.那辆新的白色折篷汽车简直棒极了.