Business Etiquette 礼节美语 第037讲
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他接到公司晚宴派对的邀请,但是不想去。
(Office ambience)
CH:Hi Amy, 我刚刚收到邀请,老板请我们去吃饭。
A:I received one, too.
C:你去吗?
A:Of course. Aren't you?
C:我不太想去。
A:Why not? It's going to be a nice party at an upscale restaurant.
C:我不想跟同事出去玩儿;他们跟我关系虽说都不错,但大家毕竟不是朋友。
A:I'm afraid that doesn't matter. Part of the reason for inviting 1 everyone is to build rapport 2 among all of us who work together.
C:Rapport是什么意思啊。
A:Rapport means building relationships between people, establishing trust and mutual 3 understanding.
C:跟同事搞好关系也不一定非得出去玩儿啊。
A:Attendance at the office party is a part of your job. To go or not to go is not a choice. The boss expects you to be there.
C:这么说是不能不去了。我要是有其它事呢?
A:It better be something important for you to forego the office party and risk offending the boss.
C:我可不想得罪老板,让我再想想吧。
******
到了第二天....
A:Well, CH, did you decide to go to the party?
C:去,不过我要带个朋友。
A:I hate to tell you this, but that would not be acceptable.
C:星期六晚上出去应酬,带个朋友还不行吗?
A:Unless your invitation says "and guest, " it would be poor etiquette 4 to take someone with you.
C:那好,我打个照面,待一会儿就走。
A:That's not going to work either. This is a seated dinner party so you have stay the entire time.
C:晚餐完了我总可以走了吧?
A:You must stay until our host, the boss, stands to indicate that dinner is over. Then good manners dictate 5 you don't leave before your thank him for the evening and tell him good-bye.
C:Amy, 我真没想到,公司派对还会这么郑重其事。还有什么要注意的吗?
A:Just a word of caution. If you drink alcoholic 6 beverages 7, do it in moderation. Some people forget that rule and overdo 8 it. Not only is it embarrassing, you could jeopardize 9 your job.
C:这我知道,一定注意不会多喝。你能不能再总结一下,看看都有哪些注意事项。
A:Attendance is required. Read your invitation carefully so you know what the occasion is and if guests are included.
C:我知道,还有就是晚宴结束前不能告退。
A:That's right. Don't forget to say your good-byes. And go easy on the alcohol.
C:谢谢你,Amy,我一定照办。
- An inviting smell of coffee wafted into the room.一股诱人的咖啡香味飘进了房间。
- The kitchen smelled warm and inviting and blessedly familiar.这间厨房的味道温暖诱人,使人感到亲切温馨。
- She has an excellent rapport with her staff.她跟她职员的关系非常融洽。
- We developed a high degree of trust and a considerable personal rapport.我们发展了高度的互相信任和不错的私人融洽关系。
- We must pull together for mutual interest.我们必须为相互的利益而通力合作。
- Mutual interests tied us together.相互的利害关系把我们联系在一起。
- The rules of etiquette are not so strict nowadays.如今的礼仪规则已不那么严格了。
- According to etiquette,you should stand up to meet a guest.按照礼节你应该站起来接待客人。
- It took him a long time to dictate this letter.口述这封信花了他很长时间。
- What right have you to dictate to others?你有什么资格向别人发号施令?
- The alcoholic strength of brandy far exceeds that of wine.白兰地的酒精浓度远远超过葡萄酒。
- Alcoholic drinks act as a poison to a child.酒精饮料对小孩犹如毒药。
- laws governing the sale of alcoholic beverages 控制酒类销售的法规
- regulations governing the sale of alcoholic beverages 含酒精饮料的销售管理条例
- Do not overdo your privilege of reproving me.不要过分使用责备我的特权。
- The taxi drivers' association is urging its members,who can work as many hours as they want,not to overdo it.出租车司机协会劝告那些工作时长不受限制的会员不要疲劳驾驶。
- Overworking can jeopardize your health.工作过量可能会危及你的健康。
- If you are rude to the boss it may jeopardize your chances of success.如果你对上司无礼,那就可能断送你成功的机会。