TED演讲:温和的成功哲学(7)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
And I went to talk to them about certain of the great tragedies of Western art. 我去找他们聊聊西方艺术中最伟大的几个悲剧故事。
I wanted to see how they would seize the bare bones of certain stories, 我想知道他们会如何露骨地以新闻的方式,
if they came in as a news item at the news desk on a Saturday afternoon. 在周日下午的新闻台上呈现这些经典悲剧故事。
I mentioned Othello; they'd not heard of it but were fascinated. 我谈到他们从未耳闻的《奥赛罗》,他们啧啧称奇。
I asked them to write a headline for the story. 我要求他们以奥赛罗的故事写一句头条。
They came up with "Love-Crazed Immigrant Kills Senator's Daughter." Splashed across the headline. 他们写道,“移民因爱生恨,刺杀参议员之女”。大头条。
I gave them the plotline of Madame Bovary. Again, a book they were enchanted 1 to discover. 我告诉他们《包法利夫人》的故事,他们再一次感到惊异万分。
And they wrote "Shopaholic Adulteress Swallows Arsenic 2 After Credit Fraud." 他们写道,“不伦购物狂信用欺诈,出墙妇女吞砒霜”。
And then my favorite -- they really do have a kind of genius of their own, these guys 我最喜欢的是,这些记者真的很有才,
my favorite is Sophocles' Oedipus the King: "Sex With Mum Was Blinding." 我最喜欢的是索福克勒斯的《俄狄浦斯王》:“与母亲的盲目性爱”。
In a way, if you like, at one end of the spectrum 3 of sympathy, you've got the tabloid 4 newspaper. 如果同理心的一个极端是这些八卦小报,
At the other end of the spectrum, you've got tragedy and tragic 5 art. 另一个极端便是悲剧和悲剧艺术。
And I suppose I'm arguing that we should learn a little bit about what's happening in tragic art. 我想说的是或许我们该从悲剧艺术中学习。
It would be insane to call Hamlet a loser. He is not a loser, though he has lost. 你不会说哈姆雷特是个失败者,虽然他失败了,他却不是一个失败者。
And I think that is the message of tragedy to us, and why it's so very, very important, I think. 我想这就是悲剧所要告诉我们的,也是我认为非常重要的一点。
The other thing about modern society and why it causes this anxiety, is that we have nothing at its center that is non-human. 现代社会让我们焦虑的另一个缘故是,我们除了人类以外没有其它重心。
We are the first society to be living in a world where we don't worship anything other than ourselves. 我们是从古至今的第一个无神社会,除了我们自己以外,我们不膜拜任何事物。
We think very highly of ourselves, and so we should; we've put people on the Moon, done all sorts of extraordinary things. 我们对自己评价极高,为什么不呢。我们把人送上月球,达成了许多不可思议的事。
And so we tend to worship ourselves. 我们习惯崇拜自己。
n.砒霜,砷;adj.砷的
- His wife poisoned him with arsenic.他的妻子用砒霜把他毒死了。
- Arsenic is a poison.砒霜是毒药。
n.谱,光谱,频谱;范围,幅度,系列
- This is a kind of atomic spectrum.这是一种原子光谱。
- We have known much of the constitution of the solar spectrum.关于太阳光谱的构成,我们已了解不少。
adj.轰动性的,庸俗的;n.小报,文摘
- He launched into a verbal assault on tabloid journalism.他口头对小报新闻进行了抨击。
- He believes that the tabloid press has behaved disgracefully.他认为小报媒体的行为不太光彩。
标签:
TED演讲