TED演讲:别对我撒谎(11)
时间:2019-01-18 作者:英语课 分类:TED演讲教育篇
英语课
Why do they do that? Well, we all do the same thing. 嫌疑人为什么会这样?这其实是人之常情。
We rehearse our words, but we rarely rehearse our gestures. 我们会事先想好说什么,但很少事先想好做什么样的动作。
We say "yes," we shake our heads "no." 我们说“是”而我们却在摇头表示“否”。
We tell very convincing stories, we slightly shrug 1 our shoulders. 我们说的故事非常有说服力,但我们却轻轻地耸了耸肩。
We commit terrible crimes, and we smile at the delight in getting away with it. 我们犯了严重的罪,而在侥幸逃脱时面露微笑。
Now, that smile is known in the trade as "duping delight." 这种微笑被称为“欺骗的喜悦”。
And we're going to see that in several videos moving forward, but we're going to start -- for those of you who don't know him, this is presidential candidate 2 John Edwards who shocked America by fathering a child out of wedlock 3. 我们会在接下来的几个视频中看到,现在开始可能有人不认识他,我先介绍一下他是前总统候选人约翰·爱德华兹,他因育有一个私生子而震惊全美。
We're going to see him talk about getting a paternity test. 我们将看到他谈论进行亲子鉴定的事。
See now if you can spot him saying, "yes" while shaking his head "no," slightly shrugging his shoulders. 看看你们能否发现,他在说“是”的时候,他的头却在摇、肩膀在耸。
Lots of people do that. I'd be happy to participate in one. 很多人那么做。我很乐意去做鉴定。
I know that it's not possible that this child could be mine, because of the timing 4 of events. 我知道这个孩子不可能是我的,因为时间不对。
So I know it's not possible. Happy to take a paternity test, and would love to see it happen. 我知道这不可能是我的。我乐意进行亲子鉴定。也很想知道结果。
v.耸肩(表示怀疑、冷漠、不知等)
- With a shrug,he went out of the room.他耸一下肩,走出了房间。
- I admire the way she is able to shrug off unfair criticism.我很佩服她能对错误的批评意见不予理会。
n.候选人;候补者;投考者,申请求职者
- Voters like a candidate who has the common touch. 投票者喜欢那些平易近人的候选人。
- The local newspapers dressed up the candidate as a boxer.当地报纸把那个候选人描绘成一个拳击手。
n.婚姻,已婚状态
- My wife likes our wedlock.我妻子喜欢我们的婚姻生活。
- The Fawleys were not made for wedlock.范立家的人就跟结婚没有缘。
标签:
TED演讲